bloomin angelica seeds!!...

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'm desperate for some advice. I have lost count of how many times I've tried to start off Angelica (different types) seeds.I do exactly as they say, on top of the compost etc. but I can never get them to germinate. What am I doing wrong here?At the moment I have A. gigas, and A. hispanica seeds ,but not a murmer from them, Please, please.please...someone come up with a fool proof way to get these,I'm determined they're not going to beat me LOL.

I sow them and leave them outside, but they do have to be fresh with a capital F to germinate quickly. I don't know how long since you sowed them but if they are from trade or packets you coule be looking at 3 months to see anything appear, once over a year old they tend to have a very low viability

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

I too, tried for several years to get them to germinate.
The secret is to start them early, they need the cold temps to germinate. Once I sowed them and put them outside late winter, they came up in the spring.

I bought one lot in the Autumn, sowed them, and stuck them in my cold-frame.So far no activity.I bought a second lot after Christmas, and have sowed those too in hopes that out of all of them something will move.
I'm wondering Baa if they are not as fresh as they could have been. I often have better germination results from seeds collected and exchanged than bought seeds.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Debby, glad I'm not the only one to struggle with these, though by the sound of ity ,you succeeded in the end.
Thanks for the advice, I guess patience is neede here.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

sueone: Once you get them growing in the garden, they will reseed themselves. I just noticed I have baby angelica's. I still have one Angelica Gigas left and it even bloomed last year. They are suppose to die after blooming, but this one is going strong. Good luck. If I can catch the seeds this year, I will send you some, then you will know they are fresh.

thanks Debby, I WILL succeed......

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Mine reseed so heavily that they get sent to the garden club sale every year. The bees and the wasps love them.

When I get to that stage,I'll make certain that I pot up some of the spare seedlings, so's I never have to go through this again.
Isn't it sods law that seeds that you're desperate for to succeed won't, and others that don't really matter, come up like cress.Oh well...such is life :-)

I grow Angelica yearly but it won't reseed for me at all!

Good luck Sueone

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.