purple majesty millet

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

wanted to know if anyone knows when the seeds are ready on the millet? web site advice anything thanks moretz

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Here's a photo I took yesterday, and it looks as though this is what the seeds will look like. I consider them too green yet to collect, but I'm watching them closely, to keep the birds from eating them all. When they're dry enough I plan to cut the entire head and put it in a paper bag to continue drying. Hope this helps.

Thumbnail by MossRose
hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

MossRose
yes mine looks like that too.the birds are already getting mine so i already tied a paper bag over it so they wont get no more lol i hope they will still ripen that way? thanks for helping
moretz

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Moretz, it's strange but the birds aren't bothering mine at all. It's just dawned on me that all my watering spots must be dry! Now that I think about it I've not seen many birds in the last week. We're having drought conditions here,,again! I try to keep my birdbaths and a few other containers full of water for the birds, but apparently they've gone dry. In fact I better get out there and fill them!!!

I'm sure they'll continue to ripen in the bag...mine always do.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

MossRose
do you have any idea of how long i am suppose to leave on the plant before i cut it loose and bring it in to dry? this is the first year for me and i woul dlove to make sure i save the seeds to grow it next year any help woudl be appriciated thanks moretz

Lombard, IL(Zone 5a)

Mossrose and moretz
Are you two going to trade seeds when they are ready if so sign me up anf tell me what cha want, I was going to order from pintree, LOl
Lori

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Here are mine.:0)

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Looking good Root!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

LORIMORETTI
you might convence me to let some go ffor a trade lol. i am a variegated freek and an unusual plant woman too. do you have anything int hat catagory? plmk moretz

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

please let me know when u harvet your so i know when to get mine because i dont have a clue on when to harvest them thanks moretz

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

has anyone collected their seeds yet? if so when and how did you know it was time to collect them please help thanks moretz

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Moretz,I just collected some Nicotina,and some Cleome,not sure if you saw it in Tropicals,I mentioned to you,that your Nana is in traveling shape and your Ear too,so don't think I have forgot you.;0)

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

rootdoctor
well that is great i am making me a tropical garden and they will love it i cant wait to get them please email me ok so we can get this trade worked out thanks so much rootdoctor
moretz

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful red cannas too Doc. I have already cut the heads off my millet. The plant had died back, probably due to our lack of moisture in Iowa. Still have some seed from the co-op for next year just in case.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

Brugie
thanks for letting me know but mine isent dead yet it keeps sending up new flower buds LOL so i dont reallt know when to collect mine.we have gotten so much rain here that it just keeps growing. i hope to collect some soon thanks for helping moretz

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Your plants hit the mail today!My Millet has not changed,I'm not sure when I will cut them,maybe I will give them a good eyeball tomorrow.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the information. I've got a couple growing
and my Dad wanted seeds.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Wow Rooty,What a beautiful picture,color me envious...;-D SB

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Mortez: Here's useful site about seeds: http://theseedsite.co.uk/db4.html

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I am letting the birds have my purple majesty millet. I was not that impressed with it but the birds sure are.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

rootdoctor
thanks so much looking forward to the plants they will love their new home.ttys i hope.thanks again!!!!!

Weezingreens
thanks for the seed site but it dont have millet on the list yet but a good one for me to look up others thanks!!!!

weeds
why werent you impressed with the millet? just wondering i loved it,the purple leaves and flowers was just like it was in the pics i have seen.i want to grow it next year.yes and the birds love it too so i hope to get some before they get them all lol thanks everyone for the help

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

It is pretty but I had a hard time getting the seeds to germinate and grow (I am no good with seeds) and I just didn't want to fool with it again. Maybe some will grow naturally.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

weeds,
Thanks for the post I was just about to order seed @ 10 for $2.00..think I'll wait till I have stuff to trade.
>^,,^< SB edited for spelling

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 17th 9:04 PM

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

SB, If there are any left on mine I will get you a few.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

ok everyone i collected my millet seeds i hope i waited long enough thanks so much for all your help and i hope god has blessed you with plenty of seeds to trade this year. happy gardening
moretz

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

moretz, did the seeds come off easy? I can't figure out if mine are ready or not.
Ruth

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

All my seeds are gone, those birdies had a field day!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

look at MossRose pic near the top that is how mine looks and so i decided to take them off and let them dry more in the house we have been getting alot of rain lately. some are a little hard to get out but some arent.i tried a few but not all they r still dring.
weeds, sory to hear.but you wasnt wanting any seeds was u for next year? if so i can send you some of mine if you like thanks again everyone for all your help
moretz

cape may court house, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have several Balloon Flowers.
Yesterday I saw what I think is a pod.
I opened it and I have little black seeds, look almost like grnd. pepper.

Anyone have a hyperlink?
Sandy

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

That looks great moretz. I would take a few and see if they will grow by my pond, thank you. Next year maybe I can beat the birds to the seeds!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

weeds
please email me your addy and i will get them out tomorrow
moretz

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

You have mail

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I've been told that because the purple majesty millet is a hybrid we are unlikele to get purple millet plants from the seed collected (most would likely be just plain millet). Has anyone had any success with starting ppm from saved seed? Also same question re saved impatiens seed - does it breed true for color?

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

jagonjune
I have been saving impatiens seed for the past five years, most of the time it comes out same color, guess it might depend on how far down the line it is-this year I have some that are neon orange/lipstick/red cross, they are really pretty. Unless you want a specific color it doesn't really make any difference, for your own use, does it?
This year I have 12 colors, maybe next year I'll end up with more! LOL

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

jagonjune
i bought my seeds this year and they came true from seeds e but not sure about the ones i collect if they will. i have read that they do and they dont so i am going to try it i read also that is could be a 50/50 chance on it so i am going to try it and see.
moretz

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey, I wonder if my African Grey's would eat this? Hmmmm

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

This will be interesting. Purple Majesty IS a hybrid and you can save seed, but the seedlings will have all manner of traits combined from the two inbreds that were crossed to produce the hybrid. You'll probably get a range of heights and colors, then after a few generations of selection, you'll have your own varieties custom-selected to suit your particular tastes and growing conditions. Next year, picture posts, please!

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

anyone wanna give me a few seeds for sase? I think I may have to try this :-)

Julieanne aka annabellegabby

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Annabellegabby I will share seed off the purple majesty I saved this yr for sase.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Cool yardbird :-) Email me with addy and I'll get it out in the mail, how much do you think in postage you'll need?

thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.