seed sowing the Deno way

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

my last set of Pelargoniums and Geraniums sowed have had a poor show probably because of the time of year and slight neglect to keep watered properly.

anyway, I sowed more on Friday using the Deno method. This is done by placing the seeds onto folded, moist kitchen towel and then putting them into a plastic bag and then sticking them into the room that holds the hot water tank. after a few days check on the seeds to see what is going on. dead seeds will be mouldy which can be removed. healthy seeds will stay fresh and when the produce a long root can be potted up. this whole process does away with the long wait to see if seeds will pop up in pots of compost. it is especially good for special and rare seeds.

Jane who used to be a member of DG has the info on her web site http://www.frogswell.com/page10.html

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I remember Jane! I'm glad you posted her site. I'm a big fan of the "Deno" method. I do a lot of my seeds that way.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Very interesting! I usually tape the plastic bags to the window unless they need dark. It sure save me a lot of time and dirt money a couple of years ago. LOL

Jane joined way back in January 2001

what exciting news this morning 3 days after sowing my seeds the Deno way. I have more germinating seeds than I have from planting seeds in compost way back on March 31st. Every packet has at least one seed with a root and one packet has all seeds germinating.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

That's brilliant news - that'll teach me to answer my emails before looking on DG LOL!

I definitely intend to try this at the first opportunity

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Interesting - have never heard of this method under this name, but have been doing this for years on a hunch with my morning glories and have been very successful.

I'll have to try to find this book!

as far as I know the book is only available from him. I'm sure my friend Jane wont mind me lifting info from her site.

Norman C. Deno's work, Seed Germination Theory and Practice, is self published and distributed by the author Norman D. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry.The book is priced at $20.00 postpaid anywhere in the World. The First Supplement ($15.00) and Second Supplement ($15.00) are also available postpaid anywhere in the World.

Send all orders to:

Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
139 Lenor Drive
State College, PA 16801
USA

Payment Methods

Prepayment is requested to simplify accounting. The books are mailed within 3 business days of receiving remittance. Personal checks are accepted provided they are drawn on a United States bank or a foreign bank with a U.S. affiliate. Checks drawn on Canadian or English banks with no U.S. affiliate cost an exorbitant amount to clear and cannot be accepted. International money orders are acceptable but expensive. Many people worldwide have sent U.S. bills, and while not normally advisable, payment was received without problem.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I got the first book thru e-bay. I sent away to him for the 2 supplements. He sends them right out. I think his germination experiments are invaluable.

from now on I'm a convert to the Deno way

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It kills me to have perfectly good seeds not germinate. It's another thing to kill them after they germinate - LOl.

here is what happened after only 3 days in kitchen towel.

The results are:-

seeds sown on March 31st in compost - 27 seedlings

seeds sown on May 23rd the Deno way - 33 seedlings

Thumbnail by mark

It's just so brilliant that this method means you don't have to waste valuable time effort and space on seed which is never going to grow - and you can pamper the good babies from the word go

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I always sow fast germinating seeds this way. Asphodoloides, Pratense, Oxonianums etc though I just tend to sow them flat and cover with plastic. Never tried it in a warm cupboard. Thanks for the tip. I have to say though that my germination rates were excellent this year. I have found that to get the best results from hardy geraniums you have to almost overwater them until germination starts then lay right off.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Very cool thread! I've been having trouble getting some special gourd seeds to germinate and have been using the paper towel method. Perhaps they don't like the light?

as an update I'm now on 49 seedlings using the Deno method

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

I read the article you posted on the Deno method. I've done this with some of the pelargonium seeds I bought this year and had pretty good results in the paper towel. But when I potted them up, most of them died. I had more success finally with the ones I sowed using the winter sowing method.

But perhaps my problem is that I potted them up incorrectly. I planted them just like you would plant any seedling, but did I understand the Deno instructions to say that you put the entire, already germinated seeds below the soil when you pot them up? Is that the way you do it?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes roshana. When the seed sprouts it sends out a root before the leaves. You plant them with the root down and lightly cover the seed with soil. Usually it'll push up it's first leaves with in a couple of days.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Poppysue. That's what I did wrong! This morning I "Denoed" 17 paper towels worth of seeds that didn't sprout from my winter sowing group. Now when they emerge, I'll put them under the soil and see how they do.

some of mine already had a stem growing. These were planted with the seed on the surface and the roots below the compost. those with only roots were just put under the compost

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Thanx for the tip M8,

I'll be trying this out as soon as poss., and of course giving any positive results.

