Purple majesty pictures?

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

During the rush of this spring, I overlooked my packet from Morph's site and wondered who has some success stories and pictures. Looking forward to pictures. I'll try mine next year, but in the meantime, it will be great to see what happened this year for everyone else.

~Sandra

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

mine is little stubs...the chicken ate it!LOL

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

the wild birds ate the seeds that I planted out. I will try the others next year with a bird net over them.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Don't tell me I have a rare plant,LOL!!!!!

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Mine were Planted 2 Weeks Ago.
I Too Mis-Placed the Seed Envelope!
They are Now 2-3" High...In 6-Packs.
I'm Going to Plant them out this Weekend.
I'm Glad I Got 50 Seeds...About Half Germinated.
Boy I am Seeing these Millets all Around the Area in Different Landscapes.

Funny Thing...
I Went to a Growers Greenhouse Close-Out Sale...
They Have these Purple Majesty Millets in 6" Pots for 99 Cents!
With 5-7 Seed Stalks Already in Each Pot.
I Think I'll Go Out This Weekend, and Pick-Up a Few.
A Person Can Never Have Too Many Seeds to Trade!

Has Anyone's Starting Setting Seeds?

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Finally found pictures I thought I had accidentally erased! Here's my PM pix. Would love to see others...

Thumbnail by Morph
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I killed mine! :(

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I started some Purple Majesty seeds in the house and they are coming up green, is that normal? Will they turn purple? I received these seeds in a trade. Thanks, Cathy

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I think so, Cathy, from what I recall. They grow fast so I probably won't start mine for another month. I just don't want to have more plants to repot! I will hopefully get more this year to completely cover our ugly power boxes in the picture above. I'm anxious to see if the seeds I collected will germinate.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Great, I was wondering if they would turn purple. I have regular millet come up for the birds in a few places and thought I'd like to try the purple, it's a real nice looking plant. I winter sown some also to see it they come up that way. Yes, they appear to be growing fast. I'll have to plant them up soon. Cathy

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Good luck and take some pictures, okay? Would love to see others here ☺

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

My seed packs said basically that it likes to hit the ground running.
A lot of light, heat and don't let it dry out in the early stages.
It will turn purple as the light increases.
I grew a bunch but wasn't very impressed.
In fairness though I couldn't give it full sun, so mine was a bit stunted.
I'm trying tricolor corn this year.

Ric

Wellford, SC(Zone 8a)

Even more impressive than Purple Majesty Millet is Burgandy
Giant Fountain Grass. This one is at Park Seed in Greenwood,
SC

Thumbnail by MrMac81
Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Dang , that loooks an awful lot like my PMM

This message was edited Jul 3, 2004 10:58 AM

Wellford, SC(Zone 8a)

Scooterbug: My posted Picture was Purple Majesty Ornamental Millet( my error) but I see a lot of confusion with another plant supposely called Purple Ornamental Millet?

Thumbnail by MrMac81

IMO, I believe environment can greatly effect the appearance of this Pennisetum as evident in the PDB pictures.
I like to place small clumps here and there in the garden for contrast and structural interest.
>^,,^< SB

This message was edited Jul 4, 2004 9:21 AM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Oooopsie, Sorry I did not resize the photo =(

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

All mine I collected seeds from do not come back purple. All are green. It is a hybred.

TA, Thanks, I've heard that from someone else in the past.

I will give it a go this winter. I get best germ. results for ornamental grasses by winter sowing. Any one want some Red Switch Grass ? hahahahaha !

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Nat has some lovely purple millet, pics posted in the TNRU threads, 2004.

Thanks Darius
We can never get enough of looking at pics =)

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I planted Purple Majesty Millet (PMM) and sweet potato vines in a self watering planter (holds 4 gallons of water). The seed heads were over a foot long and PMM is still putting out new shoots.

As a side note, the sweet potato vines did so well - - that we had to move the container. They look like Kudzu growing off the side of my porch.

I also planted PMM in the ground which did ok, but nothing like those in the self watering planter. http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=11733&DeptPGID=18247&lstCategory=0&RecGroupNum=1

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Nat I have to admit I saved your picture and the growing instructions you gave in a previous thread on my desktop. The size of plants and the combination took my breath away! :)

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks! :-)

Hey nat, are you for hire as a garden designer ?

You should get into that. Just think............. you can get paid for doing something you love.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

:-)

If granny style gardening ever becomes the rage, maybe I'll have a marketable skill! Until then, I think I'll keep my day job.

(((scooter))) - - good for my ego!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.