Help with ID please

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

I just picked this up on clearance, and the only thing the label says is Desert Rose. However, I've searched the internet, and can't find anything that looks like it with that name. To give you relative size, it's in a 6" pot.

Thumbnail by heather_v
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

looks like my hens and chix, but then again, I don't know much........LOL

Northern California, CA

I think it is an Aeonium, but there are lots of them so I can't give you any specifics. A "Desert Rose" may refer to it's rose-like structure. The Aeonium arboreum var. atropurpureum 'Schwarzkopf'(there are alternate spellings of the cultivar name which means black head in German) is probably the most widely available in the trade and is shown in the attached image. A "Desert Rose" usually means Adenium obesum.

Looks like it needs a good dose of bright light, but be careful not to put it in full sun right away or it will sunburn. Should green up and may have tones of yellow and red with some TLC. Dappled shade would be good to start.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

I knew someone on here would know :) Thanks for the quick response and heading me in the right direction! It is the Aeonium arboreum. Now I can find out how to take care of it, starting with putting it back outside to get brighter light.

And Flowox, it does look similar to hens and chicks, but the stem is different. If I would have taken the picture differently, it would show better. All of those rosettes are on separate stems brancing from the one main stem that you see coming out of the pot. I think if that main stem were stronger, it would stand up like a little tree.

This message was edited Monday, Aug 25th 11:08 PM

Valley Village, CA

I think the above ID is correct, good going. If you want to thicken the stem, do this. As soon as it cools off, sinck the whole stem into a deeper pot, take off all the side shoots if you wish at this time, but be sure to wait for cooler weather. Wait 3 weeks and fertilize. Those rosettes get the size of salad plates. When they start to grow they will be green in the center. Do not water this time of year, it could rot. The official spelling of 'Zwartkop' is such, according to the Huntington Botanical Gardens book. This time of the year it is almost black and for me has gone dormant. Crasulady2

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the tip about the stem. I may do that to see if I can get it to grow upright, unless you think it's a variety that's meant to grow along the ground? Some of the pictures I've seen online show them sprawling along the ground.

And I just found this picture online, I wonder if this is what I have, since mine is so green?

http://www.cactuscenter.com/I_aeon_arbor_g.html

Valley Village, CA

Heather, good to hear from you, no I don't think yours is the green one that lays on the ground. In November or when it gets cool, then cut it off 6" below the head of the plant, and sink it into a deeper pot all the way. Cut off the babies, and sink them each into a 4" pot all the way down, the heads should just rest on top of the soil, be sure to top dress. Wait 2 weeks and water. If I can be further help email me privately. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Heather you described the plant beautifully, we couln't have missed. They are from the Canary Islands growing on the hillsides. They also may be on other places close by. Aeonium love cool weather. Mine should all be waking up now. Getting their new green leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.