HOUSE PLANTS HELP

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

never had luck with house plants. last dec my wife was given two plants and to my surprise they are still going strong. one plant has a label stating its a pointsetter non red br. it has 10 inch stems with reddish and white leaves on top of each stem. i have watered and fertilized it as i alwasy do and now i have green leaves growing under the red ones. the other plant is a dracaena. the label reads "grown for its attractive oval or lance shaped leaves. this plant seems to have both these types of leaves. the dracaena has more than doubled in size. i know i have to repot them but can i put them outside in containers or are they strictly house plants. labels on both say bright light. appreciate any help i can get. i hate for them to end up like all my others.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

BOth can go outside when it is not cold outside. But I would start them in outdoors shade and ease them into full sun.

Remember all houseplants grow outside somewhere ithe world, even if in the shade of a jungle or rainforest.

Poinsettias are native to Mexico and since it seldom freezes and then for only a few hours at most, and it doesnt freeze every year, the plant can reach 20 ft tall or more. They are grown in people's outdoors gardens! In the ground not pots.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

LAVANDA - THANKS FOR YOUR INFO. I WILL DO AS YOU SUGGEST. FOR A MINUTE I THOUGHT NO ONE WAS GONNA ANSWER ME. THANKS AGAIN

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

You are welcome. I just happened on it by chance.

Ewverone is kinda distracted now on DG since it is the height of "being outside" season.

Hugs, Lavanda

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

no "being outside" season here :(
This darn rain just doesn't know when to quit

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Susan, if you don't like the rain, send it to us! We had a record dry May, which is supposed to be our wettest month. But it's still difficult to spend much time outside, what with the mosquitoes, grasshoppers, fire ants and biting flies. I often wonder why I keep trying to garden with all these obstacles. Must be a true masochist.

I would put some systemic poison into the soil of those plants before putting them outside. That will keep insects from setting up housekeeping and then moving into your home in the fall when you take the plants back inside.

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is a good web on Poinsettias:

http://www.fernlea.com/xmas/poininfo.htm

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

HEDANDAN - THAT INFO SURE WAS HELPFUL THANKS ALOT. THE PLANT SEEMS TO BE GROWING WELL

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Your Welcome!! Am very happy to be of help.

Hedy :-))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.