Cellulose Sponges vs. rockwool vs. foamy type sponges

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I found the same thing, that larger seeds were great, but I wasn't happy with any of the smaller seeds on the sponges.
They germinated well but it was all most impossible to get them in the soil afterwards without destroying them. The roots did not go down into the pores of the sponges the way it had worked with with the larger seeds.

The bio domes look great to me! I would love to be your sister! I know there is a thread somewhere about them and the two people that had used them were both very happy with the results!
I will do a search and see if I can find it for you.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

The dome kits are great but what Parks is selling is a rip off IMHO.You cannot possibly disinfect the insert of bacteria correctly for further usage.

Check out this place for trays , cells or individual domes & flats to make up what you need for the seeds you will be growing.

http://www.novoselenterprises.com/default.asp?page=1492
I might add their service is fast and courteous . I would deal with no other for my potting supplies.

If you wish to use another medium besides seed starter , I love RockWool. No contaminants and is sterile.
The sheet of 1x1x1.5'' size Rockwool Cubes [200 cubes] fits into a standard seedling flat.

This size works for my brug seeds and everything else I have tried.

http://www.bghydro.com/page/BHOS/PROD/GM/GMRWAO25

So clean & easy ... 1 flat , 1 dome , a sheet of RW = DONE . no muss -- no fuss. Especially nice when you do your winter sowing on the kitchen table *grin*

Hope this helps someone.

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I have bought aquarium plants that were potted in rockwool. Is this the same stuff? What is the advantage over seed starter? Does it stay moist without the seedlings damping off?

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Horticultural RW is basically the same. It is a popular hydroponic medium and comes in different forms.

Damping off is caused by fungi and/or bacteria. This is why a sterile medium & environment is so important.
Keep your hands, containers & tools clean.

RW is soaked and then has excess water squeezed out before inserting the seeds.

Cover your container and place in a warm -not cool-bright spot. RW excels as it provides the proper balance of water and air.

This creates a mini-green house and should not need any water added for a long time .
If you see water in the bottom of the container , it is too much.

This is what I found to work best for me.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2005 6:32 PM

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks, I may give it a try.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The knowledge in these threads is terrific. DG...Disney for Gardeners

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.