Crassula- Who collects?

Valley Village, CA

I would like to exchange information regarding this species, and perhaps trade a few.
I don't know anyone who collects this species. Did you know there is a new book out there for the Species Crassula, it is just a picture guide that might be helpful? Norma

Valley Village, CA

Shame on all of you, why not? Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Norma, lead us! O fearless leader!

Quite frankly, I love to know the names of my plants, but I couldnt tell you if I have any crassulacae or not.

can you direct us to fotos, common names, or somethin?

Love, Lavanda

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

NOrmita, you were too correct!

Shame on me! Actually after browsing in PDB ofr another topics, I found I DO collect them... and have some and want others!

DOH!

This topics DOES need more discussion.

Valley Village, CA

Well let me give you a start, there are many books available but not cover every species, and some are not worth collection.

1. There are approx 150 species
2. All toatal including the hybrids subsp. varieties, forms, etc. there about about 500.
3. Some are compact
4. They are like other plants, some annual, bi annual, water growers, sumer growers, winter growers, east coast or west coast of Africa all in Africa, two in China, SinoCrassula. Growing in pure quartzite, sand stone, decomposed granite. They grow under bushes, among the rock, their life depends on yearly rains, or the fog that rolls onto the land. The soil is poor and rocky.

Now we can go from here, you ask the questions I will come up with the responses, the rest of you can chime in. This is not a closed discussion. We hope this will be informative,
I will not critize anyone, but will give my opinion. We can disagree and be friendly. WE are talking about the species Crassula nothing else.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Can you mention some names of crassulaceae plants?

Valley Village, CA

I will only tell you about plants that are obtainable.

C. marchandii low light columnar clump, mini.
C. streyii low light, green on top and maroon underside
C. plegmatoides (arta) sun grey minature
c. tecta sun grey miniature
C. multicava shade or low light low growing ground cover
C. volkensii part sun for color
C. tetragona sun to 2 1/2 ft. for narrow border, poor soil
C. sarcocaulis lower light, indirect light, little tree
C. rupestris 4 subspecies or varieties, pink, green, red leaf,
'Tom Thumb' all sun plants mini
'Pastel' mini morning sun
c. perforata, green, blue (conjuncta, perfossa) sun
C. ovata, I have 22 varieties sun, poor soil
C. muscosa, I have 10 varieties sun, poor soil
C. mesembryanthemopsis 2 varieties, blue leaf, grey/brown
lf.
This is a few to get you started,

I can describe each one, not all take sun, not all take shade. Each one has their own personality. This is only a quide. Your growing conditions will make a difference.

This is a start, ask more questions, and if any one else has input please join in, this is a public forum. Jump, in I won't bite. Norma

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

crusulady2, i just purchased crassula 'flame' from shoalcreek,can you tell me anything about it?
I appreciate the fact that you never make me feel like i am asking you stupid questions.
your input is always appreciated by youres truely

Gayle

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 31st 5:44 PM

Valley Village, CA

Gayle, this is a member of the famous clan of C. capitella subsp thyrsiflora. There are about 10 members of the complex, and so we give them cute names in order for us to know which one we are talking about. 'Flame' was an old name, then it was changed to 'Campfire' I think because Lillian True (deceased) was the first to bring it to this country. She named it. Gave it to the old Johnson Cactus Gardens, they forgot the name, but knew it had something to do with fire so called it flame. This is how wrong names get started. She probably jumped in and made the correction. I have in my posession to letter from different people stating this fact. We don't know if this one is a X of some sort or a true species. I do have some information but not sure it is true. (no pun attended)

Care: Very little, it's about ready to flower, after they dry up, about December cut the flower stalk all the way down to the new growth, which should be coming up then.
Water very little or you may get black spots, and mealies at the point of growth. Spray with Saffer's soap.

Propagation: May be taken from the new growth, from the stems, from leaves, they start very easy. Can be grown in open run, or pots,

Fertilize: Don't

Flowers: May stink, growing to at least a foot high.

