how do i propergate a honeysuckle???

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i want to propergate my pink lemonade before i move this summer just in case she doesnt do the transplanting thing.

how do i root one??? just in water or what. any help welcome. Thanks marie

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Marie,

My propagation book specifies a different way than I did.

I successfully took some cuttings last year (3) and put them in water and in a window. I kept adding water, as needed.

One of them rooted, and I planted it outdoors, late late summer of last year. It survived a very cold winter and is growing nicely for me right now.

One thing you will find, is that it takes a good 2 to 3 years for the honeysuckle to really develop into a good sized vine.

Hope this helps - it was sure easy this way!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi Marie,

A few weeks ago I was cutting back my passiflora, to keep it from turning the corner and taking the fence the honeysuckle is on. In doing so, I accidently broke a vine from the honeysuckle. I just stuck it into a 1 gallon pot of soil and left it there (didn't really hold any hope of survival). Anyway, looking at it now, it's surviving. It has been in the line of the sprinklers so it gets watered 15 minutes every day. Some times my experiments work in spite of my ignorance.

Marie, sorry to change the subject, but wanted to know how the plumeria clippings were doing. When I sent you those, I also kept 2 for myself. I gave 1 away, so all I had left was one. However, see the picture, the 2nd clipping (the short one) I bought off ebay 3 months earlier. I did what they said on that Plumeria 101 site. Funny how the clipping I did is thriving much better than the ebay clipping. How's yours? Send pictures please

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

sent you email

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Honeysuckle seeds also germinate quite readily if left outside over winter.
Mike

Serena, IL(Zone 5a)

what do honeysuckle seeds look like?

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Honeysuckle seeds are usually inside berries.

Here is a good picture from the pdb:

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/39775/

I've seen them range in colors from dark purple to red, orange, green and white.

They are at best not very tasty and at worst poisonous. The only real exception is, Blue Honeysuckle, Edible Honeysuckle, Bearberry Honeysuckle (Lonicera caerulea var edulis), http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/2696/index.html which is grown for its berries.

Maybe someone else knows about the exact procedure for cleaning and saving seeds.

I do know they are often spread in a very messy way after being eaten by birds, (if you catch my drift).

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow thanks for the info. now i will start looking for berries. maybe the birds have been eating my babies all these years as i have never seen a berry yet. thanks agian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.