Sansevieria Cylindrica

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Here it is as promised so long ago.

Thumbnail by Lavanda
Valley Village, CA

WOW, Those are nice plants, I spent the day repotting Sans. at the Huntington. Now I just have 30 more days to go. Norma Lewis

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

What do you mean, 30 more days to go?

Glad you liked it. She is a beautiful baby.
Sleek and long-legged and a beautiful forest green.

Valley Village, CA

Lavanda, and wait until you see how big she will get, she will look like a chorus girl. Tall and beautiful.

It will take 30 days to pot up and divide the rest of the collection at the Huntington Gardens. I have to crack the pots to get them out by using a rubber mallet. They are heavy, and the curator needs to work with me. He chooses what to keep and what to toss out. Then gives me instructions on how he wants it done. If the rosette has flowered out it goes, we keep only three offsets of young growth, we go through this process about every 3 years. I've seen stolens as big as my bosses arm heading out of the green house, it split a 30 gal. double lined pot. Norma

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

And do you get to keep the "undesireables"?

It must be tiring but rewarding work!

Good to hear from ya!

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Norma, it has sprouted one new limb about 3 inches long.

How do you think I should propragate, cut the new growth off and stick it in soil?

Or cut one the older, ;arger spathes?

Or cut one of the long ones, cut into sections and try rooting them all?

It has three larger spathes, and the one new baby one. Dont wanti it to look like it has been amputated.

Love, Lavanda

Valley Village, CA

I am having trouble finding this forum, my machine has not been set right since I changed new servers.
You can take an old unsightly leaf, and cut it up into 8" pieces and put them in the smallest pot that will hold all of them. Make sure you set the bottom end down. Try to make it a 2" shallow pot of any kind, or only put in 2" of soil. That will start them faster, they like to be crowded, so do so. They will grow by root divisions, with some growth, or just separate the leaves from each other. This will all work, when they don't have roots, barely keep them damp. You don't want to rot them, this time of the year rooting should be easy, they love the heat. Set their pots in the shade, I think your picture is San. clyndrica v. patula, judging by the curved leaves.
Mine came from the Vincent Price estate in Beverly Hills. I took a cut from the estate, and just without thinking set in a shady border, no pot. when it grew and I saw it I couldn't remember where it came from, thank goodness my husband remembered and told me. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I'll give you some options,1. You may cut up the oldest rosette after it has flowered, into 8" cuts, put each into a rose pot which is 1" x 4" tall. or if you can get more into the pot fill it. Make sure which is the bottom on the cut, don't get mixed up. Wait a week, then water thoroughly. Start to fertilize then as well after you have watered first.2. Or you can take the plants out of the pots and cut off a small rosette leaving on at least 2" of stolen, now set this into a pot and water if the stolen has roots, these are cut below the soil line. The bottom sheath leaves will also root, we put these into a shallow 3" pot. 3. or you may want to divide the pot of plants if there are multiple heads.

Any questions, I often don't explain things very well in writing. So please ask if I don't make myself clear. Norma

Valley Village, CA

No I don't get to keep the discarded throw aways. Darn

Norma,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.