Color: Should be a bright orange red, expecially in December.
New growth will be an apple green

They love the cold weather, good light, poor soil, little water. Good fast drainage.
If I left anything out please post the question.

I don't care if any of you disagree, she asked the question, you all had a chance to respond. We can disagree. This is what a forum is about, discussion .

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

norma shoalcreek had both 'flame' and 'campfire' listed.
they were 'out' of 'flame' and so substitied campfire' on my order.
i am not unhappy , all three plants i ordered from this co were very nice looking.
just wondering about those names

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, but isnt the crassulacae family about mor than just those plants beginning with crassula blankety-blank ?

Like Kalanchoes?

Valley Village, CA

Yes, that is true, but at the very being of this thread I said would only discuss the Crassula, the species.
Crassulaceae: I hope I spelled that right.

Tylecodon
Kalanchoe
Sedum
Aeonium
Sinocrassula
Sempervivum
Cotyledon
Dudleya
Crassula
Graptoveria
Greeovia
Bryophyllum ? I have not seen an offical publication regarding this yet.
Orostachys
Semperviella
Pachyphytum
Thompsonella
Villadia
Echevieria
Duvalia
Aichryson

Perhaps a new forum should be started to include all of them. I only collect about 1/2 doz. or so of the other species of Crassulaceae. You may want to start another thread of each of these species. You should discuss this with Dave.

I found these, I may have left out another dozen,

Norma

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Norma,
maybe you can help me with a problem on my C.ovata 'variegata'.
I do have 3 relatively young plants and some of the lower leaves show a brown discoloration. It looks similar to the wood like patterns of the main stems on the plants.
What could be the cause?
Mind you the plants are growing nicely, though I feel the variegated form grows slower then the "normal" form.
BTW i do have a "normal" C. obovata which grows under the same conditions and does not have the discoloration.

Thanks in advance for any help/tips

Milan

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

i apoligize if I ask a question in a forum that should have been asked some place else. I am new to succulent collection and am very excited about my new plants. I assumed this plant was in that species because of how it was listed with shoal creek.
please forgive this ambitious ametuer.

Gayle

Valley Village, CA

Gayle, no foul, no falt.
Crassula 'Campfire' goes under both names.
I would love to see what they are calling 'Flame' perhaps you can teach me something hear. That was interesting to me.
There are approx. 300+ Crassula, many names are just plain syn. nurseries don't know the difference, and that is exactly what is causing all the problems.

Crassula capitell v. trysiflora has at least 10 different forms, varieties, selections. Each are named differently to be able to distinguish them. I only know that this particular plant had both names attached. Where you bought it may have another of the family called 'Flame' if you can get it or get a picture I sure would be interested. There is also one called 'Red coral' I sure would like to see what plant they are referring to.

You were not off topic, Crassulaceae is only the second largest family of the succulents, cacti being the largest.

Gayle, that was no biggie. I'm glad that you asked. This is the only way we learn, I have no one else in the world to discuss this genus. So I appreciate everyone of you. Norma

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

norma, I would love to see 'flame' also. they had both listed as two diffrent plants , but only had a pic of 'flame'. I recieved 'campfire' because they were out of 'flame', but to my untrained eye it looks like the same plant, except that 'flame' had more color. that could be because it being a more mature plant. I understand that the new growth on this plant comes in green?
when you say they love cold, do you know how cold of tempertures they need in dormancy?

Valley Village, CA

They stop growing in about Nov. -January, the new growth starts about February. Telll me about 'Flame' 'Campfire' has long leaves that are about 1 " wide. and 6:" long, it is about ready to come into flower. All of the infl. of this species is the same, a bunch of flowers going up the stem, the largest bunch the biggest, getting smaller and more pointed as they go up the stem. I think they stink, (cat unrine) ugh! and yet at other times they didn't have a bad smell at all. Now I am giving you measurements from memory, I need to go out and take a look right now. If you want them to turn red, cut off a piece or take the plant out of the soil, and just let it sit. It sure will turn very red. I'm going out now and bring in a piece.

