Agave Victoria Regina

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I bought a Queen Victoria agave today and when I transplanted it I found it has a small off-set. Should I remove it and start another plant? If so, what's the best way to go about it?

I finally found one of these that I could afford so I want to be careful that I don't ruin it.

Valley Village, CA

Wait, it won't go away. There are many different clones, or varieties of this plant, each is more beautiful than the next. They seem to offset only when the plant is at a very young age, just wait, more may cluster for you. Norma

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the advice. :-)

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Judy what did you do with your little baby after all?

Love, Lavanda

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Little baby agave Victoria is still attached to mom. Some mothers just won't cut the apron strings. ;-)

Long Beach, CA

This is interesting, I too would like to have one of these agaves. I love the ones at the UCLA botanical gardens, Dorothy Mathias Botanical Garden, I believe that is the name. I remember the womans story though, she was a botany proff. at UCLA for maby years. Made great contributions to the study of plants. Their's are very compact, about the size of a small beach ball, bigger than a basketball. One is growing alone, So cute. Looks just like someone took a paint brush and painted the white markings on I love it, around the corner two, almost the same size as the first, are growing side by side, looks like they could be mother and daughter. I found the garden by accident, I go to one of the medical buildings with hubby once or twice a month.
My favorites are the red aloes and most of all, Aloe ciliaris, the climbing aloe. I think it is the " species ". Could that be right, Norma?
This does not look like the one labeled the same that I purchased at Target last Spring. When I looked up A.ciliaris on the web I found 2. One was A.ciliaris species and one was... Shoot, I can't remember! UCLA has it growing in 2 places. Inside the garden with other aloes, growing like a shrub, not as spectacular as some of the others, outside the garden covering a chain link fence by the entrance where succulents begin. WOW!!! Spectacular! I love this plant.

How big is your agave now? are the leaves very compact?
Debbie

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

I have that garden on my list of gardens to visit in So. Cal. . .Dorothy Mathias Botanical Garden? Is it one and the same as Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden? Will take me forever to get to all of them on my list and with new DG forum 'Public Gardens'. . .oh boy!! ;-D Janet

http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/bg-btx.html

Valley Village, CA

She was a professor at U.C.L.A. I know people that took tours with her. I wasn't one of them, I missed out, I wish I was informed. Some of those species have been made into dwarf plants, each is more beautiful than the other, they will have Japanese names, and you are so right, it looks as if Gelso was used to paint on the markings. They are true beauties. I'm growing some of the miniatures, it takes about 5 years until they get of a size I can offer to sell. This is as close to a cactus that I will get, they are succulents, having with a spine at the apex of each leaf. They are beautiful, enjoy your new plant and watch the watering during the winter, they can rot. Norma

Long Beach, CA

yes. I think you are right about the name. The succulent expert is nice. I haven't talked to him much, once a left a book in the garden and went to the office to see if it hsd been turned in. The office looked to me like DISNEYLAND to a 5 year old, building made of wood like from another time, and probably is. There are nice plantings tucked back there out of sight. the lath house is on the way,(this is the entrance across the street from medical school classrooms that are attached to the main medical center. This is the closest gate to the succulent garden, in fact, you might see people taking breaks on the brick wall that retains a bed of fuzzy, lemmon scented kalanchoe that resembles mint a little. sorry forgot the name.
THE LATH HOUSE.......
I would love to b3e able to go inside.
tillandsias, orchids, many jungle cacti, ferns. OH my! It looks like the garden of ... of...
you must peek in when you go.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.