Winter Sowing Worked!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Curiosity got the best of me . . .
Decided to "peek" today and was amazed! Will take pictures and post. This is the first week in Iowa that it will not freeze at night and daytime temps will be between 60 and 70. Peeking was just like opening a gift from Mother Nature. Will make a list of what was sowed and which ones have already shown their heads.

TLC

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

What did you sow?

Love, Lavanda

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear your getting some sprouts! It will be interesting to hear what comes up in your zone.

Happy Birthday, PoppySue,

Of course, poppies came up; will make a list tomorrow and post it on here.
TLC

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Congratulations on your successful "winter sowing"! I'd also be interested to see what you're growing and what has germinated to date.

I also "peeked" last weekend and had several of mine showing germination! However, some of them "lost" their name tags during the winter, and now I'll have to wait and be surprised once they bloom! However, I did write out a list of several dozen that I "winter sown", and it would be a process of elimination.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Mine have been coming up in the past week or so, there are some Pardancanda, most of the Hemerocallis, Salvia, Meconopsis, Adenophora. Winter sowing is wonderful, the plants are already hardened off, and vigorous; none of those lanky seedlings struggling under lights. John

Closer examination ~ many pans were very dry; Mother Nature did not do her watering. Soil depth was not good. some only 1" of soil. More soil might have helped retain the moisture.

The ones that have germinated look very healthy. Watered all and set in a shady place with the clear plastic tops opened a bit for air ventilation. Just bet you they will still germinate.

Pan 1
4 kinds of Sunflowers (Rise, Hort, T-M) ~ NO
Pan 2
Pink Poppies (Lori's) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ b'zillion of them 3/4 " tall!
Campanula-med purple (SeedLady) ~ NO
Campanula - white (Lori) ~ NO
Pan 3
Celosia Purple Flamingo (Don)(sowed some indoors Fri ~ are up!) ~ NO
Phlox drummondii Crem Brulee (T-M) ~ NO
Nicotiana Domino Salmon Pink (T-M) ~-NO
Pan 4
Dianthus Chinesis"Velvet & Lace"(Hort) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ b'zillion of them-tiny!
Asclepsias tuberosa Buttrfly Weed (Rise) ~ NO
Pan 5
Mixed Poppies(not sure where from) ~ NO
Lavender Poppies (CoCo) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ b'zillion!
Echinacea purpura White Swan Coneflower (Hort) ~ NO
Pan 6
Campanula Poscharskyana (Germania) ~ NO
Bacheler Buttons (Lori) ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 7 plants!
Brachycome Bravo Swan River Daisy (T-M) ~ NO
Pan 7
Ageratum houstonianum H1 Series Shell Pink Floss Flwr ~ NO
Pan 8
6 kinds of Cosmos (purchased seed) ~NO
Pan 9 (BONE DRY)
Mexican Hats Greyheaded Coneflower (Jodi) ~ NO

To those of you who shared their seeds ~ apologies for my ignorant mistreatment of them. And maybe with water they will still come up. If they do ~ will come back and report by editing this post.
Guess I was sorta sucessful . .

TLC

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

TLC, they may still be fine. In your zone they might be getting ready to sprout a little later. They've had their cold treatment, they are now receiving moisture, and there is a warming trend... I'd expect good results!

Today we set a record; so warm I thought I was in So Cal!
Drug out everything! Hope you are right and the seed will still be viable! TIME will certainly tell. So I sowed about 15 more today. Have not even had time to get on Dave's.
Tomorrow I will have to do REAL work!

he he

TLC

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm getting lots of sprouts now. So far there's lupines, dianthus, several lychnis & silene species. Some that I did in cell packs dried out too much. I have the best results with the coke bottles.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm going to try it this year, I am horrible at hardening off the plants I start indoors, winter sowing will solve that problem!

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

My WS stuff is finally beginning to grow also. Seems like I've been most successful growing green mold on top of a lot of them! But my spinach, broccoli, kohlrabi, sunflowers, poppies, hollyhocks, money plant, alyssum, rutgers tomatoes, shasta dasies, fennel and a few others are planted in the ground already. Many more have their first set of leaves and will be coming along quite quickly now I imagine. My favorites are the 2 liter bottles also. I hope to do them all in those next winter. IMO, this is the way to go!

Thumbnail by roshana
New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

~Bump~

hee, hee. Love it!

~* Robin

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Way to go!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.