Galapagos Opuntia source?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

While in the Galapagos I had to control myself not to swipe a pad! What a neat cactus. I have heard that there are some people with them, originally legally collected. Does anyone have a pad to trade? I'm not worried about which subspecies.
I have some interesting plants to trade, not everything is on my trade list here, Thanks.

Valley Village, CA

Hi

Dennis I can check around for you. We do have some old time growers collectors in my club which meets Thursday night. Remind me please on Wednesday, I always check my mail. I will ask Rogers, Bill, Duke, and a few more. We just might come up with the plant, if that doesn't work I will check where I work they have plants that are 100 years old. Asking doesn't cost anything. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Dennis I can't get it, the Huntington Gardems has only one plant at this time. They won't cut it up. The group members didn't have one at all. We had 68 at our meeting tonight.
Norma dba Crasulady2

Valley Village, CA

Dennis, I have now found a batch of them, with a documentation label saying the plant is from the Galapagos Island,however the Huntington doesn't trade, I don't how expensive they are I wouldn't think between $5.00 and $10.00 Is there more than one species, from that island? I don't know? Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Anyone have fotos of this ?

Thanks, Lavanda

Valley Village, CA

Lavanda, I'll bring the camera tomorrow and take my first picture including the documentation, and the price on it.
Hugs, Norma

Valley Village, CA

Lavanda, I will only respond to this opuntia thread. I don't want to start another subject here. Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

OK

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

They are photos from the net, not a new topic. (confused)

Valley Village, CA

I was hoping that they were picture of the opuntia, so I'll know if it is the right species. I'm just trying to help out, and see if I can get one. The right one, I'm sorry I didn't mean to be critical. Crasulady2

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Lavanda,
Your links are great! What fabulous cactus! I especially liked the last link to photo gallery with the dazzling Galapagos cactus! What an interesting place that must be. Thanks.

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

You are welcome, dahlin.

Although the yllow/green ones arent the opuntias that Dennis was looking for, they are sure stunningly beautiful, arent they ?

Glad you enjoyed it.

Love, Lavanda

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

This spineless opuntia is fairly common in certain areas of San Diego..Balboa park has some near the Canyon by #163 highway.I think they "Escaped" from collectors.

Valley Village, CA

Which species is Dennis looking for? Dennis speak up, is there more than I species. What island, I found some for sale at the Huntington Gardens for $5.00 I don't collect the species, they just don't like me. I don't mind sending it to you if you are a serious collector, but I don't want you to get mad at me if it takes over a garden. Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Dennis, which variety ARE you looking for?

It is the one that looks like a tree form (with a padless,
spineless trunk) with regular prickly pads on the top ?

Valley Village, CA

Dennis I hope you are not mad at us gals tring to help. You did not respond, are you made at us? Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.