Spoiled African Violet?

Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

We have a local Greenhouse here called the Violet Barn. I got a Violet there last summer, repotted it and it hasn't done a thing. In fact it has hardly grown. I was looking at it the other day and it's healthy but unchanged. Was it maybe spoiled under all the grow lights and fertilizers? The VB is a wonderful place but hardly open this time of year. Or I would just ask them. Tx, for any reply. Mere

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

You know, I was just thinking the same this morning about a rotten violet that I have here in Texas. I have a huge assortment, successfully growing and blooming, EXCEPT for a stubborn one that my husband bought for me @ Lowe's. I don't know the name, just a NOID standard f/Canada. I share your frustration in doing EVERYthing "right," and still having no luck. No growth, no blooms, no progress AT ALL. >=(

I will watch this thread to see if anyone can help us with our plight!

=) Kathleen

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Hiya Ladies,
I grow a few AV's too. I just tried some "SuperThrive Vitamins" on some of mine.
It sure seemed to help.
It is hard to tell what the problem could be.
But here are a few suggesstions that you might try:
* put it in a different spot with more light and/or add a longer period of light. (10-12 hrs a day use a timer if you need to)
* try lightly misting it with a tempid water & fertilizer mix
* try a different fertilizer
* let it dry completely out then start watering it and then
1 week later fertilize it with a mild solution of fertiler PLUS a
1/4 tsp Epson salt added.

Hope some of helps you out.I sure love growing mine.Keep us posted.:>)
Happy growing,
MsCritterkeeper

Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

Kathleen I don't know if you can relate... but MsC, I did all of those things, minus the epson salt(which you are the second to let me in on that, however I do not know what for) and little by little it would get a little better with everything I did. I'm gonna go for the epson salt. It just so happens that it's pretty dried out now, which was my last attempt at starting over with it. Please try to post again MsC and tell me why epson salt? Or I will forever own the bloomless violet. lol I'll keep ya posted Kath, ;) Mere

Hiya Mere,
Here's the info on Epson Salt straight from (I think, The International Orchid )website I found it on.
Just so ya don't think I'm a brain, lol.
Don't be discouraged ...some violets are just easier to grow & get to bloom than others. I have one, too. Ya know there's always gotta be one in the bunch that has to be difficult.

Epson salt is Magnesium Sulfate:

And the Why?

Magnesium is a critical structural component of the chlorophyll molecule and is necessary for functioning of plant enzymes to produce carbohydrates, sugars and fats. It is used for fruit and nut formation and essential for germination of seeds. Deficient plants appear chlorotic, show yellowing between veins of older leaves; leaves may droop. Magnesium is leached by watering and must be supplied when feeding.
You can try Superthrive vitamins on it,too...I have had such good luck with it on my AV babies and I really think it might work.

Hope that helps...

Lottie

Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

Gosh Lottie, Thank you so much!!! I'll always try something new as long as I know why. I'll go pick up some superthrive vitamins too. Why not, the boyfriend already thinks I'm nuts, can't wait to hear what he says about vitamins for my violets.lol! Again, thanks for the quick response and the advice!!!! Mere

You are so welcomed Mere.
Tell the boyfriend that your African Violet is a female and has Hormonal Issues.lol That should make his eyes roll...:}
Keep us posted...
Lottie

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow--MsCritter, that was interesting! Guess I'll have to run out with Mere and grab that Epsom too! Already have the SuperThrive...had stopped giving it to my violets as a standard thing, but will try it w/Mr. Nothing Noid (or, should I say Ms.?lol). Was tempted to chunk it today, but it's living and all....so...I'm a sucker.

Oh, Mere, your boyfriend has NO idea....my husband now calls my 100+ violets "the tribbles," as in the cute little furry creatures that multiplied and took over The Enterprise on Star Trek!

Bonified Plant Nut,
Kathleen

(p.s. Do keep posting, and we can compare notes!) =)

Kathleen,
That is too funny...tribbles...I remember those. =}
Yes, they do tend to multiple.I have them everywhere, too. Top of the fridge,shelves & shelves ,dinner table,bookshelves, on my desk, on his desk...patio, the kitchen window ...
I had no idea they were so easy to grow. My daughter gave me one for my birthday last year & I was addicted. Of course it doesn't take much to encourage my plant addiction.lol
Hubby likes them cause they are cheap..he calls em wife training treats..when we go to WalMart I get a new one if I'm really good.lol
I LOVE the Mini's!

Thumbnail by MsCritterkeeper
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I love violets too! That was interesting Lottie, I'm glad to know that. And your other steps I am going to try with some of mine too. I have 4 right now. I just love growing them.

The 4 I have, 1 is blooming and the other are growing and whatnot but not blooming- what can I do to get them to bloom?

