Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Hellebores, 1 by LindaSC

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LindaSC

In reply to: Hellebores

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hellebores
LindaSC wrote:
langbr, I'm not sure how cold is "too cold," but here, they are winter hardy. The ones I grew from seeds last year were put in the ground late summer and they are fine. We have pretty mild winters, but have had ice storms several times this winter with temps down to 10 or so, but only for a few days at a time. Mine are where they get winter sun and summer shade. The seedlings in pic 1 will be moved up to larger cell and where there are multi-plants I will separate to make individual plants. They will go under lights and stay inside until weather gets nice enough to go outside. When they get larger, they will go to 4" pots outside until they are large enough to go in the ground. I have a large Oak Tree in my front yard that I am trying to make a Hellebore/Hosta/Fern bed.

Skat, I understand that seeds should not be allowed to dry out before sowing. My seeds were collected from a friend's plant in about June. I definitely will start more this summer. Friday, I went to "Hellebore Days" at Piccadilly Farm in GA. This is one shot of his area where he has MULTI-THOUSANDS growing. Of course, there were plants for sale ranging from $3 ea if you bought a flat of 25 babies, $4 for individual babies and the blooming plants ranged from $7 to $35 each.