pale green buggies

Morton, PA(Zone 6a)

We have a new house - New to us. So we are just discovering things. We have two plum trees. My husband pruned them and they are producing plums. But yesterday we saw a mass of quivering pale green thingies "pests" on the leaves. There were a lot more on an unidentified bush nearby; but some of these thingies are on our beloved plum trees. I cut most of the branches that were infected. Does anyone know what these pests might be? Home Depot only had one bottle of "killer". It said to put in on the ground around the tree "once a year." I didn't buy it because it must be strong if you only use it once a year. Are there any "home remedies" anyone knows of? Help!

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Linda
Are they around the new tips of your trees? aphids?

New Paris, OH

You don't need to be cutting off the limbs to control the insect.

First are they doing damage? If not leave them alone.

There are many home remedies the most simple is a spray of water from the hose to knock them off the plants. Don't make the spray so hard it damages the leaves.

Hand pick the bugs (or smash them) This is about the most effective thing you can do and it won't poison anything (and you can honestly say you hands are lethal weapons)

Soap sprays are good for most softbodied insects but you must spray all of the plant not just the tops of the leaves and the soap must make contact. 1tbl dish soap to a quart of soft water makes the spray.

Look to see if there are beneficial insects (ladybugs, green lacewings) eating the aphids, if they are DO NOTHING. They will take care of your problem.

Finally healthy plants do not get infested so perhaps it is time to put compost down around the trees.

Morton, PA(Zone 6a)

They are on the tips only - aphids, I guess. Thank you Tim. I have noticed ladybugs now so I will hang tight and see what they do. Also will not cut off any more because it didn't seem to do any good (you were right), they are back but on shorter limbs! Thanks so much for your help. A good thing is that these "aphids" are mostly on this unidentified tree so they seem to be concentrating on that one and not bothering my plum trees (or blueberry bushes) as much. So maybe all is well and balanced in the nature world. Did not want to use any chemicals out there. Thanks, again, Ohiorganic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.