How long till there are roots on rose cuttings?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I was given some roses for Valentines Day and am trying to root them. I removed the blooms, recut the stems, dipped them in rootone and put them in vermiculite. I spray them a couple times a day and don't let water stand under the containers but keep it moist. They have all lost all the original leaves as I expected and some are now growing new leaves. How long will it be until I know if there are any roots forming or before they have enough roots to put in to individual or community pots to continue growth for a several months? Should I plant them outside this summer if they do indeed root or keep them in pots to bring back in next winter? I suspect they are HTs so will likely need to kept potted forever anyway.

Old Town (Gainesvill, FL(Zone 8a)

Well, when we root our roses it takes approx 4-8 weeks hahah big diff I know but depends on type of roses *(ours are old fashioned ones) We do same as you remove all leaves except brand new ones, dip in root tone and stick in a good potting mix. We pot ours from itty bitty liners into 1 gallons and after they root in the 1 gallons then they go in the ground :) Hope this helps

Katrina

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Katrina. Ours have been in the vermicutlite about 2 weeks now so I have a LONG way to go before any success will be noted.

sometimes 4 weeks depending on temperature mine seem to do very well between 70 and 80...

Katrina

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

are you sure a rose will grow on a flowering stem?

Rose cuttings are done in autumn and they are healed in in slots made by a spade. It takes them up to a year to root.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Mark, if I hadn't read so many articles by persons who have done this successfully I would agree with you as that is the norm. However many say they do this all the time so I thought I would try it myself. I'll let you know if I succeed. Actually you will likely hear me shouting for joy if I get roots and thriving plants from this effort.

We do our rose cuttings year round here, outside in spring, summer, fall and indoors in the greenhouse. All we do is cut off buds if there are any, diagonal cut at base (we even take up to 10 slices per stem) dip in rooting hormone and stick into good potting mix (verm, perl, peat etc) and they are rooted in 4-8 weeks, not sure what kind of roses you meant. The ones we do are the antique variety and seven sisters climbing rose.

Katrina

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I just received some seven sisters cuttings today in the mail. I took off the lower leaves, recut on a slant and put in warm water. Should I dip them in Rootone right away and plant? Do I put the container in a zip lock bag, or just leave it be in a warm spot? Thanks for the above information. Doris

If its chilly where you are I would dip in root tone and put in a warm spot, we never use ziplock bag. We root our seven sisters outside here, but of course its warmer. We dip and stick right away :)

Katrina

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

mark, although I should disqualify myself as NEVER having successfully rooted a rose despite numerous attempts using varie techniques, I have learned that a flowering stem provides the best cutting material...cuttings from a blind shoot, for example, may be difficult to flower as a new plant. I imagine it has something to do with reaching the flowering stage rather than the vegetative stage...

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

So if I see a gorgeous rose at the store I can take it home,snip off the flower and (TRY) root it and get a plant.How do you know if its hardy?

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

That's the problem, crestedchik, some of the varieties are best grown for the florist trade under certain conditions (like Ecuador) and would not make good garden roses. But, if you have them why not give it a try? I think it might help to give them a little nourishment first, before rooting, in the form of a diluted miracle-gro, as they have not been freshly cut. John

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, as usual, they stayed nice looking for a couple or three weeks then began to turn black. Never made any roots at all. Think I'll stop trying as it is always a disapointment. It is also probable that it has something to do with the fact that what we buy are hybrid teas and I never do well with those. We have one hybrid tea rose that has done well for us. It was a freebie from Springhill long ago and is called Audry Hepburn. Never see it anymore in the catalogs.

I called up the man who I used to work for that specializes in roses, because I lost a few myself, and he said that I needed to use builders sand to root them in and put them in shade until they are rooted. He said there will be some losses in spring that fall is the best time and to use a medium wood for cuttings. Not new growth but not real old :)

Katrina

I looks like my Seven Sister cuttings are beginning to turn black too. Where would the new growth start, on the stem or come from below?

I have had some both ways but the majority start from the stem i would say cut the black off until you reach green so it puts more energy into growing roots :)

Katrina

Thanks, will do! :)

Orrville, OH(Zone 6a)

My neighbor's bush rose cuttings that I am trying to root for them have been in perlite and sand for almost 4 weeks. They have top growth YAY!!!but no roots. I'll keep on waiting....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.