Is all bamboo slow growing?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I planted this boo this spring. It has gotten a little taller and a little bushier, but not much. Is all bamboo this slow?

Thumbnail by rylaff
Montebello, CA(Zone 10a)

Give it a chance. What type is it?
Here is a general rule.
The first year it sleeps
the second year it creeps
the third year it LEAPS!
Gouda Luck

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thats funny. I have to remember that. I have no idea what it is. It is supposed to clump, but I am not certain on that. How do I tell the difference?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

If it's slow growing, it is more likely a clumper. They will still pick up speed, but i couldn't possibly tell you what it is based on a few leaves. Some genera, such as Chusquea, never grow fast (except a few species), at least here in So Cal. Others pick up after they get a decent root base. Most likely you were sold a clumper since you CAN grow clumpers. Runners are dangerous to plant withour rhizome barriers, especially in a wet climate like yours. Wait a year or so, and if nothing shoots up several feet away, you have a clumper. I had black bamboo in the ground a year and it seemed to be doing nothing. But then I learned what clumpers and runners were, so I dug it up and discovered it had running roots over 10' long already... glad I dug it up when I did or I would never have gotten rid of it that easily.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Palmbob!

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Mine is as slow as yours,I have had it 3 yrs.maybe next year it will leap!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.