Red dot

I don't care for roses
(19 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Baa, where's your vote...?

;) B

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I love the compact blossom shape of a hybrid tea, but dislike the care they require. My Zepherine Droughin climbing rose is my favorite: thornless and easy-care!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I voted climbers and ramblers ... because they've always put on such a show for me! Especially this "Blaze" I trained horizontally along this wood fence. I wish I had a picture of my "Don Juan" that grew up a lattice wall just outside my kitchen window. They've been spectacular ... but with a lot of care and maintenance to boot.

Thumbnail by jules_jewel
Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Jules..is that one plant? Wow what a show!
I just planted a Don Juan..so hope it does well for me. Never had a climber before.
I chose Hybrid tea..
Here is my Everest Double fragrance..it is my favorite so far..but I have some new babies this year..so we will see..

Thumbnail by Starzz
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

A rose is a rose, I love them all.

I have a small garden(really, really tiny) and a mini rose fulfills my desire for the beauty and color of normal sized roses. I do miss the fragrance, though. My parents had a gorgeous climber in their hedges when I was a kid. Developers cut all the trees, shrubs, and any other living thing down for more sterile suburban homes. Your pics are great!

This message was edited Wednesday, Jun 4th 2:14 AM

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

This is another occasion when I'd like to tick more than one box!
I love all OGRs including the old climbers and ramblers. The shape of the flowers and the perfume are so romantic (can't think of another word for what I feel LOL)

The list of examples would be endless but here's one that's really good value - healthy, very long flowering with huge sprays of flowers, lovely scent, beautifully shaped blooms.....
Blush Noisette (a climber)

Thumbnail by philomel
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I think it very interesting the votes for climbers, OGRs and The English Austin series....after all, the forementioned and the Austins are all progenies of the OGRs! most of them, anyhow!!! E.

Which way did you vote Elaine?

I intended to mention that there is no tick box for species roses, though I suppose they come under shrub roses or climbers........and when it comes down to it, which of our current 'modern' roses have not been bred from old roses?

I'm very fond of some of the more modern shrub roses, particularly the singles and semi doubles

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

HT is my favorite, the queen of all the roses.

No comparision.

Paul

Arsenic

Take a guess where my vote is *G*

As most people here must know by now, I really don't give 2 hoots for roses. Scratchy, nasty, primadonnas that don't give nearly enough seasons interest or novelty value for a Baa garden.

We do have roses, since I have to share with my Mother who doesn't mind the occasional one. I actually bought 2 of them, the viridiflora which is pure heritage/mutant interest and a tiny, double white, vicious little monster that cost 40pence and adores the heavy brick clay in the front garden. For those reasons alone they are given garden room!

G-Day to you all in the garden, help is whatI need please,If anyone has adviceIt would be most appreciated.
I have 30 standard Iceburg roses which are now 3 years old.
They keep getting a brown tip on the leaves and within a few days it has covered the leaf and then kills them as we just adore our garden i must say that it has become a heart ache we have used everything.But to no avail.I.E.our last attempt was yates Rose gun .We have already lost 3 standards why we dont know the branches go black. HELP PLEASE ANYONE. I am in Tears.hotchill.p.s.
we have bore water and we are in western australia south.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

phil.......I voted for the OGRs of course!!! E.

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

I like any rose which looks nice and has a strong fragrance. I don't care whether they have lots, or no thorns, or whether they are easy to grow or not.
I plant them, if they grow ... good, if they don't ... compost heap .... easy peasy ;-)

Wintermoor

;-D @ Elaine (and Barry lol)

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi, I'm new here. Thought I'd jump in. =)

I'm not much of a rose person - not that I don't love them in other people's gardens. They are just too much trouble, too much like work to be fun!
I don't have time for anything that can't take humidity or has a weakness for mildew. It's way too humid here in South Louisiana.

However, there are a couple of rose bushes in my garden, one that's been there for twenty years, predating my plantings - gangley thing, always trying to take over the patio. Pretty clusters of fragrant red flowers keep me from hacking it down. As long as it survives without any special help from me, I work around it. The other I bought last year for my mother, a yellow hybrid tea. I don't think that one is going to make it, tho. It seems so distraught, so miserable that I feel guilty every time I look at it!

This message was edited Monday, Jun 2nd 12:53 PM

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

I'm completely new to gardening and have found roses absolutely fascinating Much to DH's dismay I found the Wayside sale irrisistable and have purchased several, but listed climbers as faves, but like aaaalllll of them. Especially the old fragrant ones. Tracy (Hope I don't loose them all cause i don't know what I'm doing!!!)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

OGRs, without them there are no others! (I include species in the OGR category, by the by).

I am also fond of my two Austins and Dainty Bess, an old HT who I have to get again, as this winter killed the one I had.

I prefer all my roses to be extremely disease resistant. I live in New York, and most roses are prone to blackspot. I do not like to use fungicid. Two trouble-free ones in my garden are the beautiful New Dawn rose and the minature Little Fairies. My Abraham Darby Rose, which is tagged disease resistant, is prone to blackspot, but I adore the rose anyway. If anyone - especially from my zone - knows of another please let me know. TKS.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Caroll, I have a good bunch of them that are disease resistant and smell good, some even rebloom - rugosas, an alba, floribundas, send me an email about where you are and we can talk hardy, disease free roses. I'm at the western end of the state, by the way.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I like florabunda, climbers, shrubs, and grandafloras. We don't do well with HTs so I don't mess with them anymore.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Well... the flowers are pretty, but don't seem to be worth the hassle, and, I just can't take the smell. Sorry rose lovers, to me they have the most obnoxious odor, you'll not find any in my yard!!

