Spider plant question

Clermont County, OH(Zone 6a)

I just rescued a new one the other and have just got it to perk back up. My question is for how to take the little plantlets off and start a new plant. I don't want to do it wrong and kill my plant. I know I have to do something soon since this little baby has like 34 - 38 little babies hanging off and more starting to grow on the arms further up. I have plenty of little pots and soil. Do you just cut the off the arm? I don't want to hack up the plant to much and hurt it. I do think it needs to be repotted also but I'd rather wait till I take off the babies. Sorry so long.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Spider plants are very durable. You can just cut off the plantlet from the mother plant along the "arm" Tuck the bottom tendrils of the plantlet into the new pot. Put as many or as few plantlets into each pot as you wish. I have spider plantlets rooted to my coral rock by my pond.

:^)
Molly

Thanks Molly for the help. I just didn't want to mess up and kill off the babies and mother. I'll have to get started on planting the babies. I think I'll be up to my ears in spider plants soon. This mother plant has so many babies hanging and new ones starting. I may just have to change my name to spiderwoman. lol
That or a cross between that and the wondering jew plants I have started here.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Lol They are hard to kill. I have them growing in my lawn and on the cement were it stays cool in no dirt at all. You will soon be sneaking them onto the neighbors porches with the zucchini!

lol, funny that you say that because my neighbor loves plants and puts out several big containers in the spring. She also has tons of houseplants but no spiders that I know of. She may be getting some soon. I was also going to get 8 of them going for the kids in the class for a mothers day gift. I may even put 5 more together for the class next door. Plus people at work keep asking me if I have any new plants to trade or if they can buy some cuttings from me.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Every year for mother's day we do an art project with several grades making "flower pots" of varying kinds and putting a spider plant in them, They are a ground cover here so babies are readily available.

Sounds fun. Our kids really love plants and taking care of them in the class. This is weird because they are all behavior children who are not motivated by much. Since we brought plants into the class they all want to work hard and do their best so they can help care for the plants. Several of them have asked if we would bring in something for them to plant, take care of, and watch grow. This is great for teaching them ownership type responsibility. If it just helps even a couple of them focus and work hard to do their best then thats ok with us. Plus they love doing art things, so we thought later on we would get some terra cotta containers and let them paint them for mom and then repot the plants. They really like the AV's I've brought in, since they have "hairy" leaves and they find this funny that a plant can be "hairy".

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

They would really like the hairy jew then. I love this plant. Definitely tactile.

Thumbnail by frogsrus

They would so love that frogsrus. They love anything different looking or feeling. I may have to try and find one of those for them to have in class. I take time to teach each ne the correct way to care for our plants in class and they love it. Maybe one day they'll all have their own little gardens.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It will be a month or so before I can take cuttings. this dies back in winter. I almost fainted the first year I had it. Thought it was dead! Let me know if you want some-they do not root especially easily but are quite hardy once they get going.

Can they be a house plant? I live in an apartment and can only do indoor things. Well I could put a conatiner on the front porch like my neighbor does. It gets indirect lighting and is covered.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Yes, in fact they do not like too much light. Mine are in deep shade on the patio.

That would be great frogrus. I would love to get some of that hairy plant. I have a couple of plants that I can send to you or do a postage thing.
I have:
spider plant
wandering jew- looks like the one under inch plant
purple/green leaves
dumb cane
AV's
Phild.
Pothos - Golden & Empr.

I aslo got a lot of seeds off my plant. Anyone ever get good results when plants these? How would you get them started this way? Thanks for any help

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

My green spider throws seeds and I have plants coming up all around it. I have never gotten a striped spider from seed. (I need another spider like I need a hole in the head mind you.) I would just put the seeds on some damp soil and see what happens.

I will send e-mail later about the plants.

