variegated wisteria

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Never heard of it ,is it real?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2372354444&category=3185

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

That's a really good question. I never heard of it either, but I believe it is possible since variegation is just a chlorophyll deficiency. I guess someone somewhere had a sport, and they propagated it. I would like to see a close-up of the leaves if they would show it. I recognize a few pictures as being borrowed from other sites, but the ebay seller looks reputable.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

crestedchik, I noticed this same auction and contacted the seller. The plant did not appear to be variegated, but the reply I received said "the third picture in the auction shows the variegation, It is green in the center with a lighter green on the edges and veins."

I can't see this varigation in the photo mentioned.

But I did find this photo, of a highly variegated Wisteria, so they do exist!
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~alan/plants/variegates/pg4/6.html

This message was edited Jan 11, 2004 1:47 AM

Gilmer, TX

Would I love to get my hands on one of those.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW,I like the varigation in that picture.
Well,I bid on one,I figure 10 bucks for a pink wisteria is a good deal,even if its not variegated.I'm still trying to train one to a tree form

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm with you CC I really like that to and they have plenty. Think I will tell them to wait on shipping until about March unless we get a good warm week before then.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I can definitely see the variegation in the third picture. Looks like a great deal to me Karyn. Hope it gets to you in great shape and that with your greenhouse, you can really get it going good.

Gilmer, TX

Couldn't resist CC, I bought one too. They also had a couple of other things there that looked good, but I'm trying to be good. I can barely get in the GH now. Think I will ask for a March shipping date too.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

This intrigued me, too, so I did a search, also. I am hesitant to trust the ebay ad, as I do not see any variegation. It may exist, but do not see it.
I read two links that said the variegation fades in hot weather, and that these are best in cooler climates.
I found an AWESOME picture of a REALLY variegated one.
I like that they list a few synonyms. I was able to find a little more information by using the "nishiki".
here is the site:
http://www.wisteria.it/nishiki-e.htm

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'll report about what they look like when they arrive.

Seedpicker, you are right that it is really variegated, but it almost looks a tad sickley, doesn't it?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I got mine but it was broken in half........

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Crestedchik-
Was it just a stick(broken stick, that is...), or did it have any leaves, yet?
-Taylor

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

No leaves ,just a dormant stick.......Nice roots though.....

Gilmer, TX

I got mine too. Nice roots and what looked like some small budddings. (Is that a word?) Looked pretty good to me. I got them potted and will keep in touch to see how everyone's is doing.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Does anyone have any leaves yet? Any chance of making a picture when they come out? I wrote the seller. What I thought was center variegation is sunlight on the leaves. The variegation (which I can't see in the eBay pic) is a thin edge that disappears in summer. Here's what the seller wrote:

"I wish I could give you a better picture but I don't have one except the one on the auction. It's leaves are edged in a silvery cream color and darker in the center with silvery veins. As the summer goes along in the south they will fade to a green. The third pic on the auction has the leaves at the top of it."

Regarding the gnarly appearance of the variegated leaves in Seedpicker's link, that often happens with variegation on tender leaves. The green parts, fed by more chlorophyl, grow larger while the white lags. Sometimes it evens out with time; not always -- can't say what the wisteria would do.

If anyone knows of a source for the Nishiki variegated wisteria, I would like to know about it.

I just got mine a week ago. It took a long time to deliver to me because they were waiting on a photosantitary certificate. I will post a picture when my leafs out.

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi It took me a long time to get into this habit but I strongly recomend it for anyone purchasing seeds or plants on ebay. I always try to remember to check our database for plants it is absolutely a treasure of wonderful information. Especially when the seller says they are unique or unusual, I have found that by looking at our database I can usually figure out if they are being honest.

After contacting a friend in California that lavendar and white variagated are plentiful in her area. I hadn't seen the auction for the pink and white, but I had run across one for seeds for the lavendar and white.
The pictures in our Database are of a lavendar and white one but they are really beautiful pictures.
Hope this helps!
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/55392/index.html

Thanks, aknapp. I do regularly check the database. In fact, that's a picture of my white wisteria. Where does your friend live?