Valley Village, CA

Okay, my C. 'Campfire' bottom leaves are at this time 3" and turn down, as they go up the stem they get smaller and the nodes are closer together amd the leaves turn up.They are only slighted tinted red at this time, they are getting far too much water, I turn the sprinklers on for the lawn, so at this time of year they are very green, by December they will be very red. At the widest part they are a little over 1/2" across, and highly keeled like a canoe. I have some small offsets starting from the nodes at this time, but only on the upper nodes. Now please describe the one that you purchased. There is a smaller form that could be the one that you are talking about, and it's sounds logical, I am very interested in this plant. I have it, I just didn't know what they called that one, I gave it a name, but it isn't the right name, and I know it. So now the search begins, and you could be a big help in that search. Gayle, please send me your address, and I'll send you a piece of what we are calling 'Campfire' Norma

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

I didn't explain myself well.
I didn't get flame. They were 'out' and sustituted 'campfire',
So campfire is what I have
Going back and read youre last post now
Gayle

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

scs"2003-201849
crassula 'campfire'
leaves 1/2" to 3/4" wide, tips of leaves just starting to turn red, leaf edges turn inward like a spoon but not as deep.nodes close together as they go up the stem.Bottom leaves laying down.
keeping in full sun. letting dry out before watering. Potted in shultz cactus potting mix { please tell me how to make a succulent mix at home !!}
youre description sounds like what I have .
you have e-mail

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 7th 9:59 PM

Valley Village, CA

I have a feeling a gut feeling that C. 'Flame' could be the one we are calling 'Firecracker' which I know is wrong. A flame is smaller than a campfire, so it stands to reason that 'Flame' is really the correct name for the smaller of the two. I have something else again, which I have been calling 'Firechief' because I don't know the correct name, and then there is another one which I just shake my head every time I mention it. It has rose colored flowers, intermediate size leaves. I not even sure of this one. I think you have helped me a great deal. I'll search that out, to make sure I can back myself up. Good catch, thank you.

Now see that didn't hurt, so what are the rest of you afraid of? I spell crazy, my sentence structure is nutty, yet here I am. I'm certainly don't claim to be better than any of you. So please jump in and help. Norma

Valley Village, CA

My email Crasulady2@adelphia.net
Do you have an address. I will mail you both pieces of these plants. I think you just sold a big problem. Norma

Valley Village, CA

If any of you lose your Crassula ovata, I would be willing to replace it. Just send the postage, now I'm not talking about a big plant, just a small stem,

I will be willing to send a piece of the following: Crassula capitella v. trysiflora
I also have plenty of C. tetragona
C. multicava filtered light.
But you need to send postage first.
Always send your address along so I am able to read it.
I have nice clean boxes at this time, and I'm not volunteering at the Huntington at this time. Norma

Chula Vista, CA

Norma, could you please tell us the name of the new book, or its author's name? I don't have very many books, yet, but stacked crassulas are one of my special fascinations.

When searching for stuff about C. capitella v. thrysiflora, I found a picture that looked a lot like the one I saw at the SDCSS meeting last week, but it had the caption, "Crassula corymbulosa". Can you tell me if these two crassulas are very similar, or is this picture just labeled wrong? You can look at the picture if you scroll down the list brought up at the URL I will post here:
http://members.cox.net/daniels_specialty_nursery/crassula.html

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Roofie, dahlin, Happy Birthday! many you hve many more yers filled with suculents and beautiful flowers!

Hugs, Lavanda

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

thanks for the birthday greeting, Lavanda!
can trade with you if you like, e-mail me youre address and I will do the same

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi group!
the garden bookworm has several books. Crassula a grower's guide and then several books on the subject of succulents. My advice is to go for the books that are strictly about succulents because most cacti and succulent guides kinda shortchange the succulents. Crassulaceae are a very large group. Most of us have had a jade plant at one time or another. I have a whole dynasty of Crassula ovata that sprang from one jade plant chewed into parts by a squirell. Various parts and seedlings have gone on to win prizes at our flower show in Boston.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Only have a few succulents,bought this one a few yrs back,in memeory of my mother-in -laws passing,guess what its flowering.Man aren't this babies tiny!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh here's the variety.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Valley Village, CA

Tropicman, The leaf looks like C. streyi
It flowers in the winter here under a tree, it is great in the shade for a groundcover in hot areas, or on a north wall. I grow mainly the W. African ones here, listed most of the familys.

