Erysimum, linifolium, "Bowles Mauve"

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

This started blooming about a month ago and last summer it lasted till late September. This plant is such a powerhouse for color for so long. This particular wallflower has a grey-green foliage too. I saw another wallflower today at the garden center called "Apricot Twist". I brought one home, I hope it is like its sister. I have a few plants of the old fashioned wallflower too.
Any other perenniels that you know that have such a long blooming season?

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I agree with you Lenjo I grow Bowles mauve too. Mine has only just started flowering but it is a wonderful splash of colour at this time of year. As you may know Lenjo I grow alot of Hardy Geraniums. These are mainly perennial and some flower from early June right until the first frosts!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, please post a picture of the new apricot blooms as soon as they appear. I would love to see it. Here in Northern CA my plant seems to flower all year-round, so far. It has doubled in size rather aggressively, I may have to move some of its neighbors!

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

mine has started flowering well out the front, but the one in my back garden has sort of split into two parts,
One half has the normal mauve, the other has whitey/pink flowers with mauve streaks in ,and some have a touch of yellow too.Very odd.

Thumbnail by sueone
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

HOw pretty.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Joann this is one of my all time favourites. By the way, I returned your mail and was hoping for an explanation...lol!!!!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I love the Erysimums!!
My 'Bowles Mauve' has just started flowering, but 'Apricot Twist has been flowering all winter! It's just lovely. I'm just about to trim it back and give it a little feed as the few remaining flowers at the moment are scruffy, but it has loads of new buds.

This one is just starting to flower too. It's the variegated 'Cotswold Gem'

Thumbnail by philomel
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I have been looking for Apricot Twist. I love my Bowles Mauve and John Codrington which looks like the other half of your mauve, sueone, palest yellow/mauve/gray/hint of rust. Cotswold Gem looks like my next expedition target. Lovely, philomel. Ain't Spring Grand!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It is indeed, lassie, I saw some different lychnises today. Faithful rose campion and maltese cross were the old standbys that I was familar with but now I see new ones of these too. I am so amazed at all the plant development going on. Also today I saw a corydalis that was a pink/maroonish color called 'Blackberry Wine'. I was sorely tempted but $10 for a gallon was a wee bit of a stretch. I have 'Blue Panda'.Here is a peek at it next to the primrose in my hand.

Thumbnail by Lenjo

Yes spring's swinging into action here too
I haven't found John Codrington Sunrize, must look out for that - and as many more of these beauties as I can!

I also have a small collection of pulmonaria. Here's my favourite so far -
'Diana Clare'

Thumbnail by philomel
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh yes, the pulmonarias are gorgeous. Isn't it amazing all plant development going on?

Finally got round to taking a photo of E Apricot Twist. It's a real beauty

Thumbnail by philomel

.....and here's one that's new to me, 'Warburton's Fragrant Sunshine'. Came across it at a garden centre today, so of course it had to go home with me
The scent is almost overpowering and it looks like a strong grower

Thumbnail by philomel
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

philomel, the foliage looks almost reddish on 'fragrant sunshine', I hope these last two are just as prolific growers as Bowles Mauve, that will be such a great addition to any garden.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Finally got round to checking this thread again. Philomel, 'Apricot Twist' is stunning! The Pulmonaria are truly lovely now aren't they--I enjoy them on a shady rock bank Palest blues to cobalt, strawberry pink to petal pink, and them the foliage from spots, to streaks, to silver. Renewal.

Yes 'Apricot Twist' is a winner! The flowers are actually a more beautiful colour than in the photo - a more subtle burnt orange. and I agree with you about the pulmonarias Sunrize

yes the foliage is quite dark on Fragrant Sunshine Lenjo and it's still looking a strong grower. I'm not sure if Apricot Twist isn't going to flower itself to death, but I've repotted and fed it so we'll see

Here's a photo of 'Cotswold Gem' now it's really underway. It's one of the chameleon ones with flowers of many colours and is quite a picture with the variegated leaves setting them off

Thumbnail by philomel

Another just starting to flower is 'Wenlock Beauty'

Thumbnail by philomel

Well Sunrize I told a lie!
Said I'd not found John Codrington and all the time he was sitting in a pot in my garden LOLOL
......and now he's flowering so I thought it might be time to resurrect this thread :)

Thumbnail by philomel
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

After posting this initially and seeing all the various beauties that you have posted Philomel, I have gone out and bought about 4 or 5 different ones. I didn't see Wenlock Beauty though, that pink is so sweet. I will have to go out and check my tags to see which ones I bought.

Oh, that's great Lenjo
I love the way they all change colour too - you can photograph them one day and the next time they've done a chameleon act and swapped to something subtley different,
although Warburton's Sunshine and Apricot Twist stay much the same
I look forward to seeing which ones you've found :)

Blenheim, New Zealand

HI!! I have arrived at this thread via Google. I was trying to ID two wallflowers, Hopefully someone here is able to help me. Nothing looks just quite the same, although it could be.

Thumbnail by bootandall
Blenheim, New Zealand

Both looked very beautiful in the park.

Thumbnail by bootandall

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.