anyone know what these seeds are for?

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

My MIL has a habit of grabbing seeds off something she likes but has NO idea what the name is. It's awfully sweet that she's getting seeds for me, but... I'd kinda like to know what they're gonna grow up to be (and when to plant them, etc.)

Any ideas here?

Thumbnail by Cajun2
Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

Could they be Clematis?

Ahhh could well be Clematis ~ one of my MIL's favorites.
And now I recall seeing some here... YES! That's it!
I'll be sure and mark them now.

Thank you sooo much!!
~ Carole

Good luck w/them, Carole - I've found the paper towel way is the best for getting them to sprout!! :)

Oh thank you! How did you know I would be looking that up?!
Actually wanted to plant in situ ~ hmmmm Will that not work?

Oh, golly, I'd for sure give it a try!! ANYTHING might work - haha!! I'm probably not the person to talk to about this any-hoo, cuz I've never successfully grown clematis from seed (hanging my head in shame!!). I DID sprout them, but I'm terrible with seedlings. I keep trying but most do better if I throw them in the gardens and wish them luck!! :)

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Some clematis take up to three years to germinate, so don't be too hasty to throw away seed trays.
With clematis seeds I tend to put them in a tray with gravel on top, and leave them out in a cold frame over one maybe two or even three winters,patience is the name with some of these.

Oh my GOSH Sue - I had no idea!! I'll be less hasty to think the seeds are "bad" next time!! :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Good move, Sueone. Most clematis need cold stratification, so letting mother nature do it is a wise idea. Check out Tom Clothier's site for some germination info on the different species:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page02.html

I leave all my seed trays for at least 2/3 years, (excepting annuals)I've often had things show much later than I thought.
Some plants put down a root fist, so you don't see anything up top.It was purely because I use a lot of see-through pots(dessert pots etc)for sowing my seeds in that I realised this.I could see this root forming, but nothing above ground, so I left it, and sure enough ,next spring ,up it came.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

We ought to have a seminar on germination patience, don't you think!

North Tonawanda, NY(Zone 3a)

Found this link and it sounds like patience is the order of the day, sigh. No wonder they usually propagate by cuttings, lol.
http://theseedsite.co.uk/db6.html

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The only one I have successfully grown from seed was Clematis tangutica, or Golden Clematis. I froze the seed over the winter and started it indoors in the spring. I gave one of the seedlings to a friend who is growing it in her rock garden. It has yellow flowers and puts out lots of those fuzzy little seed heads. I have it in my trade list.

I have that site on my favourites, have used it quite a bit when looking for the seeds and poda, comes in handy.
Sometimes, with the smaller seeds you have a job to tell which is seed, and which is dust!(or maybe thats just my eyesight!!...)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.