Grapes help ( please :)

Jack, AL(Zone 8a)

Well, Guys and Gals this is my first post. I recently moved back home (Alabama). Since moving home I have fallen in love with gardening. To say that I have gone a little overboard is an understatement!!!

My next big adventure is grapes. I have a limited understanding of what to do. If ya'll could see it in your hearts to help a budding gardener out I would greatly appreciate it.

I built a support for the vines. I took two 6 feet landscape timbers and ran a 20 foot sheet of wire mesh (1 inch by 1 inch holes) between the two timbers. I left it 4-5 inches off the ground and ran it four feet up.

I built a watering system (that im quite proud of) made of PVC pipe. Basically it will mist the leaves and water the roots.

I tilled up the ground quite well.

So, tell me, first of all when I get the grape plants how do I plant them. Secondly, what can I expect as far as growth, spread...

Thanks
Gary Spivey

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Gary and welcome!

Let me me the one to invite you to go to the right column of your Dave's Garden page, find "Preferences" and under 'Location' add at least your state and zone. It looks like in AL you have only four choices -- plus this site will give it to you according to your zip:
http://www.garden.org/b2b/zipzone/index.asp

I would tell you how I have grown my single living grape (unfortunately it is also exactly how I grew the other grape that did not return from sleep this year...) -- but I am in such a different climate not to mention soil-type etc that it would be no help (even if I had NOT killed 50% of my efforts).

In fact, I bet you can grow muscadine/scuppernong grapes, and am I ever jealous!

So get your state and zone posted (yes, even though you mentioned it in your post, I want you to have every chance of getting good advice!) and once again -- Welcome! You've come to the right spot!
-- Xtal

Jack, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks CrystalSpin,

I wasnt even aware you could check out your exact zone!!

It says I'm in 8a. By the way, yes we have muscadine vine after muscadine vine after muscadine vines here. I don't think you could get rid of them if you tried :)

Gary

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, then, you can always grow muscadines! No really, I'm sure someone will pipe up any time now, someone from the US southeast: Horseshoe, Janet, Bug -- are you there?

(Not from AL, but closer than me!)

Drop by the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself! Mention your grape-quest in that message; someone might know someone who might not be checking the Fruit forum, but who does know grapes... Bunch of those SouthEast'rs know each other in person, and each other's gardens.
-- X.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy Gary! Welcome to DG!

I only grow the wild grapes myself but have a friend who is very much into them. His trellises are super duper sturdy...if I get over his way I should take some pics and post for ya.

I have an idea your grape vines will climb higher than your trellis. (Can you post a pic of it?)

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Just in time !!!

................Keep up with the info peeps,

I got DH some seedless green grape plants and Summit Raspberry plants. Something he really loves (me too), so soon we can enjoy both of these with out worrying about all the pesticides. Up here a 1/2 pint box of old raspberries costs $4 , the same price as one plant . "Good deal" I say.

Checking into my 40 year old books I have a pretty good idea of how to care for them but my major source of info will be here at DG of course =)

Hugs

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure grapes will grow higher than 6 feet (mine covers half the 'patio cover' ramada) -- but where they grow them for wine or raisins or whatever, they do not let them get tall but train along wires at picking height...

Re-reading your first post, Gary, the thing that occurs to me is the 1x1" holes will be a pain to clean of the vines you want to prune out! Grapes really wrap around wires... Also you need some local advice about the misting-thing: named-variety grapes are susceptible to a number of diseases and pests that might like the humidity more than the vine will!

On the other hand, there may be varieties not commonly grown in your area -- or other kinds of climbing plants/fruits/veggies -- that would thrive with your special set-up and watering system in a real feat of zonal denial!

Your industry is admirable -- it is so easy to pound a couple green metal fenceposts in the ground and stretch wire or chickenwire between them... it looks lousy and if your crop DOES do well, you either have to disrupt the plants or live with a half-arsed job forever... and I speak from experience!
~spin!~

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Hey Gary,
This may be a good place to start, take a look =)
I'll read along with you . LOL

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM1707.pdf

>^,,^< SB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.