Plan on Growing a Productive Home Garden Next Year

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

“Live on What You Produce”
While you endure these cold winter months why not plan for a really great garden next spring. Maybe even one that could provide some income in addition to the food you eat yourselves! Does anyone have children who need responsibility - and spending money?

To illustrate the potential, I'll describe the yields achievable by growing one crop in a quarter-acre garden. I realize that most of you may only want or be able to grow a garden of 10 or 20% this size, with multiple crops, however let’s tickle your imaginations! I’m aware of many gardeners who are growing commercially – some with fraction-acre gardens.

Consider this: Just a quarter-acre of tomatoes grown vertically, and selling for only $.50 per pound, would yield $25,000 per year! Have I got your attention? Let’s see how it’s done.

A quarter-acre, or 10,390 square feet, will accommodate 78 30-foot rows of plants, grown in 4' X 30' Grow-Boxes, with 3 1/2' side aisles, and 5' end aisles. Planting 9" apart gives you 41 plants per bed or 3,198 total.

By growing a tomato that averages 8 ounces (some varieties are even bigger), and growing vertically, each plant should produce 16# of fruit from July through October. How? Good varieties produce a cluster of 3-7 tomatoes every 5-7" up a 7' stem in 4 months of production. Using 4 per cluster and 12 clusters gives 48 tomatoes, and at 8 ounces each, your yield would be 24# per plant. Let’s reduce that by one third, to be conservative.

This amounts to 51,168 pounds of tomatoes (16# X 41 X 78) - or $25,584 at $.50 per pound. Who said you couldn't live out of your garden! And similar results can be achieved growing right in the soil.

Now there certainly are costs, including labor, as there are in any serious endeavor. Start-up costs include 1) making and filling the boxes, 2) making T-Frames, 3) wires or pipes, and baling-twine strings, and 4) automating the watering. However these are one-time capital expenditures and will be more than recovered in the first year.

Next, suppose you'd like to increase your yield even more. After all, commercial hydroponic growers can produce 550,000 pounds of “plastic,” tasteless tomatoes per year on one acre. Of course, they have large investments in year-round greenhouses, automated systems, etc. By simply putting an arched PVC roof over each of your Grow-Boxes, as illustrated, covering them with 6-mil greenhouse plastic, and then adding just a little heat on cold nights, you can lengthen your growing season by another two months, or 50%!

Now you're looking at 75,000# of tomatoes per quarter-acre, or more than half the yield of the expensive hydroponic growers! But you're growing "in the dirt", because your boxes are open at the bottom, so your plants get all the natural nutrients available from the soil (producing better flavor). And you only use the plastic covering for two or three months, so your plants benefit from direct sunlight as well, further improving their flavor.

Do you think these numbers are hard to believe? Just visit a greenhouse tomato operation and see tomato plants that are 20' and 30' long - still producing after more than a year!

Now let’s see what your family can do. And let me help guide you through the process.

Jim Kennard, President, jim@growfood.com
Food For Everyone Foundation
“Teaching the world to grow food one family at a time.”
www.foodforeveryone.org

Thumbnail by JimKennard
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I've always been amazed at how much food my garden produces, but nothing anywhere close to what you mention. We eat something from the garden every day, some of it fresh, some stored like potatoes and winter squash, some frozen and some canned. Of course some is given away too, that is half the fun. People just can't believe how good fresh produce can taste.

Good for you Mary.

If more people would do this we would all be better off.

Jim

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! That's serious gardening! Great project and thanks for the tips.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Jim,

Would you please tell us more about the Grow-Boxes? How are these constructed? Would it be expensive?

Thank you!

John

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Another thing that amazes me is the cash value of what I have grown and stored. For instance, I have about 20 butternut squash in storage and the last time I checked at the supermarket they were worth 79 cents a pound. Onions are selling for 89 cents a pound and I have those too, etc. Every time we eat some of our home grown food we save money, to say nothing of the convenience of having it right here when we want it.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Mary I grow it to look at and eat fresh nothing like an ear of corn that has an elapsed time of five minutes from garden to tum tum.Ernie

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

oh, now you are making me hungry! Corn season is way too short but I am working on a way to get them started earlier.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Mary corn is really pretty tough it can be green house started and transplanted with a very high survival rate.

A market garden friend planted in plastic berry flats in little rows about three inches apart then dug them out with a small spatula and covered with remay. I am way to lazy for that. He also told me you could plant it thick like onions and shake them out but he felt he could plant faster the other way.

Since you mentioned Butternut I think I will try Carnival for dinner. Ernie

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good idea, Ernie, I think that is easier than what I was thinking of doing. I grow Early Sunglow and plant 3 times, first about June 1, then again about June 15 and again about July 1. It isn't as sweet as some of the newer varieties but does well here.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I started Silver Queen corn one year early, in seed-starting flats (when I lived in Baltimore, MD). I transplanted them early in the season, into a friend's garden, in hills of four. We actually harvested some of that corn on the Fourth of July and it was yummy!

