Strawberry Predator?

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

We just started harvesting strawberries from a small but mature bed. We thought the robins had found them first as one of the berries had a clean, 1/4" diameter hole poked into it, so we scurried to build a protective cover of chicken wire over the top and along the side of the bed. Two days later, we're picking a few more ripe strawberries, and finding a few more holes. Then I spotted a skinny white worm, about 1/2" long, inside one that had a hole, and two other worms on other berries with holes. What is this worm? And is it the one causing the damage or merely taking advantage of it?

I've tried to search the Forums for clues, but have been unsuccessful thus far. Any help would be most appreciated! :)

(editted 06/10/2004 for clarity)
(editted 06/21/2004 to show my ignorance)

Okay, color me a newbie! Though I had not yet seen slugs during my past year here in Eastern Washington, as it is so arid compared to some of the places I've lived, I think I've found my culprits... lil ones about 1/2" long... and so far, they seem to like a 'nightcap' of a saucer with beer in it. Strawberries are happier, I'm happier, life is good! *giggle*

I'm still not quite sure what the skinny worms are, though, but I haven't found that many recently...

This message was edited Jun 10, 2004 3:09 PM

This message was edited Jun 21, 2004 2:30 PM

This message was edited Jun 21, 2004 2:31 PM

Missoula, MT(Zone 4b)

I hope it's okay to add to such an old post. This is exactly what I have, and more or less in the same area. (Here in Missoula we consider Spokane a neighbor :-) Yesterday I found tiny white worms in some of my strawberries. They were all hanging out of round holes at the very end of the fruit - one had so many that it looked like it had grown a beard. I wish now that I had taken a picture, but at the time I was too disgusted.
This is the first time I've seen them. The only thing I did differently this year was that I mulched the strawberries with shredded corn leaves and stalks. Any ideas about what these critters are and how to get rid of them?

Greensburg, PA

I'm wondering if corn worms will eat strawberries if corn is not available..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.