Hellebores

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

These seeds were winter sown. Seeds were harvested in June, placed in damp starter soil and closed in a "to-go" container. They sat in the gh all summer and were moved outside in December. Look at all the babies.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

These seeds were started same time, had warm moist for 6 weeks, put in fridge for 6-8 weeks germination started (sprouts coming up) in October and they were potted up and put under lights inside. They are much farther along, but more trouble.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

This one has been in the yard several years.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

First time this one has bloomed, I think it is 3 years old. (maybe 2)

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

The ones started from seed in the 1st pic....do you have those under grow lights now? I got some Helleborus in the COOP last fall and they were small seedlings like in yr 2nd pic. I potted them and have had them in a South facing window with indirect light. They are now about 5 inches tall. Should I put them under grow lights now? I've been afraid to since I know they like shade.

Also, should I plant them outside this Spring or continue growing them inside another year until next fall?

Any help/suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.
Brenda

I'm wintersowing some seeds I got on Ebay but nothing yet. Maybe I'll let them sit and see what happens. I'll count on getting seeds from a different vendor this summer- fresh seeds. But at least seeing your success as sowing seeds gives me some hope.

skatayama

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

langbr, I'm not sure how cold is "too cold," but here, they are winter hardy. The ones I grew from seeds last year were put in the ground late summer and they are fine. We have pretty mild winters, but have had ice storms several times this winter with temps down to 10 or so, but only for a few days at a time. Mine are where they get winter sun and summer shade. The seedlings in pic 1 will be moved up to larger cell and where there are multi-plants I will separate to make individual plants. They will go under lights and stay inside until weather gets nice enough to go outside. When they get larger, they will go to 4" pots outside until they are large enough to go in the ground. I have a large Oak Tree in my front yard that I am trying to make a Hellebore/Hosta/Fern bed.

Skat, I understand that seeds should not be allowed to dry out before sowing. My seeds were collected from a friend's plant in about June. I definitely will start more this summer. Friday, I went to "Hellebore Days" at Piccadilly Farm in GA. This is one shot of his area where he has MULTI-THOUSANDS growing. Of course, there were plants for sale ranging from $3 ea if you bought a flat of 25 babies, $4 for individual babies and the blooming plants ranged from $7 to $35 each.

Thumbnail by LindaSC
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

lhughes---THANKS! You're info helped a lot. Under the lights they go today. I'll plant them out in early May after frost.

What a photo! Would love to have seen that many hellebores in one spot. Sounds like a good deal on plants too! Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.