In need of an ice plant primer

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi there: I have some ice plant that has grown nicely but won't bloom; too much shade I suspect. I want to move them to a sunny bank on one side of my driveway. Before I move them, I'd like to know what kind of soil they prefer and what ph they like. Do they need fertilizing and what would you use? My soil is red clay but I have some sand available if that would help...

Valley Village, CA

I would mix in some pumice in that clay, so water can drain better. That specie really doesn't need much help to grow, just good sunshine, water once in a while, and I would think that the soil would have enough to substain them.
There is also a product that can be watered in to make the soil more usable, not as clay like. I think it is called 'Water In' it allows the water to drain through the soil faster, and makes the soil more workable.

Valley Village, CA

Mix in the sand if it isn't sand pile stuff or beach stuff, make sure it is coarse sand. We use this plant on the sides of our freeways, they don't get fertilizer and lucky if they get any additional water other than what nature provides, they come from Africa, and get the same care there, none. They must wait for the rain to get water. These are no care plants, they do need good sun in order to set flower. Norma

Thanks. I think my sand comes from a load left by a truck to mix with cement while we will building our waterfall, patio, pond, and grotto. So I guess it is builder's sand. Is it OK?

Valley Village, CA

If it coarse builder sand it would be perfect. Pumice or perlite would help as well, I would still use a product called water in, so the roots don't hit the clay/cement like soil, you certainly don't need an ice plant primer, I think they would grow in anything except cement. I am growing one now in front of my house, I have a very sandy loam, nothing in it at all. Don't worry about the Ph I think would accept any thing other than an acid soil. Certain varieties actually grow in beach sand, these won't work for you at all. In Africa the soil is exceptionally fast draining being full of rocks, the rocks keep the soil open, yes, I really mean rocks. The do need strong sun to flower. Now I hope I covered it all, if not be sure to contact me. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Ship some of the sand to me. ;o) There are many varieties /specie of ice plant to select. Big leaves, tiny leaves. If you look closly you will find them all interesting. They really love the full sun, and very little water, don't start watering now, it's going into hot summer (no rain thus no water) in Africa. Start to
water in June. Do you have big leaf species or tiny leaf species. Plant rocks on the side of the hill, and tuck them into the nicks and crannys of those rocks, put gitty soil mix into the craannys. Norma

Since I started this thread, I mixed up a concoction of soil and coarse sand and transplanted pieces into holes all long a steep bank coming up one side of my driveway. I hope it survives and blooms because I have seen some around that have done beautifully here, even in this high-rainfall area. I appreciate all the help. I hope next year to post pictures of it if it does better.

Valley Village, CA

You better post pictures or I won't help you again, let me know how they grow, if they do well on your hill I'll send you some cuts next spring, water now, until the first rainfall then stop watering completely. They need the draught and heat to flower. It is hot summer now in Africa, and they will not get rain until late April throu August. if that much. I have them planted in fron of my house, getting western hot sun up to 100+F Are you growing the big leaf varieties, or the small flowering tiny leaf species?
Norma

LOL, I will Cras. I did have to add lime as my soil is VERY acid and it is also low in phosphates so I used some bone meal, but no nitrogen..They seem to be doing OK over the 7 weeks since I started this thread......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.