Here is the cheapest book on Crassula and the most accurate in my opinion but difficult to use with out some background, I struggled through it, FLORA OF SOUTHERN AFRICA by Tolken now I hope I'm allowed to give this information, get in touch with a botanical book store. I can give you names, but afraid to do so here. I'm afraid that I may be shipped off to Disney World LOL Email me privately for information like that. I am happy to do so if allowed. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Another whoops, C. streyi, I got it mixed up with multicava, sorry, the leaves are similar. C. streyi comes from the east coast, and take entirely different growing conditions than the w. African plants. We must grow it is low light here where I live. and yes it can have some four or five part petals. Its a good identification. It does have beautiful coloring in the leaves, the leaves happen to be a good means of identification on this plant, take a picture of the bottom of the leaves and show them to us all. This one makes a lovely house plant, and is one of my favorites.

I want to start several new threads, how can I do that?

Valley Village, CA

To all of you.

In the new Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants it does not separate out Bryophyllum out of the Kalanchoe ( I don't care how it is pronounced ) species it is just a separate section. Tolken classification was upheld by the IOS congress in Africa, that was what I was waiting for. I know many people will dissagree, but I do not make the rules. I am only reporting to the best of my knowledge what happened. I am not a taxinonist, I don't even spell things correctly LOL give me a break gang. Norma

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of lower leaves

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's the top

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Valley Village, CA

Lavanda, check out the FAQ it's not completely accurate, but it is better than nothing. Norma
Succulents 11 book has a collections of Crassula pictures, but it's not completely accurate, but better than noting.
Crassujla by Gordon Rowley is all pictures and a very excellant background material to read on the front pages, it is not completly accurate, but it is better than nothing.

Succulent Flora a of Southern Africa Droeen Court. not completly accurate, but better than most. the first page that fell open on Kalanchoe I found a mistake.
You must remember I know very little, I wonder what the botanist notice?

I have already found picture switched in the Crassulaceae by Eggli . Tlhe Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants, they must cringe when they see these mistake not caught by the editors. Not completely accurate, but better than nothing.
I can hardly recognize the pictures. In this book, I can't figure out where they got those pictures, and who was the phogographer, It was the most expensive of the books mentioned.

Books are wonderful if they can be relied on. My favorite (no pictures is Flora of Southern Africa, the most accurate, line drawing and it includes Kalanchoe, Cotyledon, Tylecoden .It is the cheapest and the most accurate this is my opinion and a 1st amendment right,

My old time favortie which I just love more the Tolken, is Herman Jacobsens Lexison of Succulent Plants, it is out of print, and now expenseive. It has some black and white pictures, but they are better than the new books with state of the art printing in color. It is very accutate, the measurement got me through my first 10 years of collcting Crassulaceae species. Bless him, the new Illustrated books in my opinion will never replace Hermann. I wish I was born 100 years earlier so I could have met this great man, who didn't have a doctors degree in Botany.

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Succulents Gordon Rowley
Has an excellent chart of the Stone Crop Families with a breakdown to genus level of six subfamilies, Crassulaceae being only one of the six. WE may as a group need to go into this further, I was told I brushed over it to lightly and tried to simplify, and in doing so, perhaps confused a few, I am sorry,

Succulents 1 by Maurizio Sajeva makes me want to cry. I did write him a letter, I also called long distance, he only speaks Italian, most of the pictures don't have the right color and may lead you into the cow pasture. I hope I didn't leave anyone out. I want to be politically correct. LOL *Norma

*I dont endose any of them, I have these books, I use them,
this is only an opinion as I see it and use it.

If you need more ask. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.