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

OGRs first and foremost! Then modern shrubs, and for me this includes the English roses. Climbers and ramblers are high on the list, as they bloom even in moderate shade. Minis are also way high as so easy to grow, and they can be brought inside and forced for winter blooms. Roses in winter, hmmm :D

Hybrid Tea, Floribunda and Grandiflora are at the bottom, because of all the care they require, just not worth it for the day or two of the high-centered bud. Most blown HTs are ugly IMO.

Baa and her weeds ;D

Carroll, my Abraham Darby is very tolerant of blackspot. He defoliates several times a summer, but keeps on blooming...

(Zone 5a)

I love them all and there is nothing so pretty as a rose in bloom as you will see in the photo.

Thumbnail by windsurffer
Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

I love the climbers...a lush fall of roses over a trellis or arbour is quite a site! This was a hard choice for me as I love all roses, especially the hybrid teas, as well.

San Francisco, CA

I have just one rose, Peace, and I would have more if I had more room and also a better climate.

On the other hand, sometimes I think I want to just get rid of it. Everytime it comes down with black spot and it is a huge amount of work, I dream about how much easier life would be without it. I have told my gardener, I want to get rid of it and asked him to dig it up. But, then he says, wait till it is dormant and by then I have changed my mind again.

I also like climbers quite a bit, but I don't have any.

Manhattan, KS(Zone 6a)

I love all roses, but voted for shrub roses, my current favorite. Manhattan, Kansas is hot, humid, with significant winters. My personal experience with my garden and the KSU public rose garden where I volunteer is that the shrub roses are practically indestructible. They bloom from early Spring through snowfall. They require no pampering, no spraying, and sensible fertilizing. I recommend in particular 'Knockout' ( deep pink/red) 'Chuckles' (true pink/white center) and 'Nearly Wild' (pure pink).
The beautiful hybrid teas struggle to thrive, continually battling blackspot.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I voted for climbers because they are so wonderful, but in this wee garden of mine it is the mini's I have room for. They are supposed to have some with fragrance now but I am still waiting to get those.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I voted climbers and ramblers...but my main concern is that they take care of themselves with very little upkeep.I'm hot and humid and fungus and other ugly stuff is rampant.

Hotchill...welcome to DG.I wish I could help,but don't know much about roses.If they live and bloom,then they get to stay in my garden.I'm a veggie person who likes to pretty up my yard.

Hey,y'all...can anyone help out hotchill???

labbie5...welcome as well.There's lots of wonderful stuff here at DG.Jump in and join us!

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

Mt peace Rose tree. It could be a floribunda since it is sob big, but I am still learning alot about roses!

Thanks, Traci S

Suquamish, WA(Zone 8a)

I love my Mr Lincoln....it is deep red with a wonderful fragance......:)

Centereach, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here....I voted Floribundas, because i live On Long Island NY, I have had the best luck with them...I have 2 Mr. Lincolns, 2 JFK, 2 Peach colored ones, and a white one...they have been doing wonderful since ive had them.....i really baby them.....feed them when i should, spray them when i should....

i just planted miniature roses that i had inside to a minirose garden that i created from a semi circle in my front yard that wouldn't grow grass....these mini roses were given to me by my mom....i hope they do GOOD.....

westbrookville, NY(Zone 5a)

i love the bush and climbing roses for the simple fact that they make a nice natural fence where you don't want your little ones to go and they carry anice fragrance in the air i've just started adding a nice variety to my yard in front of the river so that no one gets to close to the edge and falls in.have a great day and happy gardening.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I have to agree with MaryE, Wintermoor, Windsurffer & others: I love them all! But, especially the fragrant ones. I have a soft spot for yellow ones, too, as those were my great grandmother's favorite (she died when my Mom was young) and also my Mom's favorite. Mom has always grown yellow roses wherever she has lived to remember her Mom by. She has some lovely ones in bloom right now. I am continuing the tradition. Just a few bare roots linking me to a grandmother I never knew ;-)

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I voted David Austin. I am not a rose person, because in my survival-of-the-fittest garden only plants that require no work and can duke it out on their own with the others make it. However, last summer I bought a pale pink Austin rose on impulse at the garden center because it was so stunningly beautiful. I planted it in an awful place, exposed to wind, blowing snow, occasional driveway salt, and my mother-in-law's bad driving. We had a terrible winter and that rose came through like a champ. It wasn't mulched, and still had dead leaves on it from an early hard freeze. I cut it back to about 8 inches in early May, and it is now more than two feet high and wide and covered with buds. What more could I ask?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Lots of new folks! Welcome all to DG!

kmom...I love red ramblers.My grandmother had one that covered one end of her clothesline. Thanks for the memories.

I love all Roses and flowers but living in West Texas it is hard to grow them because of the extreme heat here. Some types can be grown and I have a very pretty yellow rose bush on my front lawn.

Dripping Springs, TX

I voted for other--Anything the deer won't eat, sun won't scorch and the drought won't kill. I'm easy to please.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is Gardener Trish who thinks 'Morning Blush', a Hybrid Alba, is out of this world!

Thumbnail by lupinelover

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.