Iris at Walmart & Kmart

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Do you have Walmart/Kmarts around? At this time of year, they offer named iris roots at great prices: 2 for $2.50 The roots are nice & solid & dry in net bags. I bought all the colors they had last year & saw the same ones go on ebay for $4 -$8 each. Some sellers even scanned the Walmart package photo as they sold them!

Our Walmart is offering Superstition (black), Immortality (white), Mother Earth(Whitestandards/lavender Falls), Hidden World (pink) and Edith Wolford and lots more!

All the ones I planted last fall bloomed beautifully in the spring & are HUGE for next year. I just bought 6 more colors I didn't have. Check them out!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

The only bad thing about x-mart plants is that a large percentage of time the plant that you get is NOT the plant that is pictured on the package. This goes for iris as well as daylilies.

A couple of years ago I bought six or seven of these Walmart iris and the only one that was correctly marked was Edith Wolford.

Each of my irises matched the name but not neccessarily the colored photo on the package. Many of the photo colors are printed way to brightly. When I surfed iris websites, the colors that bloomed matched the names posted.

I have found this color difference even in irises & daylilies I have bought from nurseries. It's like the person choosing the photos is choosing for color "punch" instead of accuracy. I think of the daylily "Trayalta" and all the color variations I've seen posted on it....

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

OH GOOD! I BOUGHT SOME OF THE SAME ONES YOU DID WANDASFLOWERS! I am glad to know they bloom nicely :) I really wanted the yellow n white one tho?? I have mine all planted and can't wait to see what blooms next yr.:)

I thought the roots looked especially nice this year and solid. Mine all had babies on them. The colors on the packages lokked a bit closer--not quite so electric. They were so cheap last year that I bought a bunch for my favorite sis in law (cheap brother.) My Mom lives with them & loves to walk thru the gardens & take photos. Do you suppose that's where I got the picture habit "gene"??? LOL
Here are Walmart "Ambour Tambour"--one that did turn out exactly the color of the package!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for this tip. I got Edith Wolford yesterday and hope to go back for the other colors. This looks like it's going to be a lovely flower!

The Edith Wolfords I put in last fall were HUGE & bloomed like crazy this spring! For some reason, the puppy never ran by to break them off!

I bought some of the 2 tone ones this year. I planted them just days ago, and they already have blades 6 inches tall.
Next spring is going to be PRETTY>>>>

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, you talked me into it! Yours' are so lovely! I'm following your lead!
I went to Wallyworld & bought Radiant Apogee, Superstition, & rebloomer Champagne Elegance. Just starting w/six.
And then......, I saw that notmartha had some leftovers. So,....I'm taking about 40 off her hands.
Since I don't have my own house yet, I have most all my plants in containers. What size should I put these in? Would one to a gallon be too small an area for them?

Scotts Mills, OR(Zone 8a)

that settles it! i'm off to Walmart to get more iris - thank you for the info- and thank you again for the cleome and zebrina seeds, Wandasflowers.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

sewmom,
be sure & ck notmartha's thread for leftovers. The thread is 'iris left as of 9/3' under the Co-Op Forum!
Click on her hyperlink just to drool even if you don't get any of those beauties!! :~)

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Went to Walmart yesterday and got a few and the lady told me Im not chargingyou for those-were throwing them away

Hey, if you can feel any firmness in the bulbs, go for it! The "Immortality" white I bought last year was lovely last spring plus just re-bloomed this again!!! Whooppee--Iris in October! I just went to pick up tulips, daffodils and more Asian lilies to plant between my daylilies & irises for early color. Can't beat the prices!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I got 2 pkg. of 2 rhizomes each of Raspberry Blush at our WalMart today. I was spending Jack's money or I might have gotten more.

I bought those last year & loved them so much I bought some more this year! The color was true to the package--a rich deep pink with pretty markings. Looks like they're multiplying well too!

Shepherd, MT

I have never gotten a true to name iris from Walmart or Kmart, my Edith Wolford looks more like Joyce Terry (yellow) my colortart was two tone blue & Batic was something like Immortality all white,

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Marclay,

"Went to Walmart yesterday and got a few and the lady told me Im not chargingyou for those-were throwing them away."

And then you woke up, right? ;-)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm off to the "Marts" first thing tomorrow morning! Thanks for the tip Wanda - we'll see if they bring them to Phoenix same time as rest of the country!

Phoenix, AZ

mrsj - I'm right behind you. I'll check out the one near Bell and Tatum and let you know what I find : )
sam

Phoenix, AZ

Alas, no iris bulbs in Phoenix. At least not at my store : (

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

No she didnt charge for them and they were about 15 packages

Are the rhizomes nice and firm?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'll be hitting my W and K Marts tomorrow!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Just noticed this thread was started in 2003. Hope they still have some!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

ROFLMAO!!!!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

They are probably still trying to flog their mislabeled, shriveled up moldy rhizomes from 2003!! I am not a fan of the big box stores. Patti

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You're right bbrook. It won't hurt to look and see anyway. I bought some shriveled up ones from a Farm Supply store near me...they're slow in growing and I've lost a couple. They haven't bloomed yet so I don't know if they're accurate but hope so as I have an iris business...guess I should right the questionable ones down and keep track, well there's only 2 but I better get to writing them down!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

In some areas of the garden, I am not compelled to have named varieties, so, that being said, there were actually some fat, heavy, healthy looking young things the other day - so I bought 3 bags of each Supreme Sultan and Dover Beach. If they thrive and bloom and are not Desert Tan or Sage Green, well I will be pleased as punch next year :-) The ones they had last spring looked like the year before's leftovers all dried up...