If nothing positive happens, expect a bill from me (Scottish to the hilt, eh!), for the loss of my 'oh! so valuable seeds' ;-)

Ta much again

Wintermoor

I was in your country yesterday visiting Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh. Excellent place. I'll be back real soon.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I use the paper towel method sometimes, and I've also used little squares of sponge, the roots grow into the sponge and stay moist, then I plant the sponge and all without having to disturb the baby roots. this year I had the best luck using a few spoonfuls of damp peat/vermiculite in a plastic bag, it's easier to see if they are sprouting, and that way if I don't have time to plant them for a few days and they start getting little leaves, they won't rot. (I put them all in the oven with just the light on to keep them warm until they germinate.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What fantastic ideas that NEVER occurred to me!

Yes, I have used the paper towel method both successfully & unsuccessfuly, depending on the variety of seeds trying to be germinated.

It never occurred to me to use a sponge! What type of sponge do you use? A clean rectangular kitchen sponge cut in half or quarters or a luffa sponge that could be grown in one's garden?

Also, the idea of damp peat/vermiculite in a plastic bag is another wonderful & easy method for sprouting seeds that need stratification (first cold then warm temperatures).

Many thanks for this valuable thread!

I'm in the Highlands at the moment Barry, and loving every second! fabulous country! Staying on the Black Isle, but have travelled around a fair bit West and south of here.

Sorry to go off subject Mark - am following it with interest :)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Carena, I have used the "sponge method" for rooting cuttings for years. It works so well, and I just plant the sponge and cutting, the cutting stays moist and feeds off the biodegradable sponge - works SOOOOO well. You can use liquid or powder rooting hormone, soaking the sponge with it, put it at the bottom of a glass or pot, and things root so easily. I use clear plastic glasses so I can see the roots forming. I love this method!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes, KayJones, what type of sponge do you use? Store bought, luffa, other? I can't wait to try this!!! Sounds like it gives the roots some nice support, too, when you transplant the seedling!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I guess you could use any type, I buy the cheapo 10 for a dollar kind, the ones that are kind of foam-like (??) they get really soft and flimsy when they are wet,, gee it's not easy to describe sponges!! I just cut them into pieces and drop the seeds on, or for bigger seeds I cut a little slit in it to put the seed into, whatever works!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I figured they had to be clear, but I guess white sponges would do. I just couldn't imagine a clear sponge ~ lol! Thanks for the tip :)

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Does this method work for tomato seeds?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Morph, I just planted some gourd seeds that I put in a paper towel/baggie and they only took 5 days, and had great roots already. I had soaked them overnight in water first.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Cool, tiG! I've been using this method a lot this season, but for those really touchy germinating seeds, I've gone to a moistened mixture of perlite sometimes mixed with a little vermiculite. Then, I put the tempermental seeds into this so hopefully the weight of the paper towel doesn't discourage them.

I had some REALLY tough luffa ball seeds to germinate and this helped some.

Here's a picture of a few moonflower seeds I started 2 days ago! I soaked a few for about four hours first but, still, I was amazed at how fast they are emerging!

Thumbnail by Morph
Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh, I forgot to add that I have created a verb out of the "Deno Method". It's just easier to say I "denoed" them ☺

Rutherfordton, NC(Zone 7a)

This has been MOST helpful. I was referred to this thread by Jules_Jewel. Thank you!! I have several packets of antique seeds and have no idea if any of them will germinate. I'll try several of these methods and see which ones work. If none works, I'll assume it is the 50-yr old seeds.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Somewhat related is using toweling or newspaper to space out seeds at the proper spacing in a row. HGTV has 3 different, but very similar methods. Each uses a paste to glue the seed down at a given interval. http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_bulbs_seeds/article/0,,HGTV_3553_1378253,00.html and http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gardening/article/0,,HGTV_3546_1370006,00.html and http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_lawns_maintenance/article/0,,HGTV_3600_1382901,00.html

There are also a couple of reference to the equivalent of Denoing, such as http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_other/article/0,,HGTV_3609_1371297,00.html

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OH MY!!!!
I gotta try that!!!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Okay, I can't help but show you how well these are doing just three days later!

Thumbnail by Morph
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Way to go, Morph!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks *blush*

I put them outside last night & something sure did like them ~ they have a few holes this morning :(

They also shriveled a bit but it didn't get THAT cold!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I got into the 40s here last night. I can't believe it's almost the end of June and I still have to wear a coat to work!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

My theory which is more my hope is that summer is just being shifted this year by a month or two... I'll just wither if we get an early winter on top of this late summer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.