Foxtail Fern

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hello, just wondering if any of you have foxtail ferns. I just saw one and think they are great looking. Any ideas on where to purchase one? Having trouble finding retailers that sell them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

i grow about 500 a year.
pretty lil plant.

Drew

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

DeepRoots, how about posting a picture of one of these ferns. I am interested in planting some ferns in my new shade garden. I would love to see one of these.
I just realized this would be a house plant but i could put the pot in the garden anyway during the summer months. Thanks, Robbie

This message was edited Dec 4, 2003 10:44 AM

Robbie, foxtail ferns would be hardy in your locale.
It is an Asparagus, like the more common cv 'Sprengeri.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Drew I got a question for ya. I have an asparagus 'Sprengeri' in shade in the back yard that is still full and green. The two that I have in pots on the edge of my porch on the front (south facing) side of the house have been happy and green all summer, but just this past week the part that is in the sun has turned pale yellow. The parts that hang down the back side of the planters are still green. I would think frost damage or sun scold, but why not the plant out back and if it's sun, why now???

shade is often frost protection...
frost itself doesn't always hurt an Asparagus.
But much like cloud cover on a cold night can keep a frost away, so can a pine tree... or 10mph winds...
or the ones on the southside may have had some fert in them that the shady one did not.

course I think it was the shade/leaf cover.

My place frosts easily for the area, mostly on account of how open it is... well and the 1acre pond might have something to do with it :-)

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

If i planted an aspargus fern in my shade garden, would it come back up in the spring? This shade garden is on the north side of my house and near water. I dont know if the wind is a problem in this area as i am not usually outside when it is so windy. I will have to check that out to see what happens. I have a boston fern in the house that i plan to put out there in the pot in the spring hanging from a tree branch. Thanks, Robbie

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks drew. I don't actually mind the yellowed part. Those plants look two toned now. lol :)

sounds like it'd be fine robbie...
maybe just a lil protection on one of those 17 degree nights or some such thing.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

The foxtails are the cigar shaped plant coming up from the clump. Sorry I didnt have a better close up. Spur of the moment contribution.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

that's a good picture of them molly, I only have l in a pot, but am going to put it outside in the ground in the spring time and just dig it up again in the fall.

kathy_ann

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Molly, how do you keep yours from going hog wild? They turned into monsters in short order.I can't get rid of the durned things were I do not want them. Keep coming up form leftover roots I guess.

I wanted to make an herb garden in that space so I moved them to the flower bed across the sidewalk. They don't get enough sun and they don't get enough water. So they don't go hogwild. They weren't planted in the first space long enough to spread underground. I moved the yellow mound with them and they seem to be the stronger of the two plants.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Molly, excuse the interruption, but what is in the pots along the fence? Are they vines? I plan to plant vines along my fence in pots and these look so nice. I always love the pictures of your yard.
Pati

HI Patricia, always nice to hear from you and thanks for the compliment. Those pots have Alamanda bushes and Purple Ruellia (Mexican Petunia)in them. There are tree roots down below and concrete foundations for the fence posts. (I can't dig a hole there) Soon, I will have dh make me a raised bed with wooden walls.Then I can get rid of the pots.

Molly

Celeste, Sorry for the distractions, we didnt answer your question about where you can get some. I'm sending you email

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I can send you seeds for SASE if you are interested, though I don't know if they come true from seed. BTW, around here we call this plant Myer's asparagus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.