Variegated Galaxy Aralia

Hi all......I bought a small specimin grouping a few weeks ago, and unfortunately, I didn't notice, right away, that they had been planted too deeply in the container they were in. The lower branches were attached to the main stem, below the soil surface. Once I did realize this, I replanted it, in the same container, using more soil to raise it to the right level. After a week, or so, the damage which had been done became apparent, and I had to cut off the lower branches, due to damaged foliage.
The plants are 7" tall, with the lower 2-3" bare. This week, I pinched the new growth, to promote some lower stem activity.
Will these plants end up looking okay, or should I take cuttings and start over? I suppose, I could use these as a learning experience, to see just how salvagable a damaged specimin can be?

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

"Galaxy aralia" is a made-up marketing name. Can you better identify the plant with a botanical name or a good description? Also, what do you mean by "specimen grouping?"

It basically looks like a Dizygothica Eleganta, although it's hard for me to tell, since I've never seen one this small...but it appears to have broader leaves than the Eleganta, and the leaves are variegated, with white edges.
I have a grouping of three small plants in a small container.
BTW, looks like I've been banned from GW, for posting a link to your site! Oh well!!!

Oops....I KNEW I should have looked....I meant Elegantissima!
Also, there are only three fingers, on each leaf.

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

When not referring to something you put into a cup for drug testing, "specimen" usually refers (in the plant world) to a very large and/or unusual plant. "Dish garden" refers to a grouping of small plants potted together to look pretty.

You may have a new variety of dizygotheca that I have not seen. Dizygotheca is commonly called "false aralia" and they do come in small sizes as you described. They drop lower leaves very quickly if anything is out of line, so attend carefully to keeping the soil barely moist at all times. Bright indirect light is best. They do not branch.

As for your being banned for posting my site on Gardenweb... you're not the only one. But thanks for your effort.

Will

Well, I took the plunge yesterday, and hacked all three plants off, at the soil line, stripped most of the lower leaf sets off, and stuck the stems back in the ground, hoping they'd root. Two have keeled over, limp as can be, but the third seems perky, so maybe I'll end up with one good plant??? Time will tell, I guess? I couldn't see any sense in trying to continue growing plants which were less than perfect. It made more sense to turn them into a science project, and see what happens!

Crystal Lake, IL

Talon, if you could put the whole shebang in a plastic bag, that might help.

Putting cuttings in plastic helps the leaves retain moisture until roots form. Otherwise, many plants dehydrate and keel over, without having a chance. It works wonders for hard-to-root cuttings.

One other thing: Once they've rooted, introduce them to fresh air gradually by punching holes in the bag, or opening it up for a while each day, to prevent the shock of going from a very humid environment to a normal one.

Darn...didn't see your post, till today. Hopefully the bag will still save them? I'll let you know. Thanks for the tip....next time, I'll know better!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I just bought these. When I repotted them, I too felt that they had been planted too deeply. I only lost a few lower leaves, though.

Yikes, I just noticed how old this thread is! I found it through Google...

Thumbnail by kbaumle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.