Sedums and Sempervivums

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Just wondering how many of you succulent lovers collect sedums. I just love em, only have about 9 different ones but always looking for new ones. I have a border in front of one of my flower beds thats about 10' long and 3' wide that is covered with all my sedums.

Last year I got a few different sempervivums...now just gotta have more of em too, LOL.

Any other sedum and semp. lovers out there?

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

I hear that they root in water. Is that so. Would you be interested in trading some cuttings for a sensitive fern or an unnamed hosta...
Sandy

Thousand Oaks, CA

Sedums are nice looking ,but I like things that do well outdoors here in So Cal, and most sedums do not... but I have a few that make a nice ground cover that are doing well.. but have no clue what species are which.. sorry.

Botany Bob, why do they not do well outside in your area? Is it too hot for them, or too cold? Surely not the latter, I'm thinking. Or is there another factor?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have 5 different ground cover sedums and autum joy and then one with red flowers and i bought a burgundy plant with burgundy blooms last year! i luv them i want the white blooming one next and the matrona(sp)one too!!!! ;]
dori

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Glad to see some other sedum lovers out there.

Sandy they root so very easily, I'd gladly send you some, drop me an e-mail.

Botanybob I am curious as well why they wouldn't do well there.

Dori I don't have any white flowering but as mine bloom I'll be posting the pics in my journal...feel free to have a look and let me know if there are any you'd like.

This message was edited Tuesday, May 29th 6:51 PM

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Hi there Jody!
I think I'm up to over a hundred sempervivums, most named and I've been expanding my sedum collection. Some of the sedums don't do well for me..probably to hot and humid. I found a cute grey mossy looking sedum just a couple weeks ago, unfortunately it had no name. Time for a little research.I've started a smaller collection of echeverias , cactus, kalanchoes but since I have to bring the pots in for winter, I'm trying to keep that collection numbers down.
Happy Gardening,
Peggy

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Wooowwwww Peggy!!! I'm so envious of your sempervivum collection! Hopefully my collection will keep growing this year. I just got a new sedum over the weekend, but couldn't find a new semp. at the nursery I was at. :)

I have such terrible mealy bugs, I really resist rosette, clumping plants. I am getting a decent selection of sedums though. Even though I'm not too far from BBob (?).

One of my favorite sedums came from my grandmother in Colorado, winters over and everything. One of the most reliable bloomers I have ever seen!

I'm too chicken for semps, all my house leeks leaked away their essence due to terminal mealies!

Sigh.

Willing to dream about them though!

Cena

Lorain, OH(Zone 5b)

I love my Dragons Blood sedum, and Donkey tails sedum, My boss'es Mother gave me a pretty varigated type last week, I use the common green stuff for every thing from "Living Wreaths" to packaging material when I send out other plants. I just divided my Autum Joy (I have red & pink) and put in 2 new beds, I have 3 types of Hens & Chicks. I want to learn more about these plants. Can anyone recomend some info sources?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Hey Jody,
Just made an exchange with another semp nut, she sent toooooo many to count so I am now well over the 100 mark...but sadly this means I have to build another rock garden....oh shucky darn! What part of the lawn to rip up now...*BG*
Peggy

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

LOL Peggy! Such a dilemma eh?! heheee.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Jody,
Yes, it just killing me to think I have to dig up more yard to make another rock garden...he,he...then I've been eyeballing the front driveway we never use any more...I got a nice big sledgehammer...he,he,he!

North Wales, PA(Zone 6a)

I just planted dragon's blood sedum as ground cover around dwarf ivory halo dogwoods. This is my first experience with sedums. Can anyone provide advice? They get sun from early to about 1 p.m. It is a bit damp back there when it's rainy. I amended (???) the soil with quite a bit of peat moss.

Any help much appreciated!

Here goes again, something happened to my post just made. I was saying that my favourite sedum is Sedum Kamtschaticum, which in its beautiful colours is very similar to our Irish flag - except for the beautiful red, jewel-like buds. Does anyone have this sedum, and has it a common name in the U.S.?
Cena, what is the botanical name for dragon's blood sedum? And Sansman, sedums outside prefer a stony, sandy-type soil - rather similar to yur cacti and succulents indoors - peat will, though inclined to dry out on its own, only retain moisture in a dampish soil and is therefore not a good idea for sedums.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi sansman
Sedums do like it a bit dry, with sandy soil preferably, and as long as they get 5-6 hours of sun they will be happy.

Olympia, WA

yah!! i just went sedum and semp crazy!!! got about 15 varieties of sedums in little pots and 6 varieties of semps. i think i know the name of half of them. someone just got me into lewisia and i love them simply because they look like semps except different style of flowers. and i bought a saxifrage and 3 different ice plants simply because they look like sedums. i swear today is my last day plant shopping. i swear!!! that is unless the nursery gets a new variety of sedum, semp or lewisia in. i can't resist.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i only have 1, its a sedum reflexum and would like to get more, which are the best for bright colours?

lil

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

LOLOLOL quynh
Nice to see you were "bitten", heheheee.

Lil are you thinking of any particular color? There are lots of different ones. I've got to finish taking pics of mine but feel free to view the ones I have in my journal.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

jody - i'd like some red or purpley ones, i love warm colours, i also liked the Sedum Kamtschaticum vareigatum that u had a picture of with the spiders webs, i love anything unusual! I'll look forward to seeing the rest of your piccys when they're done!

lil

Jody,

I have Tall Sedum alboroseum for trade - if you are interested.

Click on the Hyperlink below: (And I also listed a Succulent Society Sale at the bottom of my homepage):

http://hometown.aol.com/jones90319/myhomepage/index.html

Sue

Mealies are a problem with sedums, semps and other crassulacea. I use Marathon (Imatocloprid), which is hard to get here, even though it is much less toxic than older insecticides. They sell it for commercial users in 5 lb. containers, which cost around $125. But, being a systemic granule you only need to use about 1/4 tsp per pot, so a half pound would last most people for years. Semps and their close relatives the aeoniums are especially susceptable to root mealies. I stopped growing them until I got Marathon.

My favorite sedums are the sub-tropical Mexican species. They grow like echeverias and have such interesting forms and colors. They are also mostly ignored by succulent growers so are hard to find. I got about a dozen new ones from Squaw Mountain. They have a web site with on line catalog. Last year they sent me very nice plants. Their main listings are semps and hardy sedums. Of these my favorites are the many forms of Jovibarba heuffellii (or however it's spelled). They make stunning little container plants, look like more colorful versions of semps and grow just like semps.

Jon

Vinca, I'm sorry. I don't know the name for 'Dragon's Blood'. Perhaps MicheleN can tell us since she has the plant. Sounds intriguing!

I have so much trouble with pests and parasites. Now, I have an opossum munching on my succulents. Regular buffet for the little blighter!

Please let us know if you find an answer.

And Gee, how do I look at folks pictures' in their journals? I futz'd around in Jody's Journal, but couldn't get anything like a picture... I would so like to know!

Cena

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.