Greenhouse Overflow

Northern California, CA

My 10 x 12 greenhouse was plenty big 18 months ago.....what do you suppose happened?

a)plants grew bigger
b)bought more plants
c)plants donated by friends
d)went to lots of great plant sales
e)all of the above

Here's a few shots of my sunroom, aka GH II. It's very messy gardening in there, but I think I can deal with it. :-)

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Northern California, CA

And another corner

Northern California, CA

And another corner....the fourth 1/4 of the room has yet to succumb to plant fever.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Isnt that funny!
looks like my house everywhere you turn! If theres a window-its FULL of plants! Cant tell what the weathers like outside-cuz you cant see out the windows! LOL

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

What a wonderful looking room Happenstance, sure doesn't look messy to me.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

it's just beautiful, every corner! wish I had overflow like this.

Northern California, CA

The sunroom was originally just a 16' x 10' balcony off the 2nd floor master bedroom with large pillars holding it up. We had a slab poured and then enclosed the area with sliders and three 6' x 6' skypanes on the extension beyond the balcony. (So the finished room is about 16' x 16')

It has worked really well and is a great place to be in the winter when it pours and pours. Like being in the garden without getting wet.

The "messy" part is me with the hose and dropping leaves and debris.....and cats that think it's a dream come true. The three of them consider it their own private jungle and spend hours exploring.

Here's a shot through the French doors from the family room.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2003 3:08 PM

Northern California, CA

And a shot from outside, it is now beginning to blend in as the garden grows up. It used to stick out like a sore thumb, but the plants now soften the look a lot.

An inexpensive addition because it isn't heated and thus is not considered "living space." 7 sets of sliding doors, 3 skypanes, a concrete slab, tile for the floor, and a very handy DH who puts up with my "what would you think about.....?" ideas.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

What a GORGEOUS room! I'm more than a little envious...

8^O

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

WOW! I love it. You have flair

Northern California, CA

Thanks you guys....we do love it and use it a lot.

So if you haven't seen enough of it, here's a side view from the patio off the kitchen.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Happenstance...love your GH!! First bad case of zone
envy I've had here...the unheated part is the killer.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I love it too!!!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

That's just beautiful. I was noticing not only the plants but the containers and other interesting things in the room. What a nice place to sit and read or watch the cats play hide and seek. You've made great use of the space you have and I'm sure it will inspire more than one person here. Hmmm, I have a porch we don't use much........

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Happenstance, what a wonderful room. So glad you have ahandy helper, Your plants look so healthy and happy. Donna

MERCER, PA(Zone 5a)

Happenstance......it just doesn't get any better! How very beautiful.

Northern California, CA

Hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing weekend, cool and cloudy with some rain here since Friday. Made some headway on decorating for Christmas and spent some time in the sunroom. The Christmas Cacti are loving the bright cool light out there, as are the begonias.

The GH is staying at a temperate 50F with the help of a small space heater.....only time will tell what the utility company has in store for me. Hard to spend much time in the GH as there is just a small walkway and the rest is Brug cuttings taking up the center walkway. They are all still alive and growing. :-)

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

that is absolutely beautiful....very very nice....looks like something out of a magazine......dont know what else to say except that it is beautiful, oh sorry, i already said that..lol....very nice!!!

cindy

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Happenstance...where did you purchase the mini outdoor chairs in the second photo???? gorgeous, happy greenhouse!! Elaine

Northern California, CA

Morning Elaine -

The three on the left came from a catalog last year, don't remember which one. The three on the right were purchased at a local nursery that switches over to a massive holiday ornament, tree retailer this time of year. They had a huge display tree decorated with all kinds of gardeny stuff like clay pots, chairs, trowels. It was super cute!

I collect mini chairs, benches, tables like this and they usually are outside in the shaded patio, but this time of year I bring them in out of the rain and they all ended up piled on this table top in the sunroom.

They're super cute. But I adore your cushion fabric.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Good workmanship on the cushion upholstery..Note the pattern is unbroken between the two. Nice =)

Did you cover them yourself? where did you get the fabric?

§

This message was edited Dec 1, 2003 7:12 PM

Northern California, CA

Thanks Liz and Shirley.

Nope I didn't do them myself. Thought they were a little "bright and busy" when I purchased the furniture about 4 years ago, but it has grown on me and wears like iron. Full California sun a good part of the year on a daily basis and no fading or deterioration of the fabric.

