Another ID help please

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

The edges of the leaves of this plant sometimes turns reddish. Near the stem, there is a chalky white powder. Is it a characterestic of this? I'm looking for its exact name also.

Thumbnail by Dinu
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Kalanchoe thyrsifolia ???... http://www.cactustropicalgarden.com/photos/succ/kalanchoe_thyr.html

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Hi Dinu,
it depends on the flower colour. Most likely it is Kalanchoe luciae ssp.luciae, which has pale yellow flowers and usually grows larger than K.thyrsiflora (note spelling), which has deep golden yellow flowers.
maddy

Valley Village, CA

I agree with Maddy, JT caught this error last year, and printed it in the CSSA Journal, I believe last year. We need to all pitch in and clear this error up once and for all. Maddy is right on the money.
I only want to add that my nose, I pick up a very sweet order on the yellow flowered one, and also it lays down when flowering, has more chalk and where we grow it not as red. It will make a nice basket plant. Kalanchoe thyrsiflora

Valley Village, CA

Dinu, I'm sorry the picture is showing very blue leaves. Does not show the chalk, it could even be a Echevieria which I sure in't right at all. But that is what I'm seeing. Let it grow on and give it more sun, to see what it shapes up to look like. I grow both plants. Norma

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

And then there is Cotyledon orbiculata http://www.lapshin.org/succulent/gallery.htm

No, it is definitely Kalanchoe, leaves folded together like that. Although Kal and Cotyledon both have paired leaves, in Cotyledon the pairs stand in a 90 degree angle to each other, in K.luciae or K.thyrsiflora only the very first two or so pairs grow at 90 degrees, the following ones are only offset by about 30 degrees. You know what I mean? You can see that clearly when you look at the plant from straight above.
Some Crassula species also grow like that, but there isn't any that could get confused with Kalanchoe as far as I know.

Colouring can vary tremendously. Although, very generally speaking, K.thyrsiflora seems to be less red and with less bloom. But the bloom-thing depends also on how much rain or overhead water the plant got. I have seen K.luciae which were almost entirely red, mine looks more glaucous like Dinu's plant. Light exposure, temperature, water and stress all influence the colour of the leaves which can be very variable even on the same clone, depending on the time of the year.

The inflorescence of K.thyrsiflora might be a bit more unstable than K.luciae, but not all are lying down to flower. This depends where they grow.
Basket, Norma?? If you mean hanging basket - no ways!

Here is the flower of a K.luciae ssp.luciae, photographed in habitat in February (late summer). Note the typical pale yellow petals and the distinct urn-shape. K.thyrsiflora would have petals the same deep yellow colour as the other flowering kind-of-thing blurred in the background.

Thumbnail by maddy

Here is another habitat picture of a K.luciae ssp. luciae elongating to flower.

Thumbnail by maddy

And a more intensely coloured one

Thumbnail by maddy

...and a flowering one. Note last year's dry inflorescence still standing there! The plant which flowered dies, but it makes new shoots from the base of the old stem.

Thumbnail by maddy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.