Advice for sowing Hardy Hibiscus

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I've got seeds from last year's rose mallow/hardy hibiscus.

But I'm a newbie to this ... is there anything special I need to know to sow these seeds? It's zone 8a here now; should I start indoors or just sow outdoors?

I would appreciate any and all help! Thanks!

Thumbnail by jules_jewel
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

SOAK them first! I keep them in warm water on top the frig!
Then I start them under lights and move out doors later but im zone 6 barely!!!!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

OK, I can do that!

How long do you keep them in the warm water??? (I killed my morning glory seeds by soaking them & drowning them). I have lights and I have outdoors ... no problem. ;>)

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Overnight is usually sufficient; some kinds will actually sprout overnight in the water! Watch closely. You can soak up to three days in a row, but use fresh hot tap water daily. Another trick with hardy Hibiscus moscheutos is to first place the seeds in the freezer for 24 hours, then soak! I'm borderline 6 and 7, so I usually give them a head start under lights.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

OK, I hear ya!

Freezing and soaking (or is that soaking and then freezing?) ... I CAN do that!
Then ... lights and then move outdoors ... I CAN do that too. I'm on it!

Can someone just clarify, is it freezing first and then soaking or vise versa?

Thanks! (geeeeze .... I'm so technical, aren't I????)

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

freeze first, then soak :o)

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Alrighty! My little seeds are in the freezer!
Thanks so much y'all! I appreciate all your help.
Send me your address and I'll send you some seeds.
They sure are pretty!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

You can also put them in a damp paper towel and a baggie for a couple of days til they sprout, then plant them. I would put them in a pot at first then transplant after 2nd set of leaves.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Azalea, I'm gonna try that too.

I'll let y'all know which works best .... freezing and soaking, or just putting them in a damp paper towel and a baggie for a couple of days til they sprout, then planting them.

Thanks!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Right, freeze first, then soak!

As far as your Morning Glories, you are right, sometimes they need soaking for as little as two hours. Have to watch them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.