Love this one...simple, but pretty sedum

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Don't know the name. The nursery didn't have a tag on it. It spread from a tiny container plant (less than 1 quart container I'd say) to over 3 or 4 feet in diameter in one season! Very hardy here in zone 6 too.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by hczone6
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

is this maybe a Dragon's Blood of sorts, hc???????

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Not dragons blood. I have that one, and it's kinda red. This one stays fairly light green. You can't see the 'foliage' for all the blooms right now.

Valley Village, CA

Not 'Dragon's Blood' I have that one, and it is a deep red.
My book says it's a hybrid of S. spurium or in German S. spurium 'Schorbuser Blut'

I certainly cannot recognize the one in the picture, I would need a very close up view of the leaves and flower, and if I got lucky I could find it in the book. If it is important to you, I willing to give it a try. Norma

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's a better view of the foliage

Thumbnail by hczone6
Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

I have it everywhere! I consider it invasive. Friends I've given this to in the past are still cussing me today. It is a hardy little devil, and quite pretty in bloom...but it sure takes over around this place.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh yeah...it does seem to do very well if you grab a piece and throw it down somewhere else. I already need to trim it back to keep it away from a few plants...but for the spot it's in right now, it does what I want it to do. If it were deep-rooted and nasty like ajuga, I'd rip it out and mow it up in the lawn...hehe It seems easy enough to remove from unwanted locations right now.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

hc,
I didn't even know they sold it around here.
It grows wild everywhere around us.

When ours gets leggy and wornout looking we just sweep it off w/ a broom.
Water and in a week or two it's right back better than ever.
I'm not real sure it's a sedum though.

Here's ours just peeking up in the back and foreground this April.
As you can see it gets everywhere.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I actually bought mine down in Pigeon Forge, TN while on vacation. They didn't have any plant tags with it, so I didn't know the exact name. I like it for quick groundcover where nothing else will grow. Kinda like the prickly pear...throw a little down and watch it grow :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

hc,
Try Sedum sarmentosum (Stringy Stonecrop) in PDB.
I think it's the one we're looking for.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That sure looks like it. Must be it.

Valley Village, CA

For what is worth, I think Ric is right, I have never seen this species before, no wonder I didn't know it.
I wonder what specie it might be, well I guess the search will begin. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.