damping off

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Alas! My little seedlings were doing just fine yesterday and today I discovered some of them had headed for that "Big Greenhouse in the Sky!" I've probably lost a third of them by now. I know it was discussed at one time about a tea that is supposed to prevent this? If its regular tea, I have Lord Grey, would that help?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Chamomile tea is usually recommended.

Powdered cinnamon is another possible remedy. Tea tree oil in the water, hydrogen peroxide in the water. Water from the bottom, not the top.

Keep the surface dry, run a fan to keep air moving just over the tops of the plants.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

with tiny seeds that are sown on top of the soil or just barely beneath the soil, the starting medium should be kept moist on top right? how long until you should you let the seedlings grow until you can let the top dry out?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

damping off is usually caused by crowded seedlings and poor air flow. I will be watering my everyday with a fine mister

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I need to fine me a fine "Mister" to help me water! lol
im jokin again! ;)

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Milled Sphagnum moss over the top of your growing medium along with bottom watering fixes the problem (before it starts of course)! Some are more suseptible than others...salvia, dusty miller and coleus to name a few!

HTH

Sandy

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

And the growing medium really needs to be sterile. That's right, Coleus are very susceptible.

dori: :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.