My Dover Beach was from Walmart 4 years ago.

My Sultan's Palace were Walmart too.

I planted Batik 3 times before it finally lived & bloomed!

Ooooh, can't wait, can't wait! I learned from the Dog vs. Day Lily Debacle - irises are planted in a raised bed surrounded by wood planks (actually, pulled out spent/dead peppers and put them in the veggie garden for now, for lack of safe, Dog-proof location - guess that's what happens when you impulse buy!).

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I hate to put a damper on everything but I must warn you all. 90% of the Iris bought package like at Wal-mart, K-mart home depot, lowes etc are not usually the named variety. Wholesalers buy what ever they can get and package them as what is currently selling hot. I did an experiment and bought 10 packages. of the 10 5 survived but took 3 years to bloom. Of those 5 1 bloomed what I thought was true. the other 4 were obviously not as advertized. Example the superstition which is a black iris bloomed yellow. Camalot Rose which is a wonderful bitone rose what bloomed was a pink over purple umbreta.
Just to warn you
:)
A

Like I said, Batik rotted twice before it bloomed properly.

I had several that came mis marked from various places. The same Dutch wholesalers name tags were on TB iris I bought at Earl May & 3 local private nurseries as well as Menards, Home Depot & Target. ALL had the same problems and came from the same Dutch wholesalers. I only bought firm roots, but many did not survive or bloom true to tag.

The same thing happened 2 years ago in the Lily trade---lilies our Lily Society bought wholesale, lilies fron Brecke, and various other sources were all mis marked & packaged.
Quite the drama. Many rotted or bloomed wrong. Asiatics were Orientals and visa versa.

Lily bulbs I bought from "reputable" lily catalogs & sites last fall bloomed wrong this spring.
All Dutch origin.

And we won't even start on daylilies that are mis named wherever you buy them! I grow my iris & daylilies & lilies in clumps that are seperated from each other. All are marked, I store file pictures & I know when something blooms wrong. Walmart & box stores are not at fault, wholesalers to the entire gardening industry are.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

wanda--interesting thread--I'm interested especially in who the wholesalers are...does anyone have names for them?

I was also amused to see that it's a 2003 thread--didn't notice it until Weegy mentioned it! (I wonder where Mainecoon found it?) LOL

Still, your irises from the 'marts' were/are beautiful. (I assume most of them made it for three years...) And the price was right for all that beauty!

Your 'raspberry blush' is really pretty. t.

Funny how old threads of conversation hang around...

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I know I am going to get in trouble with this but Wandasflowers'
picture of Sultan's palace is a perfect example. This is not Sultan's Palace
This is the OFFICIAL AIS description:

TB 34" (86 cm) M.
Tailored rich maroon-red self; F. velvety and slightly ruffled; self beard. B 530-2: (S 799-2 x Glowing Tiara) X Spartan. Schreiner's 1977.

One of the great things about Sultan's Palace is with rich red beard that matches the falls. If you look up on Dave's plant profile and look at all the different pictures of this iris you will find many which do not match this description and many do not even look like each other. Yes I know different soil and growing conditions can change the general coloring but not that drastically. Even my Sultan's Palace was pitched (no not composted given to a friend as an unknown) this year becasue it did not match the official description.

Having said all this however, I love all iris even the no names but since I am now hybridizing I need/want known irises which I can draw specific genes from. The large unknown area in my garden is getting smaller as I find homes for the no-names or misnamed including the mart iris I have gotten.

This is not to put ANYONE down for their purchases just information. Occasionally you get a jewel of an unknow that is just worth keeping. I have a historic MTB that I am keeping and using most I have talked to just call in the grave yard iris since it has been naturallized in many grave yards all over the country but no one has been able to identify it.

Have a wonderfull fall and hope All your rebloomers bloom.
:)
A

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Of course, I had to immediately check out my Sultan's Palace against the description.......

If you go to Schreiner's website, they released SP in 1977 and there's a picture. Even in their picture, the beard looks a little golden to me. But if definitely gives you a sense of the correct coloring.

Neil

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Gee, I guess I don't see the difference in Wanda's Sutton's Palace and Shreiner's Sutton's Palace. I guess, I'd have to see them side by side in the same lighting conditions to make a real determination. The bloom would have to be the same age, etc. What am I missing? I don't know.

Diann

I keep my expectations low for whatever I get from the *Marts and my favorite HD. Since we live in the middle of the high desert where everything is pretty much desert tan and sage gey-green covered in desert tan dust, if it grows and is some other color than tan or greyish green, then I'm happy. If it gets a bloom or two, I'm estatic. My *Mart flowers are just for prettys - I've got a few acres of sand I'm trying to cover up - so if they are fat and healthy looking - and cheap to boot, they fit the bill. I bought a few named varieties from Schreiners for the scienticfically correct part of me and for the start of my "official iris garden" that I am finally going to have. Of course they cost 2-3 times more, but will be worth it, I'm sure. They will also get plant labels so the aging part of my brain will have a clue some years down the line. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.