help needed

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i picked up a piece of ? at home depot that had fallen off of a hanging basket. i don't know the name of it but it is a popular one. its blooms are pink and then it opens up and has a another purple set of petals that come down and the stamen hang down below that. i think if i hear the name i might be able to identify it.
so if you can guess what this plant is, can you tell me how to propogate it so i can get some roots on it and have it for a hanging basket too.
it is sitting in a glass of water now.
thanks ever so much, debi

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Fuschia maybe??

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like fuschia to me too! I don't know about propogation, water sounds as good as anything. They like mostly shade.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

How hard did you have to bump it until a piece fell off? lol

Sounds like Fuschia to me also. They are supposed to root easily in water. Another method is to root in Oasis, kept moist, then plant the whole thing. Good luck! John

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

what a way to get cuttings! Do you think they'd mind if i took a bag in and filled it up with whatever falls off the baskets i bump? HAHAHAHAHAHA Good Luck with whatever it is!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lol you guys crack me up. fuschia that is it. yep. i was in line and there it was on the ground. i swear. :-)
normally i'm hunting in the bulbs and tubers looking for loose ones, so i can go through line and say "these were loose can i have them?"
well i'll just keep it in the glass i have it in then. oh, should i take the flower buds off? the piece is about a foot long and has about 5 or 6 branches to it. how deep should the water be?
thanks you, this is my first thing to propogate like this.
debi z

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

It's a foot long? lol I don't suppose you shoved it in your pocket then, eh?

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi debi_z, yes, the flowers should come off (sorry). I guess a couple inches of water, don't let it get cloudy.

Were you throwing a bag of bulbs at the hanging basket when the cutting 'broke' and the bulbs fell out 'loose'? hehe

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

now i'm certainly not going to tell you all my secrets. i asked the woman and she said i could have it. so thrllllllllll. better go take those flowers off and dump some of the water out of the glass.
to bad i couldn't figure a way to get those gerber daisy's, geraniums and dahlia's for nothing. hmmmmmmmm???? have to keep thinking. hey maybe if the pot was missing. what ya think?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.