Janice

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

frogsrus could i have some of those seed. let me know what you want for them.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Hmmm. I have never tried to save the seed as I have babies up the wazoo. They have just barely started blooming for this year so it would be awhile for seed. I can send you a $3.85 box of babies if you want them. My big ones need to have the babies thinned as some of the spiderlings are starting to dry out with the advent of warm weather.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

ok that will work. just send me a e-mail and i will send you my add. do you want monies frist.

nina

Has anyone heard of a Hawaiian version or the curly version?
I saw pics on e-bay but was wondering if they just maybe regular ones and ppl were just trying to get more $$$ for theirs.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Dunno. This is a plain old striped baby. Would you call it curly? I have never heard of a Hawaiian spider, but it could be.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Here are a bunch of scraggly green babies.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

They grow up like this with wider leaves and a brighter green.

Thumbnail by frogsrus

frogsrus I love the way the leaves are kinda rippled in the 1st photo, gives the plant a lot of personality. The curly one I saw had the leaves actually curl like a hair curl and the babies seemed to hang "hover" over the top of the plant instead of out and down.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Sounds interesting. I have never seen a spider like that.

well I did a search on them and found pics of the curly spider. Didn't find anything on the Hawaiian one. If I can figure out how to post the link to the pics I will.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Just copy the url and paste it onto here.

Ok here are the only two that I could find again with pic's of the "curly" spider plant.
http://www.cybergoodies.com/plants/curlyspider.htm
http://goto.glocalnet.net/natal/amp/ampel.htm
I like the way the leaves just make curls and the babies just hover above the momma plant.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I like it!

I thought they were so cool with the curly leaves. Now all I have to do is find one. If I get my hands on one I'll be sure to send you some babies frogsrus.

frogsrus- I just got one of those curly spider plants, when it gets going with plantlets if you want any you can be first in line. Just let me know. :)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I am waiting breathlessly for those babies. Thanks. The fuzzy is growing now so I will be able to clip it soon.

Well before I left Thursday afternoon for my vacation I can see 4 little ones getting going. So I think it won't be to soon before they get bigger. By the time I get back on the 18th they'll probably be almost ready. Now all I have to do is get a web cam to take pics of it. It is so beautiful with all it's coloring- green (dk. & lt.), yellow, and creme.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Lol! don't clip them too soon. Let the spiderlings show some root. I will wait patiently for the babies to grow. I can't wait to see the pics.

No problem, with waiting on roots. When I go on vacation it seems my plants decide to grow and get huge. It has started to give me a complex about them enjoying me not being around. By the time I get back it will probably have 20 babies and 1/2 will be showing roots. Just to make me nuts, kinda like my daughter. LOL

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

That's what kids are for!! Have a great vacation.

Frogsrus thanks I have been having a wonderful time here. My mom and aunts all have tons of great plants. They said I could take anything I wanted back with me. They are trying to get of stuff they really hate or are tired of which is great for me. I am taking lots of pictures of the great foliage around here. Once I get the pictures put on disc I'll share with all.

New York, NY

Hi, I have spider plants with about 10-15 runners on them and they are 3-4 feet long. However, the plants have only 6 sizeable babies and the rest are buds and they seem to keep flowering everytime I turn around. I have had these plants for a month now and no more babies are growing, what can I do to promote the growth of the babies since I already have the runners. Oh, also, the plants are very potbound. Thank's, please help

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

If you have the runners, they will develop. Patience Mom, the babies will develop at their own rate Lol!

Seriously, Mine are blooming now too. I have to remove a lot of the old babies soon as they are three layers deep on a couple of the plants. I have plenty of green babies in the lawn too. They like to be rootbound. I take mine apart with a machete every couple of years. They are outside year round plants though.

New York, NY

How long does it take a spider plant to start showing from seed. Oh, another question, Can you propagate a spider from the leaf only. I was told many years ago that you can but I can't seem to find any information on that process. :)

Walhalla, SC(Zone 7a)

Hi Guys,
I have the hawaiian spider and the curly spider, they are really neat, i saw earlier that you were wanting to see them, so her are the photos. They are both really really fast growers, i got both of these last year, and they were just tiny babies.

Just love um,
Jaimee

Here is the curly:

Thumbnail by SCShopgirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.