Maybe we can pester Dave into a AV forum? Yea?

Welcome to our corner of Daves art n garden ...
If we got a AV forum maybe some of the "real experts" would come join us and get us all straightened out.lol
I know they sell like Brugs on ebay.
It's just nice to know there are others out there that enjoy them as much as I do. They are one of the few true flowering plants that really does flower in the house and they saved me from loosing my mind during the winter that's for sure.:}
So whats blooming at your houses today got a pic?

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

There you are!! I thought I had lost this thread. YES, we need our own forum.

MsC, your mini's are beautiful. We met talking about AVs on another thread (can't remember where), but you mentioned minis and I had never heard of them. Soooooo.... I went to GOOGLE and found Selective Gardner. They had 4 mini's for I think it was $20.00. They are beautiful. Had little wicks in the bottom of their pots. They sent four packets of Optima AV food (1 pk per gallon of water) that you use to water the AV's each time. My seven big ones (Home Depot, no name) are doing fine on it. Too soon to know if they will keep on blooming.

I ordered the little pots for the minis and they came today. I'm trying to take a pix now.
Pati

The one on the left is "Seneca Girl"
on the right is "Pawnee Girl"

Thumbnail by patischell

The one on the left is "Creek Girl"
The one on the right is Maya Girl" (deep Burgandy)

Thumbnail by patischell
Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh my, I'm in envy! Mine IS pathetic to me now. Going to town to get supplies. I WILL have blooms. I can grow anything usually. This might drive me nuts. Can't wait till the violet barn opens must get more. Tx guys for the pic's I'm beggining to think I have a dud! Mere

We can stay right here & talk about Av's forever.lol
I have tons of babies I need homes for so email me if you want to do trades etc.Maybe I have something you don't & vice versa...I have the Semi Mini's too and a few babies off them.Most have no names but they are still pretty. I have one of the Space Violets that is nice & just finihed blooming,it's Purple.
Here's a few on their shelf...

Here's the Space Violet...

MsC, Is that one of those shelves that you can stack canned food on so you can see it? That's such a great idea.

One more question pleeeese. My Optimara regular violet food is 14-12-14. The liquid Optimara liquid mini food is 7-9-5. I don't understand why it is different. Does anyone?
Pati

Pati, Yes it's a spice rack for your kitchen shelves.lol...
In the winter I usually have a tray with gravel under it to catch water drips and to add humidity..the lights are up there using wide strong velcro strips.That way I can change the light bulbs easliy.
The fertilizer is one of those personal choices issues..I'd use the lesser of the 2 for resting AV's that have bloomed & bloomed..the other I'd use for bringing them into bloom & maitaining them while in bloom. Everybody has a different stlye and I am still new so...this works for me.
I have had great luck with MG Super bloom at half strength & Peter's brand, too. I'd price compare the Optimara & see which is cheaper.Alternating fertilizing with the misting & watering...also the Epson Salt will put blooms on almost anything..lol..I do rest them & flush the pots frequently too, because ya gotta remember Epson Salt is SALT ! hahah
Not good long term on the roots.Then, I let them get almost dry before I start over with the whole process. I occassionaly give mine a gentle bath with tempid water..I immediately dry EACH & EVERY leaf with absorbent paper towel, too..
It works for me..that's all I can say...so try it on 1 or 2 of yours & check the results.

Thanks MsC. I'm printing all the info on this thread for reference. It's good to have some more AV friends. So far NY, TX and FL. Now it's time to go feed the zoo. (G)
Pati

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Great pictures! I have two space violets. I like to buy them from the clearance rack at the supermarket. Mine were hulking green plants with no flowers. but they live on a shelf next to an eastern facing window. very bright from sunlight, but no heat. That's what they seem to like and are blooming away. Have any of you had any success propagating AV's?

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah, MsCritterKeeper!! Your photo (and use) of the kitchen rack is great!!! Your tons-of-double-blooms plant in the front center looks just like my Pittman's "Tally Ho." Bloom, ba-bloom, ba-bloom! =)

I'd LOVE an African Violet forum!!! So much to learn, share and show off! ;-)

Pati--how does one order the pots f/Selective Gardener? I've looked, and it always appears as though I have to order the plants in them....am I wrong?

AV's....love them......people who also grow AV's....love talking to them!

Kathleen in Texas

I ordered the 4 little blue & white pots that didn''t come with plants. I wanted the clear bottom ones also, but like you say, they seem to only come with plants. I found one in the clear bottom at my grocery store that had DOUBLE purple blooms and it had a suction cup made on it so you could stick it on the window pane. I really love the minis!!!

Glad to see more post on AV's...so how is everyones Av's doing? I have some new ones blooming and even a Mini baby one too...it has a new home and will be going out in the mail sometime this week.