It is a standard Suncloth fabric available from Brown Jordan. This set is their Eastlake line and the fabric is "South Pacific" #755.

All right! ~ I love someone with manufacturer and style #!!
It really does make the room.
Lovely

Hi..Liz........Hapenstance, I had an opportunity to purchase 4 people-sized chairs like that and I blew it!....theat's why I asked about them! Here we are on the greenhouse forum talking decor....what fun!!!!!! Elaine

Northern California, CA

Morning Elaine -

Oh, but I do consider the garden exterior "decor" for sure. It is the set of rooms with the sky for a ceiling. The shrubs are the walls, and the plants are the furniture and chatchkes. I'm always rearranging the furniture in my house, maybe that's why I move plants all the time too. :-)

My garden is the garland that surrounds my house and hopefully gives it that holiday feeling throughout the year.

Were the chairs you passed on vintage? They really are wonderful, here is a source for repro chairs:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/prdSell_1.asp?ProdGroupID=18137&DeptID=24695&CatID=24696&sourceid=sinceptor&flgCookiesEnabled=TRUE

And a great article on vintage lawn chairs (this is page 2, be sure to check page 1 also):
http://magazines.ivillage.com/countryliving/collect/icons/articles/0,,284645_293987-2,00.html

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, since we are kinda off topic...:) I have been on this new kick/(addiction?) of mine. I've just started scouring a few salvage yards, and older junk type stores in downtown Seattle for old garden furniture. I found a cool tiered plant stand so far. Happenstance I am going to shoot myself, because I found those chairs (a little rusty) and I believe they were priced at about $20 a piece. I considered them for a millisecond before my eyes darted to something else. I wonder if they are still there..............sigh!!!

I guess I would not know if they are vintage tho......

Northern California, CA

Sue -

I love salvage yards.....some of the racks I use in my greenhouse are from salvage yards and they work really well for my succulents. Just recently picked one up, never thought to take a picture of it and now that the greenhouse is filled to the brim you can't even see it.

Bird cages are another thing I look for in junk yards...some are a challenge to get home (see the image below: must have been quite a sight on the freeway with my Cherokee loaded with this thing on top. I just went 70 and hoped it didn't fly off.) And another bird cage shown two posts down.

Another place for great garden objects is the San Francisco Flower & Garden show. Dealers from all over come with the greatest stuff to use as found objects. The prices are higher than salvage yards, but great stuff with terrific display ideas. Last year I got a wall hung public water sink used in the hallways of an old housing project in the former Soviet Union.(see next post)

I wouldn't care if the chairs were vintage or not.....you better go back and see if they still need to be adopted!

Northern California, CA

Here's the sink

Northern California, CA

And another birdcage

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

OH Happenstance, your have such great things. i love the birdcages, and if your sink turns up missing I wouldn't know anything about it!!!!!!!!!!!Donna

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Your birdhouses are great! If I saw them, I'm not sure any price would be too high!!

Here is one I got off of eBay a while back. Please do not look at my dirty floor. :o) It is about 3 1/2 feet high. Need to find a place for it still.

(And I am putting some bungie cords and rope in my SUV - cuz you never know what your gonna find!)

Thumbnail by Sue_WA
Northern California, CA

That's a beauty Sue, I can just see it with a pretty upright fern peeking out of the bars.

I visited Alden Lane Nursery here in the Bay Area in July and got some great ideas for salvaged windows & doors in the garden. Here are a couple of their ideas.

Northern California, CA

And a salvaged door

Jonesboro, AR(Zone 7a)

Absolutely gorgeous! Your own little piece of paradise! I believe I would live in your GH 24/7.....as long as I could find a place for my coffee pot and computer!!!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't know how I got here Happenstance..but I sure am enjoying it..
I am so impressed by your decorating talent..I could look at photos of your home and garden forever!
Keep your photos coming..it is a dreary cold day here in Newcastle Ontario Canada.
Cheers,
Carol

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Carol you have to check out her kitchen pics from a hyperlink on the other thread in 'greenhouses' about the little conservatory model. :)

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Ok ..Thanks Ecobioangie.. :)

I found them, I found them......the little metal chairs..bought a hot pink one and a yellowy-chartreuse one,....$12 something US dollars apiece...on a site called ??? oh darn, mental-pause! I'll get back to you on this! Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.