Customs impounded Geraniums sent to Psilo and I

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

and will now burn the plants sent by a fellow DGer. In all my years of buying and swapping this a first. I hope I'm not on a hit list now.Good job they dont realise the amount of plants that come my way from around the world.

How they ever traced me to work I will never know. Obviously they have contacts.

However they cant find phone details for Psilo.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

yikes! that's not good mark. I'm sorry, I hope they are something that can be replaced.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

What happened? Did they call & tell you? Here they just destroy the plants. We're left wondering what ever happened to them.

of course they can be replaced. I think Louisa sent the plants to us both.

Customs and Excise phoned me at work, which is a new number, and asked did I realise I was breaking the law blah blah and that the packges and their contents will be burnt. I will also be getting an official letter pointing out how illegal it is to import plants without a license. it wont stop me though! It's only illegal if I get caught

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

No Mark, it wasn't me!!!! I haven't sent anything to the UK!! But I had intended to send to Germany!! Seconding Sue's remark....how the heck did they know what's inside the package!! Must have special sniffers or what!!

I dont know we'll have to wait and see who sent the Geraniums I'm so bad with names. It was G sanguineum 'New Hampshire Purple'

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

It was me Mark,,and it costs $11 per package!!! I don't mind the money,,,if...you guys get the plants..but to think that the money was burned, along with the four very healthy Geraniums,,really burns my...you know. I don't remember if it was you, or Psilo, that I asked about sending the plants because of customs..it seems one of you thought it would be ok and that the laws in the UK were very laxed.. Now we know. Sorry you didn't get the plants, they were good looking plants and I cut several blooms off before boxing. Oh well!

I have received so many plants over the years from abroad and none have been stopped.$11 is a bit steep for mailing plants. who did you use? did you write anything on the box?

Guess I'll have to send you extra goodies to make up for the loss

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

mark, that's not steep to send over there. it's very good. I've paid much more than that. key is to use the smallest box and lightest weight possible, but the very minimum is about $9 I think.

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

I sent them through the US postal system. I had a choice, $11 and it would take 4 - 6 days, or a lower amount (I don't remember how much) and it would have taken 4 - 6 WEEKS! I couldn't imagine those little plants surviving 4 weeks in a dark, dry box. No, I didn't put anything on the outside of the box, with the exception of my return address and your address. What upsets me the most...I really wanted to share my plants with yall...you both have so many wonderful Geraniums and I was excited about adding one to your gardens.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Not to be a spoil-sport, but.....if it's against the law, shouldn't this practice stop???

no way! some plants are only available here some are only available there or in other countries. There are so many people trading these days illegal or not. if it is done right there will be no harm done

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well....speaking for myself and in a very quiet voice.... this subject could well open a can of worms and I'm not prepared to go into it because I feel I would just be knocking my head against a brick wall and I too want to stay 'mellow'!!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Lol Louisa! No brick wall pounding today? Hehehe.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lol Sue - you are correct!! And besides which, I have far more urgent matters on my mind. :-)

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Mark, it sure does sound like they have targeted you and put some effort into reaching you at work. What is the worst case scenario should you get caught again now that you've had a warning?

slap on the wrist I would imagine when a teenager who murders a pensioner gets 12 years but released in 6

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.