Seedling growing temps

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Help! My habit has overtaken the house! I am thinking about moving my seedlings to the basement. However, it is much cooler down there, and I'm wondering if that is a good thing, and just how cool can they tolerate and still thrive?? What about tomatoes, don't they love heat?? I will check the temp down there today to see just what it is.

I read a post somewhere that said they grew their seedlings in a room with a lowered temp. And it does make sense, because it's not always warm outside in the spring!! Any advice is welcome! Thanks, Legit

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Legit, it seems to me that many seeds require enough warmth to germinate, but then prefer to be grown on at cooler temperatures; this might make hardening them off easier also. Tomatos do like heat, and won't do much until it gets hotter- but the seedlings would probably be less spindly and greener if grown under cooler conditions until planted outside. The trick is to place everything as close to the lights as possible. John

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

John, I have them as close to the lights as I can get them, but I was thinking the heat factor may be making them grow too fast. It's pretty warm in here, especially on a sunny day. What would be the lowest temp you'd advise growning at? I can see that this would make hardening off much less painful. I winter sow also, so I know they can take some pretty low temps with no problem. Thanks, Legit

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Legit I don't know how cool your basement is but I grow mine upstairs right now & turn my heat back to 63-65º at night & I don't have a problem. I keep my plants 2" about below the lights.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Seedlings from winter-sown seeds will be much cold-hardier than those started indoors- in other words, the ones you have under lights will not tolerate quite as much cold. To answer your question, I would imagine 40's and 50's shouldn't hurt them? That's about the temperatures when I start hardening off... Good luck! John

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.