** New** Hoya Forum

Dripping Springs, TX

Thank you Norma! I hope it's a great success! Oh and thanks Dave!

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

What did I miss?

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

how did this get started. Must be norma's doings!!
Hope there are some experienced growers of this spieces I can learn from,
gayle

Valley Village, CA

No nothing to do with me. I haven't cleared it with this new group yet. I not the one that is starting this forum, so it's not my decision THEY MAY TAKE IT ELSEWHERE. You gals may start one however on Dave'S Garden. I would certainly join. Dave will help us all that he can. DAVE A BOX IS ON THE WAY, LOOK OUT FOR IT. Crasulady2

I do hope Dave starts a separate forum, not just a thread.
I have been working with Hoya the past 9 months, trying to learn, I know how to take care of them. I now know how to propagate them, finally. It's just the opposite of Crassula and succulent/cactus in general. They are great house plants, they do gather mealies, so I do a bed check daily, I have no mealies at this time. There are approxately 500 named species, forms, varieties, hybrids. They have magnificient wax like flowers, but then some are fuzzy, tri-colors, variegated. Some come with bumps on dimples on the leaves, some are fuzzy, waxy leaves, you name it they got it, just like the other species of succulents, some are not considered succulents, some hang down, some climb up, some are bushes. Not all need the same conditions, so you see there is a lot to learn, I only know a little bit, I now have fourteen books, and read approx. until midnight every night for the past 9 months. Dave this would be difficult as a thread, a forum is really needed if we can get enough people, and you are willing to moderate it closely. I'll discuss this with you privately.

Hoya take up a lot of time, they do have mini varieties, with mini flowers, they are an interesting species. In the eastern states, they are easier to find, out here in the west it is almost impossible, but part of collecting is being a detective and finding out all the suppliers. Which I will be able to help with, with Dave's permission, showing no favorites, or opinions which ones I think are the best, or even not good. Just be careful gals.

Dave and I will be discussing this privately. No one missed anything yet. This is just under discussion at this time. I suggested it. We have a small group that is looking for a home. I thought Dave would be a good place to be and safe. But it will be up to this group, not me. Norma

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Ahem, Norma
there is a new Forum called Hoyas on DG now :).
Hmmm I also thought twas you who got it initiated with dave.
Oh well, I'm happy anyways:)

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

i8 am missing something.
don't see a 'hoya' forum on daves

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

go here roof*

http://davesgarden.com/f/hoya/

Valley Village, CA

Okay I admit it I that started this thing going. I was inquiring if it would be possible. Then it was done, that I didn't expect.
I have an Ed Gilding (HI) plant, it just got rooted, I put a node under the soil, and one above, and guess what! A umbel has come up from the node that is under the soil line. It is huge, I don't know if it will continue to grow, I haven't even fertilized the plant yet.
The leaves are fuzzy and curl under, not really big yet, I noticed that when a plant is actively growing the leaves get larger as the plant gets older, I'm excited about this, this cutting only set roots a month ago. I only know that a year ago and couldn't get any Hoya to set roots, I rotted about 50 of them. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Well are you lookers, going to join in or not. We started this for you, and we hope you will feel comfortable here. We are all beginners, I think. This is a new hobby for me, but I have been studying every night. I wisg all of you will contribute, or this space may be taken up for other succulent hobbies like Pelagonium. Norma

It's what you don't know that will hurt you. Read a book.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.