Looking for Giant Reed Grass

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

There is a beautiful, verigated, tall grass in the horticulture garden on campus. It's call Giant Reed Grass. It stands approx. 15 ft. tall and would be an excellent privacy fence. I have been unable to locate this grass in SW VA. Does any one have suggestions for purchase? Even mail order catalogs do not have this grass.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Try looking for Arundo donax variegata. It is awesome isn't it?! I got one from a friend last year but I don't think it made it. If you are able to get a stalk where you saw it, they will root at each node if laid in water.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't think I've ever seen it on sale anywhere. I got mine from a guy down the road. I believe he said he brought it back from Florida. I do not provide any winter protection and it seems to do ok here. It gets a little damage, but it's strong enough to come back bigger each year.

Mine is on the right in the photo...you can't miss it (if you've seen it before)

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've got a few new photos from today. It should be a very impressive clump this year. It's finally filling out.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Farther away

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I just got a small start of that,they said it can grow in the pond,

Can it?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This site lists it as a marginal: http://www.pondmart.com/maraqplan.html

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmm...I'm not sure about that. Someone else on here might know, or you might be able to find more info out on the web. I planted mine in a natural valley where it stays more moist than the rest of the yard because the rain water runs down through there. It gets pretty dry in the summer though.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

GREAT pictures - thanks hczone6 ! It's a beautiful grass and even with wonderful photos like yours, you can't imagine the beauty of the grass at 15+ ft. It's stunning. I hope to gather a few starts from the one plant available at our hort. garden. You would think this would be available at nurseries - it would make a great privacy fence.

thanks to all

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

HC ~~~

You've got a very nice collecton of grasses. Always enjoy your pics.

And then...:

A fellow I know who gardens at http://www.wavehill.org/ has this growing at the edge of but not in a formal goldfish pond where it stays quite damp yet not soaked. He says it does not truly favor standing water.

Adam.

Lindale, TX(Zone 8a)

My grandmother had a large area of this grass at her home nearly 50 years ago. I had forgotten all about it. That photo sure brings back good memories.
Bill

Petersburg, VA

Quote from shihtzumom :
There is a beautiful, verigated, tall grass in the horticulture garden on campus. It's call Giant Reed Grass. It stands approx. 15 ft. tall and would be an excellent privacy fence. I have been unable to locate this grass in SW VA. Does any one have suggestions for purchase? Even mail order catalogs do not have this grass.

Looking to sell your gold for cash in Coimbatore? Sri Sakthi Gold Finance offers a trustworthy solution. With a reputation for fair evaluations and transparent transactions, Sri Sakthi Gold Finance ensures you receive competitive prices for your gold assets. Whether you have old jewelry, coins, or bullion to sell, their professional team facilitates a seamless process, providing prompt cash payments. Trust Sri Sakthi Gold Finance in Coimbatore for a reliable and convenient experience when liquidating your gold investments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.