Looking for an Elk Horn Fern For DMIL

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone.
My DMIL would love to find one of these ferns. She had a beautiful one in Oregon but left it when she moved. Now that Pops has passed away I would really love to find one for her. Not that Pops is the reason I just think it would bring back some good memories for her. Please help me out if you can. If you know where I can find these or if someone has one to share I would be for ever grateful. What I meant to say is a Stag horn fern.
Thanks

This message was edited Jun 10, 2004 8:08 PM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I can get you a baby staghorn if it will help.
Janice

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, That would be wonderful. Let me know what you need.
She will me so excited. Thank you, thank you, thank you! A stag horn fern is what I meant anyway.
Jan

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Jan! You can also find some very nice staghorns on EBay~ There is a seller that I have bought hoyas from, and he sent me beautiful ones...I imagine his staghorns(he has 2 types) are just as nice....he's reasonable too~ I have 3 huge stags hanging in my atrium area on wood...I love them, and was considering trying this other variety he has to offer....p.s email me and I can share the sellers name....Debra~

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

yeah, I know the few folks selling stags on ebay... very nice selection, and good sizes too.

plus super nice platycerium fanatics

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Jan, it will be a small, say 12", baby. I can probably pick it up next week unless I make a trip north. Then it will be about 2 weeks. I thought I had your address but do not so send it to me. I am sure the girlfriend I am getting it from would love to swap for some hoya if you have a piece rooted.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Frogsrus,
That would be great. I do have some rooted cuttings. Just let me know how you want to do the swap. Thanks so much.
Jan

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Stand by. I will give her a call and see if I can get it on Monday. You should see her plant. It is about 40 yrs old and a beauty.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I finally got one for my DMIL now she is asking me how to care for it? Does anyone have any info on the care of this plant. It's a beauty. All info will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jan

Hi TJan, just found this thread today. I bought a baby staghorn fern (5" high; its so cute!) yesterday, and it is potted in sphagnum moss. I've had two in the past and they died on me. I'm having better luck with ferns lately and thought I'd give this one another try. I'm going to just treat it the same way as my others, they're all in my kitchen windows, which face north, and I keep them moderately moist. Good luck to your DMIL!

This message was edited Aug 30, 2004 8:25 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.