bamboo stakes

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

how long do you have to leave fresh cut bamboo before using it for stakes?

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

tiG, I use it right away. It won't root that way so no worry there if that is what you are asking. With golden bamboo, a friend likes it to turn yellow before she uses it since she likes a uniform look in her flower beds. My flower beds are never going to be uniform so I don't worry about that either.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

hehe mine either! but DSIL was certain it would root if I stuck it in the ground, thanks for the info!!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

nope, the only way they will root is from roots and even then some can be hard to get started. I know from experience. sigh

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Bonnie, my experience with bamboo is that bamboo I cut in the Spring-early Summer rotted within 2 years. The first bamboo I cut for my trellis and gates was cut in early Fall the previous year, and most of it is still viable after 5 years.

There must be many places near you along creek beds where you could cut stakes?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks darius. I have a friend of a friend that I can get some from but it's all huge, 3-4" round. But it's better than nothing:)

That's the size I used for my "posts" in the arbor. It was quite tall (close to 40'), and thin enough at the tops to make "pickets".

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I looked for cheap, strong waxed twine for lashing bamboo, and found this from an electronics company.

Now I'm told that they no l;onger carry it. If anyone figures out how to order it driect from Coast North America, please post the method!

----------

Good quality, VERY strong waxed twine. The price was great, but shipping was high:

9 PLY WAXED POLY TWINE 335 YARDS
Part No: 70-50448
$6.24

1,000 feet for $6.24 would be less than 2 cents per yard,
but I paid $12.87 shipping & handling for 4 spools (Texas to Seattle area).
With shipping, 3 cents per yard.

http://www.milestek.com/search.asp?skw=waxed twine
salesinfo@milestek.com

MilesTek Corporation
1506 Interstate 35 W
Denton, TX 76207-2402

Tel: (940) 484-9400
Free: (800) 958-5173
Fax: (940) 484-9402

This message was edited Nov 3, 2011 1:52 PM

I used waxed line for repairing fish nets, but it's been so long I don't remember the price.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

This might be too thick for that purpose, and stronger than necessary.

I wish I could find something just like mine but about 1/2 as thick and half the price - say 4-5 ply instead of 9-ply.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dental floss works for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.