Cool-season veggies?

There are a total of 121 votes:

Potatoes are in!
(3 votes, 2%)
Red dot

I have peas planted and/or coming up
(10 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Lettuce is up and growing (or will be soon!)
(16 votes, 13%)
Red dot

We plant cabbage, cauliflower and/or broccoli here
(5 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Some or all of the above
(19 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Cool-season is over and done with; time for warm-season crops
(19 votes, 15%)
Red dot

No early vegetable crops for me
(13 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I can't grow cool-season veggies here
(12 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Other?
(24 votes, 19%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Taters are in - that's all though.

North Tonawanda, NY(Zone 3a)

Still covered with the white stuff here!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Winter sowed my lettuce.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Probably none for me this year :(

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

too cold yet!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Lettuce and Onions are in. Seeding Swiss chard and spinich this week rain permitting. Ernie

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Nothing planted yet but I'll get it done soon. It seems we may be having a warm early spring this year now that the snow went away! I haven't had time to check the condition of the garden soil to see if I can get the tiller in there yet.

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

We still have a foot of snow on the ground.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Cool season seems to be over. :-(

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I have been eating fresh lettuce (salad bowl) since January.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Cool season is over here but I have replanted lettuce in a shady spot and have crossed fingers. I want lettuce and tomatoes at the same time!! Chard is year round here. Beets weren't much to speak of this year though. Ash from the fires make several things unhappy.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Voted "Other". Because it's to **** cold yet. Won't be planting here for another 2 or 3 weeks.
Planting potatoes on Good Friday might actually work this year.
Bernie

Saint Albans, VT(Zone 4b)

Hard to plant anything in frozen ground.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Ahhh, the geographic diversity of our members. Now y'all can see what fun we have trying to choose the right week to run a particular question!!!! The zone 10 folks have blown past "spring" and right into summer temperatures, while the zone 2, 3 and 4 members are still looking out their windows and seeing white stuff ;o)

I could have had a cool-season garden, but opted not to. I should get some lettuce out there while I still can, but I'm too busy tending my warm season veggies and flower seedlings. It was cold last night (25-26 F) but the rest of the week should be in the 60s, with overnight lows in the 40s and 50s - happy, happy spring weather here!

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 8a)

Other! I grow my vegs at the farmers market, lol.

Olympia, WA

Other.....I remember as a kid planting popsicle sticks - "just in case" ..... so I am planting pictures of chocolate eclairs!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I can't seem to find anyone to rototill our garden spot and my DH and I both have health concerns that won't allow us to do it. Our son is too busy with his new business so as of now I don't think I will have spring crops. :(

Last year was so wet everything rotted that was not in a
pot on the deck! Winter was soo cold....we are praying
for a not so rainy spring and summer...slug free! The East
was TUFF this year so far..

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Gee,I guess if I wanted to dig thru a foot of snow I could get something in...huh?

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes we have potatoes (50 lb. red pontiac and 50 lb. kennabac), peas, lettuce, beets, radishes, onions and spinich.
All are up except the potatoes and they are sprouting..
We are lucky to be on the sand and can work the garden early. Planted lettuce and spinich Feb 10th. All kinds of babies are up in the greenhouse. Looking foward to a great growing season

Thumbnail by LEEMARTIN
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I come from farming people and had to tend a veggie garden as a kid. I only grow herbs & useless beauty (flowers) now.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Welches, OR(Zone 6b)

We are eating a lot of lettuce and arugula right now (actually planted it last October). Radishes are starting to pop up, but the birds keep eating my pea seeds! We have collards and kale up as well as chard, garlic sprouts, Italian parsley, garlic chives and the hardy herbs are coming back now. Plus we are out there harvesting the nettles, fiddle heads and violet flowers. I love getting the edible flowers flowing in the salads:) One of these days I will get the potatoes in.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Our cold season is still too cold. We've got bits of snow left!

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I missed our traditional deadline of planting on St. Patrick's Day. This year it snowed.

I finally got the enough of the garden prepared and planted about half my spring veggies so far. Lettuce, petit pois peas, sugar snap peas, 3 kinds of onions, bok choy and beets. Still have to get 3 other lettuce varieties planted, as well as my early tomatoes and potatoes.

I will plant Brussel Sprouts mid-June; they aren't fit to eat until a frost, and that is early November for me. No other crucifers for me this year.

rogers, AR(Zone 7a)

We have been having cold then warm. Each day has been different. This week i plan on really getting out there.

Roan Mountain, TN(Zone 6a)

Potato Question- My Garden's doing well and it's harvest time.
After the corn is finished, I wanted to put in some seed potato's for next year. I thought about it but I wanted to know if they would make it through winter or if they would start growing and freeze and get ruined?
Then I was thinking that seed potato's might not even be available this time of year since all the Garden Centers are clearing out all their growing season items.
I'd apprecitate any imput. Is it ok to plant potatoe seeds in the fall or is it better to start off in early spring? North East Tennessee- Garden Chef

This message was edited Aug 8, 2004 12:26 AM

Roan Mountain, TN(Zone 6a)

LEEMARTIN- Please read my reply and tell me what you think.
Nice picture, looks like you have potato knowledge.
Garden Chef

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

This is an older thread - since you are not a subscriber, you might want to email LEEMARTIN, just click on his name for that. There is lots of potato info in the Vegetable Forum, available to subscribers only. I do know potatoes will freeze and become mush in the winter, they need to be planted in the spring and harvested before freezing. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.