Best greenhouse for the money

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

For those of you in cold climates - even up into Canada - you can make the greenhouse very weather-tight and inexpensive to heat by using dual or triple-wall polycarbonate on the outside, and then lining the inside of the greenhouse with 6-mil greenhouse plastic.

Another "trick" is to start your seeds in a smaller "greenhouse" within the greenhouse. section off a small portion with plastic and put the heater in that. An area large enough for 4-6 flats can get an awful lot of vegetables growing with little heat wasted.

Once they are up and growing, they need less heat than they do for germinating.

The picture is a large greenhouse of the Mittleider design at 54 degrees North latitude in Russia. Anyone care for tomatoes?

Jim Kennard

Thumbnail by JimKennard

wow what varity are they?

Five varieties were grown, and I don't know which one was shown, but I doubt it is Tropic, because that is always larger, in my experience. So it's one of these:

BUFFALO, Jina, Tropic, Shirly, Emerald

Jim Kennard

The greenhouse made from the plans that are posted here on Daves Garden can grow 10,000 plants at a time. Anyone into it that big?

If not, the one pictured, which is only 1/4 as big as the plans, will grow 2,000 plants at a time. That's enough to plant a mighty fine home garden.

Jim Kennard

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Many of you are aware of our member Jim Kennard, who posts threads related to the Mittleider Method of Gardening which he teaches all over the world, mainly in Third World countries enabling those people to feed themselves. He has just lost his wife, and here’s the note:

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:48:54 -0000
Subject: Death in the Family

It is with much sadness that I inform the group that Eleanor Kennard, the beloved wife of Jim Kennard, passed away last night.

Eleanor and Jim have fought a long and courageous battle with Breast Cancer for several years and today she is released from the intense suffering she has been enduring.

Services are slated to be on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2004 at noon.

Thanks,

Joe Kennard
Jims' "little" brother

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

I am very sorry for his loss. I lost my mother from breast cancer and my mother in law to lung cancer. My family and I will keep him and his family in our prayers. I found comfort in knowing that my mother and mother in law are no longer in any kind of pain and they are with our lord in heaven. God bless you all.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Jim doesn't read these forums much because he is so busy. Y'all might want to send him an email of condolences: http://davesgarden.com/members/JimKennard/

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Darius,
Thank you for letting me know about this. I am a newby to this and just wanted to let him know that I am praying for him.

Best,
Cindy

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Due to Jim Kennards recent loss, I don't want to bother him. The link in the "extras" doesn't work for me and I didn't find a link at his website.

I wonder if anyone here would know how I can get a copy of the greenhouse plans he offered last year.

I sure would appreciate it if I could get them. I don't think there is any other way I could afford a green house. Being retired limits my income. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance if you can.

Belle

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Belle,
I don't know if this will help you, but I did a google search for Jim Kinnard Greenhouse and found this site, which gives directions for a greenhouse. Jims photo seems to be in the same GH as posted with his photo above....Hope it helps...

http://www.foodforeveryone.org/faqs/index.php?page=index_v2&id=141&c=root

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello Jim,

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish you peace.

Thanks for sharing the greenhuse plans with us as I am currently building my first greenhouse, a hoophouse, and I can see a bigger, better model in my future.

Again, I wish you well.

Susan

This message was edited Mar 27, 2011 7:43 PM

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Picturelady,

Thank you for your reply. I finally got the plans. Now I have to learn to understand construction. A greenhouse is something I have dreamed of for years.....but then don't most gardeners want a green house?

Thanks again...

Belle

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Belle, I am so glad to hear that they were the plans you were looking for! Please post as you go along and do your construction. I am getting a little hoop house for now, but would like to know for the future how easily/hard this one goes up! I am sure I will be needing more room soon.
Margie

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

It is too late in this year for me to get it going. I am looking forward to next spring or perhaps next summer before construction begins. I have too many irons in the fire for now....(I always do..so what is new)

When the project is going, I will post about it.

I would love a hoop house now....just for little ol me so maybe you can post about how that is going. I haven't built any kind of greenhouse yet....and the big one Jim's plans are for is not entirely for myself...

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

bump!! I keep looking at this so decided other people might want to take a look.

The plans for this greenhouse are on Dave's in the "Extras" section

Judy

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

Bump again, there is a thread for Mittleider Gardening questions in the vegetable gardening forum.

Drew

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Has anyone built this??

My hoop house has three walls and wasn't completed before a windstorm blew it over like a kite. The plastic was all torn up and my husband jsut threw in the towel and said we needed to "move up" before we even finished this one. I will need to have a greenhouse this winter and am certainly considering building this one.

Anyone else do this lately?

Susan McCoy

This message was edited May 30, 2005 9:39 PM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jim, I just printed the plans and will review them and I was wondering if these are available in spanish? I know some great framers and they could be hired to make this for me, but they only speak spanish. I was thinking that maybe since these plans have travelled the world there might be such a thing? Thanks

Susan McCoy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Susan,

Jim doesn't visit DG now so I suppose you will have to contact some other way or perhaps someone in the Computer Forum could tell you about a free translation program.

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Food for thought

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Still can't find the plans ...

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Click on your "Home" Tab
Click on "Extras" Tab
Scroll 3/4 of the way down the page
Click on the Greenhouse Plans Link

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks ... uh ... "Daddy" :o)

On the Olympic Penin, WA(Zone 9a)

I tried to download the plans but my printer is not working.Can someone be so kind and send me a copy? I will pay postage and whatever it cost to print it out, just let me know how much. Thank you very much.

Richard

This message was edited Sep 16, 2005 12:21 AM

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Great Information.... but I believe the plans have been removed from DG

Judy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I know I looked for them awhile back and can't remember if I found them or not. I did find this on the web. http://www.foodforeveryone.org/about/9/about-us There is a place on the top right to join and get the free plans.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Did anyone keep a copy of the plans that they can email me???

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is the link to his website http://www.foodforeveryone.org/

Judy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Judy! Guess what? I did keep a copy of the Mittleider seed house instructions! I just found the print outs in a folder. :)

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I belong to Jim's Mittleiders gardening form. I just emailed him and asked him to send me the plans. If and when I get them if you want them let me know.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I would be interested in seeing these plans if someone would email them to me. Let me know and I will send my personal email addy.

Thanks,
Donna

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Badseed, I joined and requested a copy of the plans.

If for some reason I don't get them, I'll trade you something if you will get a copy made for me. I'll get back with you.

Judy

Baton Rouge, LA(Zone 8b)

I too am interested in these plans. I'll will also try to join and get a copy. If successful, I'll be happy to share.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I would love a copy of the plans too, I'll look at the site later.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

I am really enjoying the MittleiderMethodGardening list. Not too much traffic but thats a good thing in my book and I'm learning something new all the time.
carol

Baton Rouge, LA(Zone 8b)

I signed up, didn't receive the greenhouse plans but did receive about 10 e-mails today. I unsubscribed. I'm not growing veggies.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I have the plans on PDF I can email it to you but I do not know how to post it here.

Hollidaysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

SB, could you email the plans to me. I don't want to get into a lot of junk mail over this and it sounds like that's what the deal is with joining the group at the posted link. Thanks. Jaime

JLent@Atlanticbb.net

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

done

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey scooter, could you please send them to me also? I'll send you a dmail.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.