Blooming Today...

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Here are a few of mine blooming today.
I've reduced the quality of the pic hoping they'll load quickly.

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

and this

and...

and I guess I've hit my limit on images, no more will load. :-(

This message was edited May 12, 2004 11:20 AM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful! I am very jealous.....such lovely colors. Wow!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I am new to iris...this is my very first year with any blooming...here's my first one that bloomed a few days ago. Vanity's Child

Thumbnail by picturelady
San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

and another....Lacy Hargood...

Thumbnail by picturelady
San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

and another....Zandria

Thumbnail by picturelady
San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Ophs...looks like the last one is on it's side !! Sorry...just turn your head and it will look fine ! : )))

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Lord have mercy on my soul! I feel another addiction coming on! LOL! :) Bev

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

anahi....I started with an addiction in daylilies 2 years ago, and now have around 170! This year I moved to include iris, hosta and brugs!!! Really alot of fun! Keeps me smiling!! : )))))

Can't think of a greater thing to be addicted too, but plants and flowers!!

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh Melissa -- that first one is just lovely!
Picturelady -- Zandria is just so pretty too!!

Can you tell I like bi-tones??? :)

Thanks... I just wish Iris bloomed all season.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Are there later blooming varieties that could be staggered?
Stupid newbie question.....sorry :-(

edited for spelling........................

This message was edited May 12, 2004 2:51 PM

oops, wrong photo, sorry.

There are rebloomers, but they aren't real consistent.

They all pretty much bloom at the same time, with the smaller and intermediate blooming before the tall bearded, normally.

Wonder why I couldn't post these this morning?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Figured as much....thanks for the reply :-)

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

melissa...really pretty...looks like I am going to do what I see you doing in your garden. I had some raised beds built about a month ago, and am already running out of planting room. I was thinking that I need to plant next to them!!!

Actually the Iris were there long before the raised bed... We had a big stump in the yard right there, and hubby built a bed "over it" for me to plant petunias in.... unfortunately, or fortunately, however you look at it... that bed has become my "babysitting" bed. I usually put things in it that I want to keep a close eye on, or things that I just don't know where to put yet. Over the past couple of years, it's filled up.... LOL

I love iris, so I have done this to get a long season of blooms. I start with the IRIS RETICULATA-- tiny dwarf iris that bloom in March.
then I have planted the following in order of bloom time
DWARF BEARDED IRIS
ARILBRED IRIS
INTERMEDIATE BEARDED IRIS
BORDER BEARDED IRIS
TALL BEARDED IRIS
SPURIA IRIS and SIBERIAN IRIS
LOUISIANA IRIS
JAPANESE IRIS

All in all the blooms should keep coming for over 2 months.

About the time the Japanese Iris are blooming, my daylilies are just starting up and that is another addiction in it's own right. :)

this is just an old un named one, but I love it.

The texture and dusting on this one is just fantastic.

Wow -- is that one as HUGE as it looks?? So beautiful and full of ruffles.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Melissa...What is the name of the very first iris you posted. It's a "must have" to feed my new addiction! :)

It doesn't have a name, it is one that "volunteered" a couple of years ago. A cross between the two below. It grows right in between the two of them. It's a beautiful flower,yes, but the bud count is lousy, and the pink fades. A couple of people may have gotten a peice of it last fall when I was dividing and trading..... it reminds me of Liason with different colors.

Wow -- that is amazing!

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

I think I'm learning alot about iris! So some of the things you look for is bud count and how the color stands up? Is that what the dykes medal awards look for? I'm feeling a little stupid here, please bear with me. :)))) Bev

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We have lots of those pictured and many more as I'm sure all of the rest of you do. I really need to learn how to post pictures taken with the digital camera so we can show off our blessings too.

I'm getting a couple more in a few weeks for trade and just for digging. I saw them in Sedalia & just stopped to ask if I could do some trading for them. The answer to one was yes and the other said to just come get a start. They will be getting a trade but don't know it. I'll just pick one that will look nice in their bed and stick it in when I dig the starts.

I'm on the lookout now for reticulata, Siberian and Lousianas. Japanese aren't hardy here in central MO so I have to keep them in pots on the porch or in the house during the winter. So I won't be getting many of them. I do have a Japonica coming from The Iris Gallery next week.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Leaflady, I have white siberians and purple Louisianas if you'd like. I'll post a picture of the purple as soon as I figure out how.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

pins...to post photo from your hard drive...just click on Browse (below this post box), find the image, click Preview and its done! Of course you have to have the image on your HD first! Good luck!! We would love to see them!

Going My Way

From Wanda

Another Volunteer

His Royal Highness

Before the Storm

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

IF THATS A SEEDLING IT SURE LOOKS LIKE ITS GOT SWEETER THAN WINE IN ITS PARENTAGE .THEY CAN POP UP 3 OR 4 GENERATIONS BACK TO A OLD ANCESTER I VE BEEN CROSSING AND KEEPING RECORDS FOR 20 YEARS AND AM AMAZED THAT EVERY SEED IN POD CAN BE DIFFERNT, AND NOT LOOK LIKE ETHIER PARENT. BUT I GET MY REGISTRATION BOOK OUT AND CAN TRACE PARENTAGE BACK TO FIRST SPIECES CROSS .WELL LOOKEY THERE ITS, OLD GREAT UNCLE WHATS HIS FACE SHOING UP IN MY SEEDLING. I NOTICED IF I GET THE COLOR IM AFTER ,FORM AND SUBSTANCE AND BUD COUNT GO DOWN DRAIN. BUT ITS SO MUCH FUN WAITING TO SEE SOMTHING BLOOM THAT NO ONES SAW BEFORE EVEN IF IT BARKS AT ME

Which one Tazzy? I can show you the parents, but I don't know their names.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh Melissa! They all look so pretty!! Gosh! Makes me anxious for mine to bloom, wont be long. Thank goodness.

I had a maroon one pop up betwean my old purple ones, I asked MANY years ago what happened, and I was told the PH changed... wouldnt that change all the others around that area too? lol oh well.

Thanks Shelly. ;-)

Here is Melissa Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.