I check nurseries pretty regularly here in Southern California and have never come across a variegated Wisteria before so this sale peaked my interest. I have eight different varieties of Wisterias. I also have Peter Valder's book on Wisterias, and I think he mentioned that it was just a matter of time before one would surface.

People who purchase wisteria seeds should be aware that they can take more than five years to flower when grown from seed and that they do not come true to the parent plant but will be a cross between the parent plant and another wisteria. The variegation trait would not transfer to the seeds.

I forgot to post a picture on my last link. Here's my pink wisteria:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Clara your photo is wonderful. I think I got confused by the variagation you were discussing. Here I have never seen anything but plain pink or plain lavendar flowers, for me the the two color flowers were very unusual. That is what my friend had told me was very common.
I am sorry if I confused the issue.
Thanks for straightening me out! LOL

aknapp, no problem! LOL! I think we're still trying to figure out if this wisteria truly does have variegated leaves. I guess we will know shortly. You are definitely right that people should double check what ebay sellers claim before they purchase:-) As the saying goes, "Buyer beware."

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I understand variegation to refer only to leaves with white or yellow contrasting with green on plants that normally have solid green foliage.

There are many descriptive terms for flowers with more than one color. The wisteria that has blooms with light lavender and darker lavender or light pink and darker pink could be called bi-tone. White and pink or white and lavender might be called bicolor, though I think that is a normal variation. Wisteria with many different hues of lavender and purple with varying amounts of white have naturalized in the South and are available for the digging.

I've never seed wisteria with streaked or broken-color blooms, but that would be a nice development. Clare, as a wisteria lover, do you know if that exists yet?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Clare, I forgot to ask: What are your eight wisterias? I didn't know there were so many!

Hi PlanterRik,

You are quite right about the terms for the different types of coloration. I do not think a streaked or a broken-color-blooming wisteria exists. Surely, if they existed, Peter Valder would have written about them in his book as he is considered one of the world's experts on wisterias, but perhaps it is just a matter of time before an abnormality occurs and is propagated!

Let's see, I have:

Wisteria sinensis, Chinese Blue
Wisteria sinensis, "Cooke's Purple"
Wisteria sinensis, "Texas Purple"
Wisteria sinensis, "Texas White"
Wisteria floribunda, "Honbeni" (pink)
Wisteria floribunda, "Violacea Plena" (double purple)
Wisteria floribunda, "Royal Purple"
Wisteria floribunda, "Black Dragon" (This was purchased as "Black Dragon," but it will probably turn out to be the same as "Violacea Plena.")

I just discovered that I was wrong about variegated wisterias. Peter Valder has a picture of a variegated wisteria in his book. It's called "Nishiki," also known by some other names such as "Variegata," "Albomaculata," "Kawariba," and "Mon Nishiki."

Wisteria floribunda "Hagoromo Nishiki" is a golden-variegated cultivar, also known as "Miho Nishiki." Its foliage is gorgeous.

Here is my Cooke's Purple this year. Sorry the picture is so dark. None of my wisterias flowered well this year, but some of them are too young to flower.

Edited to correct spelling and change cultivar.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2004 2:52 PM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I purchased four of these wisteria thinking they were REALLY variegated. They are healthy and GREEN! No variegation what so ever. I contacted to seller to say that I was shipped the wrong wisteria just in case it was a mix up. What did your variegated wisterias produce? Here is photo of my wisterias I have.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2004 10:05 AM

flowerjunkie, I purchased two of them. I'll be mad if they are not variegated! My two look like sticks at this point and have not put on any new growth or come out of dormancy yet.

Gilmer, TX

I don't see any varigation on mine but they both have lots of foliage. Pam

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Opps...that didn't work...let me try adding the photos here. BTW the seller contacted me and said I should give them time.

