Peperomia question

Agawam, MA

Hi everyone - I'm glad to find a new and better place to post my houseplant questions! I have a few different varieties of peperomia, but one is giving me trouble. It is one of the upright, fleshy leaved types and varigated. The new growth is small, curled and misshapen. Any ideas why? Thanks.
Cindy
P.S. I just checked for bugs, didn't see anything.

This message was edited Saturday, May 26th 11:34 AM

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

Agawam, MA

Sorry, I'm not up-to-date with photo eqiupment yet. Here is more info, though: I have it in a west facing window and did notice that the soil might be staying moist too long due to damp, rainy weather we are having. The other similar types that I have are in the same conditions and seem to be doing OK, that's why I'm baffled.

Agawam, MA

Hey Jewel,
This IS a great place! Thanks for getting me thinking about the roots - it makes sense. I think for now, I'm going to repot, that over-moist soil is making me nervous. I had a pep. a long time ago that did the same thing, never did figure out why.

Agawam, MA

I may have found the problem - when I repotted, I found that the rootball was compacted and DRY even though all the soil around it was wet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be happier now!
Thanks all.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi all,

CindyM,

I've had this same problem, & assumed it was from changing its environment (like when Ficus Benjamina drops leaves from changes in light exposure). I've recently had 2 fleshy ones like this, 1 I lost & the other is hanging on. I too have all western exposures, but grow them 10' in from the windows as my west windows get very strong, all day light. You're braver that I, was afraid to turn it out & take a look. Good luck w/ yours (& mine).

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

CindyM - You mentioned that when you unpotted you found that the rootball was dry and compacted while the surrounding soil was wet. My recommendation is that you unpot again; discard the soil around the rootball; soak the rootball until it is remoistened; repot the plant into a plastic pot just big enough for the original rootball to fit into. This arrangement will allow you to better monitor the rootball moisture and the plant will do better when it is potbound. Just try to avoid letting the rootball become completely dried out.
Will Creed
Horticultural Help

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.