Not sure what zone that is, but NO ONE there had corn until late August as a rule.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

It sounds about the same. My first planting is about knee high by the 4th of July. I need to keep better records of planting and harvest so I can't tell you when we start eating home grown corn. Next year I would like to set out 2 or 3 inch high plants about when I usually plant the first seeds. Now that I have a greenhouse that is possible! I think I will save milk jugs, fill them with water and put them next to the corn, then cover them with remay to make a nice tent over my baby corn plants. My usual method of planting is to make an oval and plant 6 seeds around the edges about 6 inches apart. When they are about 4-6 inches high I hoe the soil up around them, this leaves a hollow center in the circle that gets filled with horse manure. The milk jugs can go in the center of each group and will only need to be there for a week or two. After I add the manure the plants get fed every time they get watered. The group planting also helps them stand up to our strong winds. Single plants in rows get flattened.

what's remay?

I always heard corn should be knee-high by the Fourth of July. That's why everyone was surprised at EATING fresh corn on the Fourth.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Remay is floating row cover. It weighs almost nothing, so it dowen't squash your plants, comes in 3 or 4 foot widths, lets the sun and rain in but keeps the cold out, well a few degrees anyhow, and the heat of a sunny day doesn't build up under it. Try an internet search to find it, some garden catalogs have it. I think I got mine from Parks.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

MaryE, I like your idea of planting corn in a circle or oval. I will try that next spring. I get a lot of wind here too. thanks for the idea. Donna

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

MaryE took care of the remay while I was spell checking so I erased and will do the corn thing.

May 10 or by may 10 I plant both precicous [early variety] and Golden jubalee [late variety] Both are knee high to waist high by the fourth of July. First ripens Aug first part of and the second ripens Sept to october because I plant it about four times as thick as all known directions advise. But when I do that my garden gets a tremendous load of manure in the fall and sometimes the spring and I use nitrogen at planting and about the third week in June.

I think this year I will plant in hills because I bought an antique corn planter and I want to use it.

Yes I think July forth is really early especially early for a corn like silver queen you wont find that around here .

Remay cost eighteen bucks for a 12 foot by 50 foot pc but will last several years if taken care of better than I do. Territorialseed.com Ernie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

MaryE I combat the wind by topping my corn when silks are easy to see. Ernie

Thanks, Mary and Ernie. Good info!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey Jim!!!

How do we build those Grow-Boxes!!!

Thanks,

John

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I leave the tassles on the corn plants, the honey bees have so much fun with them that I don't want to take them off, same with radishes that get old and blossom, bees love them too. Every year a lot of honey bee hives are brought to my neighbors place about a half mile from us and I want to encourage the bees to keep comming here (we get some of the honey, yummmmmy!) Usually by the time the tassles form the corn is pretty well rooted so it doesn't flatten out in the wind. My wind breaks are pretty effective now so they take the worst of the wind. I have learned a lot about windbreaks in the years that we have lived here. Ernie, do you use anything to shelter your garden from the wind?

For those who would like to build Grow-Boxes, go to www.foodforeveryone.org. Go to the Gardening Techniques section, then follow the links to Grow-Boxes, Preparing, and Constructing Grow-Boxes. Everything you need is there.

Success to you all - it is a fun and highly productive way to garden.

Jim Kennard

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

MaryE about 20 years ago I p;anted a single row of Cedar deodorus trees on the south side with that in mind and the survivors are really pretty today but due to the gaps that in my youth I was to lazy to replant the thing just helps some. My quail love it under those low sweeping branches and the little birds frequent there as well.

Plants that are wind and cold sensitive I just give a little plastic house to for a couple weeks.Punkins and squash mostly the toms,cukes,and peppers are in a hoop house or my GH so no need to worry about the rest.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

I know this is a stupid question Jim but if I grew
$25,000 worth of tomatoes for sale - where do I find
a market to buy them..?

Growing them is just part of the equation. Selling them
myself is out of the question as I work full time.

You are right. Selling is a different business than growing.

Remember, though, you would not have them all at once. You would have 4 or 5 months, with tomatoes being picked 3 or 4 times per week, and hopefully sold to a wholesaler, or in a roadside or market stand, or ?

Jim

Many of you are aware of our member Jim Kennard, who posts threads related to the Mittleider Method of Gardening which he teaches all over the world, mainly in Third World countries enabling those people to feed themselves. He has just lost his wife, and here’s the note:

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:48:54 -0000
Subject: Death in the Family

It is with much sadness that I inform the group that Eleanor Kennard, the beloved wife of Jim Kennard, passed away last night.

Eleanor and Jim have fought a long and courageous battle with Breast Cancer for several years and today she is released from the intense suffering she has been enduring.

Services are slated to be on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2004 at noon.

Thanks,

Joe Kennard
Jims' "little" brother

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.