Here's a tip I started using because of the cost of those cute little pots...instead of buying the little self watering pots try using the clear glass or even the decorative votive candle cups and some small aquarium gravel or plastic beads of your choice and stick the wick in the bottom of the gravel.Add just enough water to cover the gravel but not the bottom of the pot. It works great, it's cheap, decorative and it even adds a little humidity too!:) Votive cups sell for around 2/$1.oo and a bag of natural gravel is like $3.oo for a huge sack.
You can have a little color even when they aren't blooming.

I will post some pics for you of them and a pic of 1 tray of the babies I have used the Super Thrive on...

Here are a couple of pics...hope you can see the votive cup & gravel...I think you will get the idea...and there are prettier votive cups.

And another shot...

And some babies in the tray...Hope you enjoy the pics.
MsC.

I LOVE the idea, the pictures and you for posting it! When my minis came in the mail it was panic time, had no idea how to keep the string wet. Until I odered the little pots I put them in the cheap plastic champagne glasses. You know the kind with the bowl and hollow stem. AV in the bowl, string and water down in the hollow stem. That way I could see when they were running out of water. The votive cup idea is SUPER! My babies are now loosing the blooms they came with, holding my breath to see if they give me new blooms!
Pati

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I really love the AV pots. They make it much easier. I have 10 AV and they are all blooming.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I wanted to show a few of mine. Thanks for looking.
HP sometimes I think we fuss to much over a plant and they don't like it. :)

Thumbnail by makshi
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

more

Thumbnail by makshi
Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

How do you propagate AVs? By cuttings? Or by seed? I've seen them before, but I don't have any. They seem like a nice little flowering plant.

Lori

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Lori, it's fairly easy to propagate by a leaf cutting. Just cut off an older leaf ( I think??) and stick it in moist soil, and it should root in 4-5 weeks. Eventually it will produce a new plant, sometimes multiple pups, and voila you have a new av. I'd be glad to send you a leaf or two. (if someone would tell me the best way to do so :) )

LadyR,
Glad to see another interested soul in AV's..lol
If you are interested I have a whole tray of un-named violets I could send you a few to play with for the shipping cost,but it would be cheaper if you just bought one at WalMart for $1.96. then you can decide if you like them enough to buy expensive ones...eBay is a great source.:>)
I love them and have tons of them.

Art, You are right about everything except using an older leaf.
You actually have better luck with a young but mature leaf.
Everyone has their own way of shipping leaves...one way is to send the whole leaf with the tip slightly tipped with hormone powder and wrapped with a moistened paper towel or tissue.You can then place that in a baggie and blow it up like a ballon..pack it in a small box with some newspaper or p-nuts and just ship Priority.

Enjoy,
Lottie

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

Ah... Walmart.... How I miss it... Only three hours south of me... just a light sunday drive! :P Thankfully there are a couple local places I can go to buy plants. And a large Garden store an hour north of me in Eureka.

A big THANKS to critterkeeper and art-n-garden for the offers. If I can't find anything locally, I'll let you know! :)

Lori

LadyR,
I don't know about that 3 hour car trip, with the new gas prices it might be cheaper to ship it ...HAha..
You can also check the local flower section in the grocery stores, Lowe's and Home Depot, they sometimes have them, too.
Be sure to post a pic we love seeing new photos of Av's
Happy Shopping !

Garberville, CA(Zone 9a)

Oooo.... We just got a new Home Depot in Ukiah! Ok, it's a 2 hour drive, but it used to be almost three hours away, just below Santa Rosa! Yay. No Lowe's anywhere near here, although I try to stop in when I'm in LA, visiting family. I love the garden centers by my Grandmother's house. LOTS of them! :)

I'm on my way to Eureka tomorrow, and Pierson's has a ton of AVs, so I'll try to pick one up while I'm there. They usually have tiny ones, so at least if I kill it, there will be (less) guilt!

Lori

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Just found this thread. I also like African Violets and have quite a few. I don't have any named ones, I just pick them up at the grocery store or Home Depot. They are so pretty. Glad to see there are other AV lovers here. Jenny

Hi, I'm new to african violets also but I'm interested in the standard trailing violets. Are they normally sold in places like Lowe's or Home Depot? I've seen them on Ebay and I've been doing a search on google and came up with some online nurseries. Are they sold anywhere else?

Thanks for any help,
Susan

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I just thought i would add my 2 cents about AV's. I have 2 of them and boy do i love'em. I have one in my bathroom in front of the window, it is growing wonderfully to. I think i likes the moistness and heat from all the showers my family takes..lol. The other one i have is not growing all that well, thinking bout moving it into the bathroom as well to see how it does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.