Tropical Hibiscus

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I got some cuttings for a variegated tropical hibiscus. Any suggestions on the best way to root them?

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

I have no idea, but i'm sure someone who does hibiscus cuttings will come by and let you know. I just dip in rootone and then a soiless mix when i do cuttings. I don't know if you do that with hibiscus or not tho. LOL Tracy

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Check out North Carolina Coop info at http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html Hibiscus is listed under deciduous trees, towards the middle of the bottom list.

when i have them i just stick them in dirt and keep them plenty wet for about a week

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I put them in a jar half filled with perlite and about an inch of water in the bottom. Cover lightly with a plastic bag and they will root in about a month or so. Just don't let the jar go dry and if it is humid in your area, forget the bag.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone!

La Porte, TX(Zone 9a)

I have rooted several hibiscus in the past couple of months. I used rooting hormone and put them in perlite. Once there were roots (or leaves budding), I planted them in soil. So far, so good. I know some of them have rooted really good and some just have leaves but they say once the leaves come, roots will follow!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

I have 5 tropical hibiscus started from seed. I was informed that cuttings from the main plants, rooted, will bloom before the mother plant! So, I took cuttings of each and pushed them into the soil around the main plants, where they rooted easily. These are all potted plants, with soilless medium. No blooms yet, as we go into their second year.

La Porte, TX(Zone 9a)

I have rooted several hibiscus. I put the cuttings in perlite first and kept them watered. (I used Rooting Hormone also.) I watched for roots or leaves (whichever came first) and then moved them into their own pots with soil.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

John, it takes hibiscus 2-3 years to bloom, depending on where the cutting was taken from.

"eyes"

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks "eyes". Guess I'll have to be patient!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I take all my cuttings off the top. They bloom the next summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.