Help for outdoor plant moved in

Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

I have a purple wandering jew that I have had indoors all winter. Most of the plant dried up and died, I cleaned out the dead stuff and now it just looks sickly. There is a little new growth so I definetly helped it but I worried if it will survive. Also if it's doesn't shoud I take a clipping for a ziploc greenhouse now? How do I do that with this plant? Near the roots or any old place? TX

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Just about any joint will due to make new starts of this plant. look along the stem and use any handy joint. Either bury the joint in potting soil or just lay it on the soil. they start any old way.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

My monsters kill themselves with their own weight and have to be redone every now and again. Here is one that I need to do some work on. See all the dead undergrowth. The top of the plant presses down and squashes the under leaves.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

The other side of the plant. It is over 3 years old and has about had it. It needs to be completely taken out as there is not much in the way of dirt left in the pot. She has lots of beautiful babies though.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

hpulver,
It's hard to kill that stuff w/ a flame-thrower! LOL
Put the pot in a south facing window and it will come back.
Only due thE south window in Winter though.
Top dress the plant w/ a little potting soil while you have can still get in there.

Ric

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

hpulver,

If that doesnt work give me a holler and I will gladly send you some. I have quite a few plants.
Janice

Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you all so much! It's hard to look at all my other plants which are taking this winter thing so well and then look at the jew... it's pathetic really. And thank you janice for the offer, apparently though according to all of you it will be just fine. I'll start a clipping anyway just in case. I do have one question for Janice, what is to the left of your plant in the first pic you posted? Meredith

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

It is a green wandering jew that has taken on an interesting leaf formation. It was just a plain old leaf and now has this bunched lood. I am taking cuttings to see if it will run true or go back to the original leaf pattern. About 20% of the plant is striped.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.