Thumbnail by flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Here is another photo of "THE VARIEGATED WISTERIA" won on eBay.

Thumbnail by flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Dave,

Please read my post and clarify if I broke any rules or laws concerning this statement:

BTW the seller contacted me and said I should give them time.

I was cautioned not to mention information relayed to me in emails because I was breaking THE LAW!

Please advise....as I certainly do not want to be in violation of any laws.

Daisy

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine is just a stick...still dormant...it arrived broken...not the fault of the seller,I don't think, but I am gunna raise H*LL if we all got taken........

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Has it gotten any leaves on it. It should already have done something. Mine started sprouting out green leaves immediately after I put them in soil...I mean like the next day. Check to see if its still alive.

Mine are still dormant.

Daisy, whoever told you that is wrong. Remind them of the First Amendment of FREE SPEECH.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Daisy, you have such good green thumbs that it has rubbed off on your leaves & made them healthy!
:~)
Can't wait til you get some blooms on that healthy plant!

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Linda,

Thanks. I won't be keeping them if they are not variegated. You've seen my yard! I have no room for "Plane Jane" stuff! The only Wisteria that has owned a place in my yard is the Evergreen Wisteria "Milettia reticulata".

Let me know when I can take a trip out to see you after Easter.

Daisy

N Collins, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi,

This is Ramona from Pase Greenhouses that sells the Japanese pink wisteria variegated on ebay. I received an email from a concerned customer that the wisteria I am selling is not truly variegated and from some pictures it does not show variegation.
I myself got worried and went to my root source supplier for the wisteria to find out if this was true.
I have received an email from them stating that it is indeed a variegated japanese pink wisteria and will not show variegation in the leaves this year but will for sure next year. I am willing to say if you do not get variegated leaves in 2 years from now that I will give you a credit with my company. I plan to be around for a long time.
I want to have my customers trust me and feel confident when they buy something that it is real. I will always honor whatever I sell with a guarantee.
Also if anyone has problems with their plant when they arrive damaged. Please contact me and we will replace it. I want you to be happy and have a beautiful garden.
I have been in the retail greenhouse business for 18 years, but just recently got into nursery stock last year. I am in the process of learning myself and probably can learn something from this site. I have joined Dave's Garden and I think it will be an enjoyable one.
Please if anyone has any questions you can email me at ramona@pasegreenhouses.com.
Thanks,
Ramona

Thanks, Ramona, for your post. I really appreciate your coming forward and clarifying this issue. You have wonderful feedback on eBay so I am not concerned about your integrity. I look forward to variegated leaves two years from now!

I'm glad that you joined Dave's Garden and look forward to learning from you and hearing about your experiences with plants and vines.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Ramona -- Very stand-up of you to guarantee the variegation and reassure everyone. From my own experience, I was about to warn Daisy that "wait and see" from an eBay seller often means "suspend judgment until the 90-day window for leaving feedback has expired, then you're on your own."

I am glad I searched here before buying your variegated wisteria. There are clearly other wisteria lovers who are eager to have your plant, but I am too impatient (and too old) a gardener to wait for two years to see variegation that greens out during the growing season.

If you find a source for nishiki variegated wisteria, I'll join the cyber line!

N Collins, NY(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the wonderful comments, I am searching as we speak for nishiki wisteria and will let you know if I find it. It must be rare because no luck yet.
Talk to you later, have to go in the greenhouse and get busy, I love spring, it is my favorite season of the year. Here in western ny our winters are brutal and even now it is cold out and when I go in my greenhouses I see beautiful flowers and they smell great.
Great place to mediatate and forget your worries.

Hi, everyone. My two new variegated wisterias have not come out of dormancy yet. This has me a little concerned because all of my other wisterias have all of their leaves. The nodes appear to be dried up as well. I had to wait a little longer than everyone else because I'm in California, and my package needed to have a phyto certificate, but I'm wondering now if perhaps we waited too long and the plants perished. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.